General comments

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Couldn't find these stickied entries for a minute.

Trying to see if they are popping up on the new posts and home screen with updates.

Sorce

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’m in.

Alexmacrophyllum

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I recently ordered a variety of pine seeds from treeseeds.com but already sprouted them. Guess I'll have to order another batch. This sounds like a fun adventure.

Ill order 100 seeds and go from there.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi @Bonsai Nut

I too would like to join in your competition BUT I am from the other side. Spring here now and 20C days. Ahhh.
Anyway, I look forward to not being the only contender from the Southern Hemisphere. I will keep tabs on this thread and/or look forward to finding out if I should buy some seeds next autumn/winter.
Charles

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@KiwiPlantGuy ,

ask @Bonsai Nut , if he could simply factor in your climate.
So if you start now, 6 months earlier, your entry comes in 6 months earlier
and is held to be judged with 6 months later entries.

Good Day
Anthony

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'd like to participate. I ordered from treeseeds.com

Jeff

morb

Sapling
Reaction score
seems to me that a contest like this would be a great learning experience for someone like me who is a total noob to bonsai. since i live Saskatchewan, Canada how would one winter a jbp? i have an unheated attic that keeps a fairly constant temp during the winter, i haven't done any real temp comparisons but it stays quite a bit warmer than the outside temp during winter. would something like this work for wintering jbp or any other bonsai for that matter?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm looking to purchase a small amount of seed (maybe 50). There are a number of vendors on amazon, ebay, and other sites (like treeseeds.com mentioned above) that sell small amounts. Anyone have any bad experiences, vendors to avoid because of seeds that don't germinate, etc?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
seems to me that a contest like this would be a great learning experience for someone like me who is a total noob to bonsai. since i live Saskatchewan, Canada how would one winter a jbp? i have an unheated attic that keeps a fairly constant temp during the winter, i haven't done any real temp comparisons but it stays quite a bit warmer than the outside temp during winter. would something like this work for wintering jbp or any other bonsai for that matter?

Do you have an unheated garage? How about a window well? Worse case you can build a cold frame pretty cheaply to overwinter them in...

morb

Sapling
Reaction score
Do you have an unheated garage? How about a window well? Worse case you can build a cold frame pretty cheaply to overwinter them in...

i do have an unheated uninsulated garage, if it's -30 c outside it's -30 c inside. it blocks the wind and keeps the snow out though

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i do have an unheated uninsulated garage, if it's -30 c outside it's -30 c inside. it blocks the wind and keeps the snow out though
If you have room, you could build a small shelter inside your garage, and use a seedling heating mat or a space heater to keep it warmer. That's what I do, inside my barn I built a plastic enclosed shelter about 10' x 10' and use a thermostat/space heater to keep it at about 27-28 F in the winter. If all you have are seedlings, you could use a much smaller enclosure or maybe even use large styrofoam coolers, etc.

morb

Sapling
Reaction score
If you have room, you could build a small shelter inside your garage, and use a seedling heating mat or a space heater to keep it warmer. That's what I do, inside my barn I built a plastic enclosed shelter about 10' x 10' and use a thermostat/space heater to keep it at about 27-28 F in the winter. If all you have are seedlings, you could use a much smaller enclosure or maybe even use large styrofoam coolers, etc.

thanks, i'll see what i can come up with. i won't need anything till next winter but i could do some experimenting this winter without any trees and see what kind of temps i can get.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Awesome and fun idea, but the thought of a 6 year contest is daunting. That’s a long time man. But I’m in nonetheless!

So what’s the deal with seedling Cuttings, are they allowed/required? Maybe I’ll do half and half, with seed from different vendors. I want seed with good bark qualities if possible and I hear they must come straight from Japan for that.

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Seeds are cheap. Count me in.

One thing I'm curious about is cultivars. Evergreen Gardenworks leads me to believe that there are multiple cultivars of pinus thunbergii (dwarfs: Koto Buki', 'Yatsubusa' and 'Shun sho Matsu', etc. cork bark: Nishiki , hayabusa, etc.). But from what I can tell, the seed vendors seem to just sell "Japanese Black Pine" seeds. Is that typical?

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Seeds are cheap. Count me in.

One thing I'm curious about is cultivars. Evergreen Gardenworks leads me to believe that there are multiple cultivars of pinus thunbergii (dwarfs: Koto Buki', 'Yatsubusa' and 'Shun sho Matsu', etc. cork bark: Nishiki , hayabusa, etc.). But from what I can tell, the seed vendors seem to just sell "Japanese Black Pine" seeds. Is that typical?
I came across this too. I cannot find other information about it elsewhere yet... Still looking.

But either way I'll still try my hand at JBP. Anyone have a preference for a seed source? Seems to be so many to choose from

Top Bottom