Do you think this JBP is worth the money?

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am lousy at finding quality material. It's something I am working at getting better at. I have been acquiring lots of young material that will take a while to develop which i am excited about, but I started a thread a while back about finding a JBP that was further along. I'm finding it difficult to locate a quality tree to purchase and I have searched a variety of places. It seems that everything is either $100 shohin size tree or $700+ tree. I would like to avoid getting a shohin tree as i want something bigger.

I came across this tree on ebay and my initial reaction was that it is nice and healthy looking, but probably not worth the money. I can't tell for sure but it looks like there is some reverse taper and the upper portion of the trunk may be too straight.
So what say you Bnut members?

As always thanks for your advice and comments.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bonsai-Tree...aultDomain_0&hash=item27ce9e90a6#ht_560wt_671

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I am lousy at finding quality material. It's something I am working at getting better at. I have been acquiring lots of young material that will take a while to develop which i am excited about, but I started a thread a while back about finding a JBP that was further along. I'm finding it difficult to locate a quality tree to purchase and I have searched a variety of places. It seems that everything is either $100 shohin size tree or $700+ tree. I would like to avoid getting a shohin tree as i want something bigger.

I came across this tree on ebay and my initial reaction was that it is nice and healthy looking, but probably not worth the money. I can't tell for sure but it looks like there is some reverse taper and the upper portion of the trunk may be too straight.
So what say you Bnut members?

As always thanks for your advice and comments.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bonsai-Tree...aultDomain_0&hash=item27ce9e90a6#ht_560wt_671

It is hard to tell about some of the details and concerns from the pictures. I have found that the feature known as a reverse is often an issue depending on from which direction the trunk is viewed. Is the tree worth it. Probably; you could do worse and pay more in some places, but it's your money, time, and skill level that has to be considered. You are correct it is difficult to find larger JBP's that cost less than a Volks Wagon.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
Over the years in numerous japanese hobbies including trees fish and stone, I've settled on
seeing the item in person as opposed to buying it from photographs. The last two bonsai purchases were so poorly packaged/ handled that they died within weeks of being delievered.

Kind of a negative report I know (sorry) but a reality check on the risks involved.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Over the years in numerous japanese hobbies including trees fish and stone, I've settled on
seeing the item in person as opposed to buying it from photographs. The last two bonsai purchases were so poorly packaged/ handled that they died within weeks of being delievered.

Kind of a negative report I know (sorry) but a reality check on the risks involved.

Good point but glad to say that I purchased from these outfit and they know how to pack a tree.

I agree with Vance...it is not the best price but reasonable IMHO. I got similar one for almost half the price from Don Blackmond/GregoryBeach Bonsai but I don't think he have any at the $75 price range anymore.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've purchased a bunch of trees online. From quality sellers like Brent and Wigerts and some randoms on ebay. I can say I have had good luck with trees being packaged well and they were not damaged upon their arrival. I would love to see things in person first, but there is just a shortage of local sellers who have this type of material.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I wouldn't pay that much for it. It would need to be cut back to the first branch and regrown and maybe grafted to make a decent bonsai. This kind of tree might be worth $50 in my area.
Paul

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I wouldn't pay that much for it. It would need to be cut back to the first branch and regrown and maybe grafted to make a decent bonsai. This kind of tree might be worth $50 in my area.
Paul

Wow! I wonder what a $170 tree looks like in your area. Feel free to find one and ship to me. :D

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
...I would love to see things in person first, but there is just a shortage of local sellers who have this type of material.
Same here so value (or perception of it) varies on each locale.

... This kind of tree might be worth $50 in my area.
Lucky (and I envy) you!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would check with Don Blackmond - Gregory Beach and see if he has anything in the price range you're looking for. He will probably have better material for the price, if he has anything right now.

But actually although we can't see the flaws of this tree ( and I'm sure there are some) it doesn't seem to me to be too high a price for something of this size. Also take into account the free shipping.
I think these folks can pack a tree just fine, look at the feedback.

I bought a cheap JBP from Ebay to learn on, it has lots of flaws, but in working to correct them, I've probably learned more about JBP than I would've from a tree that was developed better.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Paul

You could be right about what it will take to develop this tree into a bonsai but without actually seeing the tree, and I saw the same pictures you did, I certainly could not make that assessment. As to the price: Personally for me I would not pay that price for any tree I could not see and inspect personally. To date, I have never purchased a tree off the INTERNET or through the mail. I understand your point about price and accessibility, living in California as you do, there are bonsai growers that grow these buggers in the field and sell them at reasonable prices. Our club did a workshop a number of years ago by getting a bunch of them, and most were pretty nice. Johny Uchida was able to connect us with the source.

Last edited:

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
These guys are from NY and they can get your shipment to you in one piece everytime - this is an example but I am sure they have some cheaper as well http://www.bonsaiboy.com/cgi-bonsaiboy/sb/productsearch.cgi

BTW If I remember correct if you buy a tree there over 50 dollars it is the one in the picture.

Thanks.
I'm actually not far from their nursery and have been there before. Their selection and prices leave something to be desired.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would check with Don Blackmond - Gregory Beach and see if he has anything in the price range you're looking for. He will probably have better material for the price, if he has anything right now.

But actually although we can't see the flaws of this tree ( and I'm sure there are some) it doesn't seem to me to be too high a price for something of this size. Also take into account the free shipping.
I think these folks can pack a tree just fine, look at the feedback.

I bought a cheap JBP from Ebay to learn on, it has lots of flaws, but in working to correct them, I've probably learned more about JBP than I would've from a tree that was developed better.

Thanks Judy, email sent.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
AVOID BONSAI BOY!!!!!!
I've been there, they pretty much only sell seedlings, pre-pre bonsai and mallsai type stuff.
Very rare to see anything of quality there.

For Long Island, try Suburban bonsai in Dix Hills, just south of the L.I.E.
They aren't cheap but they have some nice stuff. Might not be the right time of year to shop though.
http://www.suburbanbonsai.com/

*edit* didn't see the posts after Grims.....when I saw Bonsaiboy, I was like "h3ll no" and jumped in to post*
Lol

Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
AND----this is the reason I don't buy trees I can't see, touch and inspect personally, especially off the INTERNET. Having said that I know there are a lot of reputable dealers, sellers and growers that sell direct in this way but, I am now and always have been a sceptic, but don't necessarily want to overly influence someone, negatively, about this issue. If I know something is bad I will say so, but that brings up a conundrum, if I hadn't bought from them how do I know they are bad?

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
NY,

Here are three sources which you can trust. These folks are friends of the bonsai community.

Internationalbonsai.com, Bill Valavanis' arboretum. He has Mikawa JBP in his catalog this year for $125, shipping included. Trees are 3 gallon stock with 2" trunks. He only ships 'til April

Brent at evergreengardenworks.com has mature container grown pines, "Hachi Gen" cultiver. Price range $150 and up + shipping.

Martha at meehansminiatures.com has pines at reasonable prices. I recently bought a Mikawa with a 1" trunk in a 2 gallon container for $50. You'll have to pay shipping. You won't find this type of stock on her website, contact her by email and tell her what you want. She has many pines, I was there in October.

I've done business with all of these people and recommend them highly. They are trustworthy and dedicated to quality. They all know how to package so the plants arrive in good condition.

I would not pay $170 for the pictured tree if there are other options. Good luck.

Augustine

Central MD - 7A

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
Try ebay seller "mbn1978", its George Muranaka from Muranaka Bonsai nursery, I'm not sure how much you will save but there is at least one tree on there now that is cheaper and has a better trunk then the one pictured in your link.

Top Bottom