Fall 2016 Contest....Who's in?

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm not sure that would qualify. Pokémon Go Master stated: "Must purchase a box store/non-bonsai nursery tree". But maybe I'm wrong??
He did say that, but then
there is no price limit.
No size limit.
No place of purchase restriction!
So maybe I'm wrong? Either way I'll have something!
@sorce should have some official rules posted soon.

Aaron

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm not sure that would qualify. Pokémon Go Master stated: "Must purchase a box store/non-bonsai nursery tree". But maybe I'm wrong??
And then in a later post he said it doesn't matter where you get it.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I would enter my unpopular $45+tax Hazel Alder which I think has a good trunk but don't know how it reacts to hard pruning so will have to wait till next contest maybe :/. The Vitex could be promising though.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
He did say that, but then

So maybe I'm wrong? Either way I'll have something!
@sorce should have some official rules posted soon.

Aaron
And then in a later post he said it doesn't matter where you get it.
I'm not trying to be adversarial. I've been down this road with my challenges and if I get in I'd like to understand the guidelines. I interpret the "it doesn't matter where you get it" part as "it doesn't matter what box store or non-bonsai nursery you get it from." I'll just be quiet and listen for now. :)

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
I'd like to be in. I guess I'll see what's still around that I haven't already cleaned out from the local joints. Or I'll just watch

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
it doesn't matter where you get it" part as "it doesn't matter what box store or non-bonsai nursery you get it from."
I say this should be the rule and I retract my first entry lol it'll make it more fair
And give me more time to think about working on that oak!

Aaron

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I say this should be the rule

Aaron
I agree. That was originally how the contest was until things were being changed around. Unless I'm misunderstanding and the rules still are big box store or non-bonsai nursery stock only. I think going out and searching for good material would be more fun than going online or to a specialized bonsai nursery and easily finding quality plants that are much further along anyways.

jcrossett

Chumono
Reaction score
I'm in I need something good to boost my noob skills.

1 question thou isn't now the wrong time to be wiring ?

Last edited:

Guy Vitale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@Guy Vitale ....the playing field can only be leveled by the fact that one only has so much time to ponder the trees design and steps forward. Please sell a tree so you can buy a new one to join!

No worries Source, thought I'd throw it out there, nurseries are starting to run their specials on 'less than' landscape stock, I'm sure I'll find something.

Reaction score
This contest would be fun to win but it is not about winning to me unless there is prize money I don't know about. Some will crash and burn but learn something and some will surprise themselves with how good they do. Either way you will be better off. The chances of most people, including myself, of beating Sawgrass is slim to none but I'm really not entering to compete against him and the other experts but more in it to challenge myself and give me a reason to buy another tree. I'm in.
That's awesome of you to say this, and I appreciate it! I am sure Sorce can work out a solution that is fair to all involved... which should included different categories depending on how long someone has been doing bonsai.

Reaction score
These kinda contests are honest...

Yes, it is open to aquiring a tree from anywhere...
Yes, people can spend what ever amount of $$$ on the tree... so, right off the bat most think the more money spent the better, and I am sure some will vote on and will be swayed by bling...

But, really in a case such as a styling competition, at the end of the day... the determining factor of who wins or not should be always judged on the before and after picture, and the transformation that the artist achieved, and their work.

So, my own personal suggestion is to find material regardless of if it cost a dollar or a hundred dollars, that best allows you to show off your talents and your skills... to be able to bring a piece of stock to as close to a show ready looking tree as possible.

Pay attention to how your wire looks, your padding, any cuts or chops... and try and be as professional as possible! If you are able to pick material that allows you to throw it in a nice pot now, rather than a plastic nursery container... the better. I avoid material that is too safe... Seeing there is hardly any transformation and we see none of your skill. Yet, it is a today thing... so I also avoid any material that is going to take years to develop, or to big of a tree that takes years to fill in negative spacing.

Think shohin size, with lots and lots of branching... this you can find at both a big box store and a bonsai nursery, and without having to always pay a lot.
Good Luck to everyone who enters!!!

Last edited:

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you are able to pick material that allows you to throw it in a nice pot now, rather than a plastic nursery container... the better.

thats a thing i was Thinking about wat species could still be repotted this time of year ?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These kinda contests are honest...

Yes, it is open to aquiring a tree from anywhere...
Yes, people can spend what ever amount of $$$ on the tree... so, right off the bat most think the more money spent the better, and I am sure some will vote on and will be swayed by bling...

But, really in a case such as a styling competition, at the end of the day... the determining factor of who wins or not should be always judged on the before and after picture, and the transformation that the artist achieved, and their work.

So, my own personal suggestion is to find material regardless of if it cost a dollar or a hundred dollars, that best allows you to show off your talents and your skills... to be able to bring a piece of stock to as close to a show ready looking tree as possible.

Pay attention to how your wire looks, your padding, any cuts or chops... and try and be as professional as possible! If you are able to pick material that allows you to throw it in a nice pot now, rather than a plastic nursery container... the better. I avoid material that is too safe... Seeing there is hardly any transformation and we see none of your skill. Yet, it is a today thing... so I also avoid any material that is going to take years to develop, or to big of a tree that takes years to fill in negative spacing.

Think shohin size, with lots and lots of branching... this you can find at both a big box store and a bonsai nursery, and without having to always pay a lot.
Good Luck to everyone who enters!!!

Might as well just go ahead and quote that since I couldn't have said it much better myself!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I did open this contest up to ANY Material.
Any price...
From Anywhere...

This should allow more people to play.

Here is a sample entry.

Tree..... Juniper Procumbens.
Tree Price... $7.00
My years doing Bonsai.. 3.

Receipt Pic.
Before Pic.
After Pic.
Base and trunk pic.
Detailed work pic..(wiring\carving)

(what is going on in 30 words or less)

_________

No categories....straight head to head.

Heard good news back from 2/3 prize people....with international shipping probable...and more in the works....

I hope to have at least 3 prizes to give away.

If any Vendors want to support the contest and put your good graces on display....please PM me!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Paradox @just.wing.it

If I may.....

Here is a very nice Pine @Paradox recently acquired.
2016JWP_Sept2016_small.jpg

As an example of an excellent purchased tree....
But will it's transformation be Amazing?
It can be wired....maybe a new pot.....
But 75% of us won't be to amazed by where it goes in one picture.
But you get the, yes it's a dope ass tree votes.

How about this JWI yew...IMAG2379.jpg

You can't see it to know where it will go.
(shitty before pictures recommended!)

How about a transformation.
IMAG2394.jpg

Quite a bit of WOW.
Cuz you couldn't see it coming!
So while this may earn less "dope ass tree" points, it's gonna get way more WOW points!

This should keep the playing field level...

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How about if you have the tree given to you?
Not collected but a tree grown in a nursery bucket?

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
i also think that People with lots of skill and experience are perhaps even slightly at disadvantage beause te voters might expect more from them!

already bought something :D
where to subscribe? :p

Top Bottom