giant sequoia directions

redspring

Seed
Reaction score
so, I'm not new to bonsai, but never tried something like this. it's a sequoia from a seed, five years old. I received a lot of tips, but each tip seemed to contraddict the previous one. some people is telling me to let it grow free at least another couple of years, others to cut back the branches and remove everything growing downward, others to save everything but use wires to start givinig shape to it (which seem early to me). the idea is to re-create the one I used to see by my place in OR, which was kinda like the one in the drawing. after four years of slow growing the last three months has been very "active" so I wonder if there's something I HAVE to do now before it becomes an unfixable mistake. thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20231108_002537833~2.jpg
    PXL_20231108_002537833~2.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 89
  • PXL_20231108_002528203~2.jpg
    PXL_20231108_002528203~2.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 82
  • PXL_20231108_002511319~2.jpg
    PXL_20231108_002511319~2.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 90
  • _5640d56d-2ac9-4679-b82b-0938f7400262.jpeg
    _5640d56d-2ac9-4679-b82b-0938f7400262.jpeg
    289.6 KB · Views: 89

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
so, I'm not new to bonsai, but never tried something like this. it's a sequoia from a seed, five years old. I received a lot of tips, but each tip seemed to contraddict the previous one. some people is telling me to let it grow free at least another couple of years, others to cut back the branches and remove everything growing downward, others to save everything but use wires to start givinig shape to it (which seem early to me). the idea is to re-create the one I used to see by my place in OR, which was kinda like the one in the drawing. after four years of slow growing the last three months has been very "active" so I wonder if there's something I HAVE to do now before it becomes an unfixable mistake. thanks!
I love that you have a vision of what you want to create, so early in your journey.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You attention should not really be on foliage and upper portions of the tree at this point. The key to your "vision" is creating a great nebari (trunk base) for the tree. That entails allowing the tree to grow unhindered for the most part from pruning and clipping upper growth. If you plan on growing this tree out in a container, this might take a while.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
You attention should not really be on foliage and upper portions of the tree at this point. The key to your "vision" is creating a great nebari (trunk base) for the tree. That entails allowing the tree to grow unhindered for the most part from pruning and clipping upper growth. If you plan on growing this tree out in a container, this might take a while.
I would think it would be a good time to at least start thinking of the branches, so I have a question...

If the branches do start getting long and losing interior needles, can you trim them back and have them backbud? Would you expect them to backbud from the trunk?

I have 3 tiny ones about 4 years behind @redspring, so I've got plenty of time to dream about the future of my sequoias.

PowerTap

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I'd consider moving it into a grow container like a good basket. I have a sequoia that I started from a very small sapling two years ago and it's further along than yours pictured.

Spring 2021
PXL_20211019_152248251.jpg

Late summer 2023
PXL_20231007_215835457.jpg

PXL_20231007_215858356.jpg

I've almost exclusively watered and fertilized this and otherwise left it alone. I've removed some handle bar branches and started wiring some branches down this fall.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'd consider moving it into a grow container like a good basket. I have a sequoia that I started from a very small sapling two years ago and it's further along than yours pictured.
What kind of soil or soil mix are you using?

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Here’s a couple resources that might help fill in some blanks

Giant-sequoia.com

Bonsaiempire.com

cheers
DSD sends
That answered my questions. Thank you!

On pruning branches:
It is only by chance that lower branches regenerate once removed. Although lower buds will form they will mostly abort before becoming a substantial branch. It is best to be conservative when removing lower branches.

On soil:
With the giant sequoia, constantly moist soil is preferred. Most species prefer a wet then dry, then wet then dry regimen. The sequoia prefers consistent moisture. An occasional soaking is good but an occasional drying is bad for the sequoias. Think moist not muddy.

PowerTap

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
What kind of soil or soil mix are you using?
This is from early in my bonsai experience, so it is straight potting soil mixed with lava. But I think it's working well for this because Sequoia like having more water.

redspring

Seed
Reaction score

Spring 2021
View attachment 516623

Late summer 2023
View attachment 516625

View attachment 516624

I've almost exclusively watered and fertilized this and otherwise left it alone. I've removed some handle bar branches and started wiring some branches down this fall.
thanks! this is beautiful. hence the question: all the examples I see online show plants smaller and younger than mine, but with already a well defined "wooden" trunk. mine is 2/3 still green, and the base started having bark only in the last few months. how? why? am I doing something wrong?

PowerTap

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I would add that I think the tree is strongly apically dominant. I cut back some branches this last spring expecting to get back buds elsewhere in the area based on my experience with a coastal redwood which throws off suckers everywhere all the time.

But I got almost nothing. So this fall I cut back more top growth. I'm aiming for a kifu sized formal upright, so I need to fill in some space on the lower trunk and have good branches. Hopefully my strategy works out.

Early October pruning.

PXL_20231008_224659729.jpg

czaczaja

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Omg the girth of that boi compared to the height😲

PowerTap

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Omg the girth of that boi compared to the height😲
It's about the hight that I want, I'd take some more girth on the trunk. But I love the buttressed root I got at the bottom. it measured 22mm (.86in) in late September.

Top Bottom