Des Plaines, my River

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice Smallie on the Wally diver yesterday.
Lost the Wally Diver.
Snagged and retrieved the wally diver.
Lost it again. Damn.!

Anyway. On the walk back....
I saw this lil feller near the side of the road. You can see another baby and Mom in the back.
20150823_092336.jpg

She started stomping, I told her to get her kids off the fucking street!
20150823_092347.jpg
Posing!
This one was bold, he started walking up to me before mom showed up.

You ever see the Harold and Kumar.....
"Not like them asshole deer in New Jersey"
"I was in my zone!"
Lol.

Sorce

P.s. time to introduce wolves back into the woods here! Cougars!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I'd love to see wolves move back, WI - DNR radio collars have documented members of a central Wisconsin wolf pack do wander into Illinois occasionally, especially in winter. Maybe they will come back. Then again, we do occasionally get the rare wandering cougar. Coyotes take their toll of young and lame deer. The old predators are slowly coming back.

Nice fish (back on Aug 10 post) was that a walleye? cool. Almost makes me want to bait a hook again.

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice pictures and cool story! :)

Funny though: "Des plaines' in French literally means 'from the plains'. Or it could be just the plural of plain (des plaines = some plains)
There is an 'érable (maple) plane' but it's not the sycamore but the Norway maple instead.
The sycamore in French is sycomore, false platanus, big maple, montain maple or white maple.

I always though the name of the river was just the French word 'from the plains' or 'some plains' (which actually could also come from the trees as the French travelers could have think something like: 'those trees look like the ones from the plains'...) :)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I thought that was from the Dunkin Donuts commercial. Lol.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you have been following, you may remember the Buffalo Pottery.

Well, I went on another excavation.
Found a full cup with a broken handle.
It lacks the Buffalo, so I think it is another.20150828_163830.jpg20150828_163850.jpg
Unreadable.

The plot thickens.

I kept digging, found another 20 or so peices of stuff like before, and new stuff. I'm going to play the puzzle and see what I get. Them post em.

Then I saw this delicate little sliver of cup. I thought it was strawberry shortcake or something at first .

20150828_164148.jpg
The top 2 go together. You can see the handle remnants on the right. I beleive these are all 1 cup.

And the saucer.
20150828_164205.jpg

With clear markings on the back.
20150828_164234~2.jpg

I'd love to hear if anyone has any idea what these are.

Again the Buffalo Pottery is from 1911-1916.
I also found some burnt, what looks to be sheets of stamps, that say 1916.

This is one of the dopest places I've ever found. The rush is like that of the nursery, or the mountain, digging, up into the ash, uncovering bits of History.

I Found 3 separate fire pits along a 40ft stretch of bank. There is clay to chest high, then the ash and what seems to be coal begins. For about 1-2 feet. On top of that, a foot or so of fresh black litter held together with Buckthorn roots.

1 pit seems a small bedside fire.
The other 2, where the gathering places. Lots of rusted cans, look of beans, the pottery, and whiskey bottles. Glasses, small "airplane" bottles.

Way too cool.

Trying to get back before the rains come back. Though another wash out could help!

Sorce

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Saw a Blue Jay feather, and turning to grab it, found this feller by the curb. Got hit, took out both legs and maybe a wing. I moved it into some cover in the shade.

Shoulda killed it, but I had no humane means.

Got a local humane society?:confused:

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Cool
That Japanese potter likely is what is often referred to as "Rose Medallion" made for export between 1890 to WW2 would be my guess, but I am not certain. The makers mark looks like the remains of the "Rose Medallion". Wikipedia or other sites could give you better info than I.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Alain
Found another crazy geode rock!
20151015_055914.jpg

This one is awesome!
20151015_060024.jpg

And.
20151011_075356.jpg

Bluegill (orwhatever the hell it is!) also on the wallydiver. With a largie on it here the other day, smallies, northern, walleye.....all in one place, one lure.

That's a river version of a grand slam!
With a sacrifice bunt to boot!
I'm going for it! Gotta have goals right @carp lol!

Sorce

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yep it's awesome but actually it's not a geode thingy ;)

It's a carbonate and the numerous holes just come from the dissolution/chemical alteration of the rock.
I have a similar one with bigger holes and with the holes going all the way thru the rock, I plan to try to put a ficus on top with its roots passing in the 'tunnels'. :)

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
my grandparents had an apartment building heated by a coal fired steam boiler. That "geode" looks a lot like some of the "cinders" that we would have to clean out of the furnace. Don't know if that is the origin of your rock, looks a lot like one of the heavier foam type lava rocks, not pumice but one of the heavier ones. Scoria? But I think it might be fused left over silica from a hot coal fire. Coal was used a lot before WW2 for heat in greater Chicagoland area. Many landfills used to be along the rivers.

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
@Alain
Found another crazy geode rock!
View attachment 83892

This one is awesome!
View attachment 83893

And.
View attachment 83894

Bluegill (orwhatever the hell it is!) also on the wallydiver. With a largie on it here the other day, smallies, northern, walleye.....all in one place, one lure.

That's a river version of a grand slam!
With a sacrifice bunt to boot!
I'm going for it! Gotta have goals right @carp lol!

Sorce

As Shia Le Bouf would say, "Do it! Just do it! Don't let your dreams, be dreams." Go fuck a girl in the ass!

Top Bottom