General comments

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If you start cheap seeds you can always graft to them later...

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've got a couple of sprouts as of yesterday, moved the container near an LED grow light, covered with a white kitchen trash bag temporary for moisture control, still on the heat mat.

View attachment 173791
I haven't seen anyone else post they've planted, am I the sole non-stratified control group, lol

I didn’t stratify either. I’ve done it before and had good germination results. I’m not suggesting it’s the preferred method, but with fresh seed I think you should get good germination results.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Ok guys, what are the typical steps taken after germination? When do you move the seedlings to separate pots and what size do some of you use?

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think the USPS feels I shouldn't try to do this contest. Two separate batches of seeds I have received arrived in less than desirable condition. The first one still had some salvageable seeds along with the mashed ones so I've had them in the fridge just in case. The second batch I just got came with part of the envelope missing and an apology from the postmaster. I haven't had the heart to get inyo the second bag yet to see whats salvageable yet
20180124_140156.jpg

20180124_135940.jpg

20180124_140005.jpg

**This post is definitely not intended to reflect upon those who sent the seeds to me at all! I appreciate the generosity and effort of those who sent them, just disappointed in the postal system at this time.

Attachments

• 20180124_140005.jpg
    20180124_140005.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 18

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I finally have a few seeds coming up within my humidity dome flats. Yesterday, I noticed when opening one that there was a gnat or something in there. Should I lightly spray these humidity flats with some insecticide? Anyone else seeing this. I remember seeing where markyscott advised to spray antifungal once the seedlings start coming up.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So I finally have a few seeds coming up within my humidity dome flats. Yesterday, I noticed when opening one that there was a gnat or something in there. Should I lightly spray these humidity flats with some insecticide? Anyone else seeing this. I remember seeing where markyscott advised to spray antifungal once the seedlings start coming up.
I've noticed some insects as well, hopefully someone will advise us.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot

ACK! fungus gnats!!! My arch nemesis!

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Been away for awhile :( I finally bought some seeds but being new I still need to get some stuff to grow them in... like pots... or soil... hmmm... I need to get busy

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I regret not paying close attention to my seeds, as I have a feeling I started getting movement on like the 3rd day. Today is day 5, and last night I noticed a lot of root tips popping out, and 2 of them damn near already lost their shell. Btw I got my seeds from treeseeds.com.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So... if you could ask for a VIP black pine judge to judge this contest in 2024....

Who would it be?

Top Bottom