Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you are thinking of bark, then it is perhaps better to get the
1" needle cultivar.
Then you cut out a lot of extra work.
Good Day
Anthony

Reaction score
However by the end of year four I'm assuming people will have a good sense of which trees are progressing most rapidly, and you should share some photos of those trees. Don't show up at the end of year 6 with a "winning" tree that we have never seen before :)
So if i understand correctly, the final tree needs to be on "a" photo in the thread somewhere before entering it as "final". You can enter year 6 with 10 trees? Is this correct, or do we (i) need to eliminate / chose earlier?

theone420

Shohin
Reaction score
So if i understand correctly, the final tree needs to be on "a" photo in the thread somewhere before entering it as "final". You can enter year 6 with 10 trees? Is this correct, or do we (i) need to eliminate / chose earlier?
Good question....it was my understanding that you could have any # of trees when its all done and you pick the one you want to enter and post a picture of it in a pot all pretty and stuff. I am sure by then, you will have a picture in your thread if it is nice enough for you to pick it. or at least a group photo where you can see the tree was part of the crop.

And according to this we can have more than one tree entering year 6
........... In general I am thinking:

(1) 1,000 seeds
(2) 500 survive germination and cutting
(3) Cull down to 250 best at the start of Year 2
(4) 100 start of Year 3
(5) 50 start of Year 4
(6) 25 start of Year 5
(7) 10 start of Year 6 (final year).......................

but can you keep your final tree a secret?

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

I'll probably do something a little more refined for the final year. I think I will probably set up a special email account for people to send their "final" entry to. Then I will post them all anonymously to a private thread that no one can see except our guest judge. Once the judging is complete, I will turn thread access on for everyone - and I will edit the photos to include the names of each entrant.

As the contest administrator, I cannot win any awards :) If I enter a tree, and if against all odds it is one of the ones chosen as a winning tree, I will ask the judge to choose one more :)

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Seedrack.com and sheffields came in on same day. Sheffields gave me order acknowldegement and trscking info. Seedrack have me no indication they received my order. But i did receive them

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is the mistake people have when they try to raise koi on their own. One adult female koi can spawn 300,000 eggs. There is almost no way to effectively and profitably raise that many koi - particularly when only 1% might be decent quality. Even if you throw them in a pond you end up having to waste 99% of your food, and the fish don't grow as fast and are far more prone to disease due to crowding. One of the keys to raising koi successfully is to be able to tell at a very early age (1/2") which fish are worth keeping and which ones you cull. First pass you might cull 50%. Then each time you sort them you cull another 50%. If you know what you're doing, you quickly go from 100,000's to 10,000's to 1,000's...

The key for this pine contest (at least for me) is to cull early, and cull often any trees that are weak or don't have the right characteristics. If I have ten relatively decent trees going into the last year, I feel I will be able to care for them down the home stretch. In general I am thinking:

(1) 1,000 seeds
(2) 500 survive germination and cutting
(3) Cull down to 250 best at the start of Year 2
(4) 100 start of Year 3
(5) 50 start of Year 4
(6) 25 start of Year 5
(7) 10 start of Year 6 (final year)

No way am I planning to try to raise 1000 pines for 6 years, LOL!

When you cull down after the 4th or 5th year give me a call please. LOL. I will take your garbage.
I see this putting a dent in the local Bonsai nurseries in 4-6 years. Everyone and their mother will have or be selling small JBP.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I see this putting a dent in the local Bonsai nurseries in 4-6 years. Everyone and their mother will have or be selling small JBP.

Assuming they survive that long and assuming that there is anything worth selling. I have only tried this once before, and many people are trying this for their first time. I think the professional growers don't have much to worry about :)

I learned years ago there were several paths to take with bonsai:

(1) Collect trees from wild - natural or yardadori.
(2) Buy raw stock from garden nurseries.
(3) Buy pre-bonsai from bonsai nurseries or practitioners.
(4) Buy finished bonsai.
(5) ....and if you are crazy, grow trees from seed.

In instances 1-4 you get several years, if not decades or more, advantage versus instance 5. But there is still something appealing to the entire tree from seed idea :)

Last edited:

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Bonsai Nut Do you already have the guest judge picked out and have they already accepted your invitation to be the judge six years from now?

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
@Bonsai Nut Do you already have the guest judge picked out and have they already accepted your invitation to be the judge six years from now?

No. To be honest, even though I am optimistic, I want to wait a couple of years to make sure we still have a fair number of entries :) I don't want to waste anyone's time if only three people show up for the party :)

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The current count of entrants is 31. I would hope that there are at least a few of them still hanging on by the end. To some it may not sound like it but 6 years goes by pretty fast.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I can't guarantee that I will even be in Spain by that time as we didn't really plan on being here still by the time our kids start secondary school and we always have feelers out for somewhere else but even then I think what time I do get with the trees will be a excellent learning curve. I've never been too keen on delving into pines or conifers in the past, not sure why but I was hesitant to enter because of that. Maybe I am a bit scared of them, anyway I'm going to enter regardless and see it as an opportunity.
Plus I love growing from seed, I may even start a thread elsewhere with a bunch of other species started from seed at the same time and compare the progress.

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The current count of entrants is 31. I would hope that there are at least a few of them still hanging on by the end. To some it may not sound like it but 6 years goes by pretty fast.
Only 31? So WHEN I win it won't be that special.

Going to crawl back under my rock now...

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Only a few days till the start of this thing... BT20 suggests sowing seeds late March or early April. Anyone starting earlier? What’s everyone’s plan?

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am shooting to start batch one on Jan 1st. never grown before so these could be just the practice round.

Rusty Davis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm going to start a few inside on the 1st. I want to play with an exposed root experiment. Delusions of grandeur keep me going.

Top Bottom