Giant Sequoia Help

Reaction score
IMG_0980.JPGI recently received this pre-bonsai stock and am new to bonsai. Two questions. Are there ways to get the tree to focus it's growth on the trunk thickness rather than the height? And secondly, do I need to trim any of the leggy limbs down?

Random User

Reaction score
Heaps of information on this site... use the search feature (upper RHS of this page) and you'll find all of the answers you need... well, most of them anyway.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It looks dead from here. But anyway, you don't need to trim anything to get a fat trunk with good taper on them. Just let it grow how it wants. I planted one in my garden 6 years ago and now it's about a foot thick at the base. Never been touched.
Actually it's growing so fast and tall it's getting a bit scary!

Reaction score
I hope it isn't dead lol. It's got a lot of bright green growth and you can tell what is new and old. It also has lil green shoots coming out of the trunk in a few places. It is supposedly 5yrs old and the trunk is between 1 3/4" and 2". Should I just put it in a slightly bigger pot and just feed it and let it grow for a couple more years. I have two more that I'm gonna put in the ground after I move I can just put it in the ground with them too. I have all the time I need just want to do what will help the trunk the most. Also should I take the moss off the top soil or keep it for now?

Attachments

• IMG_0991.JPG
    IMG_0991.JPG
    331.7 KB · Views: 68

Jim G

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I cant offer any advise since I'm new too but also have a sequoia that is going through my first overwintering in Michigan. Please add your location so we know what zone you are in.

Attachments

• 20160915_180234.jpg
    20160915_180234.jpg
    427.3 KB · Views: 61

Guy Vitale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Agreed, what's your location. In the Detroit area these are dormant and not to be messed with. It's common for Sequoia's to loose their lower branches especially when stressed. Don't go any bigger with a container until this one is full of roots. Also, if you want a thicker trunk, continue to let it grow out pruning longer branches beck just a tiny bit.

@MichaelS, how well do these grow in Australia, does it get that cold there?

@Jim G, how is your Sequoia wintering over, have you checked for moist soil?

Reaction score
I am in Bowling Green Kentucky. The container it was in was busted when I got it but the tree was completely root-bound with root tips sticking up out of the moss on the top. I intended on letting it grow I was just wondering if I could cut the long green new growth on the bottom limbs and them thicken up a little bit or if I needed to take the green bunches of new growth at the top if it would send more energy to the trunk. Also should I put it in a container closer to the size it was in. I think thats the mistake I made with my maples and they havent grown as quick as they could have.

Guy Vitale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would leave the foliage alone for now, it looks like some of the lower branches may die off anyway so you don't want to prune too much good foliage now. In KY, these should be dormant right now, protect the tree from wind, young sequoia's will die from wind desiccation very easily, but you won't know it until mid spring. It's also not the right time to mess with the roots, one recent transplant is enough for this year. Try to just keep it healthy this year, more foliage means more growth, more growth means thicker trunk. Here's one I lost to desiccation a couple years back when I brought it outside from the garage too soon one year.

Attachments

• IMG_0460.JPG
    IMG_0460.JPG
    332.4 KB · Views: 57

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I would leave the foliage alone for now, it looks like some of the lower branches may die off anyway so you don't want to prune too much good foliage now. In KY, these should be dormant right now, protect the tree from wind, young sequoia's will die from wind desiccation very easily, but you won't know it until mid spring. It's also not the right time to mess with the roots, one recent transplant is enough for this year. Try to just keep it healthy this year, more foliage means more growth, more growth means thicker trunk. Here's one I lost to desiccation a couple years back when I brought it outside from the garage too soon one year.

I used to have a very similar one. I lost it too, to my great disappointment because it was about time to give it a proper pot....

sequoia01_120103a.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
young sequoia's will die from wind desiccation very easily

I learned that these trees grow taller than their own capability to transport water from the roots so they rely heavily on water vapor in the air which they take in through the leaves....

I wonder if that mechanism doesn't make this doubly true.

Sorce

Guy Vitale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I learned that these trees grow taller than their own capability to transport water from the roots so they rely heavily on water vapor in the air which they take in through the leaves....

I wonder if that mechanism doesn't make this doubly true.

Sorce
I've heard the same thing over the years, that's how they can grow so massive, same with the Coast Redwood. It's very possible this is the case, but best I understand it is that in their native range young seedlings are completely covered by snow insulating them completely the first few years from the extreme wind and cold that would descicate the foliage otherwise until their roots are established enough, then they can take just about anything. It's believed that a Sequoia has a root spread that can stretch for a mile. So when we try and bonsai the Giant Sequoia we never give them the opportunity for their roots to run well throughout the earth, thus preventing them from being strong enough to be wintered outside like our other cold hardy species. Even when moving them outside from a protective cold fram you have to be careful not to do it too early, that's what killed mine. I've since started another one and some seedlings. I love the challenge.

Guy Vitale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I
I used to have a very similar one. I lost it too, to my great disappointment because it was about time to give it a proper pot....
indeed a bummer, we don't see Sequoia's much in Bonsai, when we lose one I feel it's that much more difficult going forward with these. Not too many people providing thier expertise on how to grow them as bonsai. I feel I know enough about keeping them alive to be able to share my do's and don'ts, but one wrong step sets you back years with a new one to start over with.

Jim G

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@Jim G, how is your Sequoia wintering over, have you checked for moist soil?[/QUOTE]
I wonder how it's doing too. I guess it seems OK but I suppose time will tell. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. As you know this winter is all over the map. When it was really cold in December, I plugged the heat tape in but I don't think it was working.

Yes, I have added a softball size snowball to each tree at the end of December and again at the end of January.
I thought the needles on the Dawn Redwoods would have dropped by now but as you can see they are hanging on.

How is yours looking?
20170204_073226.jpg

Last edited:

Guy Vitale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looks good @Jim G, no reason to believe otherwise, I would cover the entire surface with snow however, this way there's more even watering when it melts. Lay it on, it can't hurt this time of year.

Curious about the Dawn Redwood though, do the leaves break off with the slightest of pressure? They should be bare this time of year, I don't think there's cause for concern, just curious. I'll beg interested in sharing our success stories this spring.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
For just an instant, I pictured someone with a backhoe and a BIG pot going to collect a giant sequoia. :D

Top Bottom