Crepe Myrtle

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
OK, I admit it; I'm still in the "collect the whole set" phase of my bonsai hobby. My only defense is that I'm finding out what works in my conditions and what I enjoy working on. I also may be turning into a bonsai terrorist - beheading everything in sight!

View attachment 68506 View attachment 68507 View attachment 68508 View attachment 68509 View attachment 68510
If you want a little advice?

Go shorter. Prune back to that first branch in the 4th pic. Cut at an angle leading down the trunk at a similar angle to the branch, put some cut paste on it, cut that branch back to it's lowest curve above a node and when it pops new growth on that branch it should TAKE OFF! Let it grow for at least one full season and you should heal most of the wound from your chop, and end up with a nice start to a new trunk... Once the wound is healed over, cut the new trunk back again a couple inches above the place you cut it, then you can start thinking about developing branches... Probably 2-3 years down the road potentially.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here's the one I promised. As I stated earlier, 9 (maybe 10) months ago this was about 8 feet tall and was chopped back to about 12". All those branches grew since and I cut many more off as it grew. I decided to cut it back even further this year and left one branch as a new leader. We'll see how it goes.

DSCF3149.JPG DSCF3159.JPG DSCF3161.JPG

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I have full grown crapes I've been working on for 19 years now. Just last year I found a blood red variety that I chopped and wired for prebonsai.

Round here it snows in June.

Attachments

• 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    470.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    581 KB · Views: 59

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Cool. I love crepes and am under the impression that they are so named because the flowers are crepe-like. If that isn't the case, what the heck is a "crape" and why is it named that?
The dictionary lists "crape" as simply a variant spelling of crepe, so I guess it's just an anglicization thing . . .

Although I was pretty certain the original English was Crape I did some quick searching and found this explanation at Garden.com -

"The scientific name is lagerstroemia crape myrtle. The traditional Southern spelling is "Crepe Myrtle" (because the delicate flowers resemble crepe paper). However, across the US, it is more commonly found as "Crape Myrtle". In Europe and Australia and other countries they use the Scientific Name, Lagerstroemia Crape Myrtle. Wikipedia insists that the correct spelling is Crape-myrtle. Most universities who post articles about the plant refer to it as Crape Myrtle, also. In addition, the American Horticultural Society Encyclopedia uses the spelling, "Crape Myrtle". Conversely, Southern Living books and magazines prefer, "Crepe Myrtle"."

Grimmy

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Although I was pretty certain the original English was Crape I did some quick searching and found this explanation at Garden.com -

"The scientific name is lagerstroemia crape myrtle. The traditional Southern spelling is "Crepe Myrtle" (because the delicate flowers resemble crepe paper). However, across the US, it is more commonly found as "Crape Myrtle". In Europe and Australia and other countries they use the Scientific Name, Lagerstroemia Crape Myrtle. Wikipedia insists that the correct spelling is Crape-myrtle. Most universities who post articles about the plant refer to it as Crape Myrtle, also. In addition, the American Horticultural Society Encyclopedia uses the spelling, "Crape Myrtle". Conversely, Southern Living books and magazines prefer, "Crepe Myrtle"."

Grimmy
Argumentum ad Populum!
It still leaves me with the "why" question. To be internally consistent, shouldn't anyone who prefers "crape myrtle" also eat "crapes with jam" and wrap gifts with "crape paper". Why would you use one in some contexts and not the other? I happen to eat 'crepes', and I don't think it's un-'Merican to use fancy-ass European words ;)

In reality, I mean this all very playfully. I like etymology, and I like to know why a word is the way it is if I'm going to use it . . .

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
"The scientific name is lagerstroemia crape myrtle.

Actually, its real name is Lagerstroemia indica.

And the crape/crepe debate is exactly the same as the crawdad/crayfish/crawfish debate -- pointless and regional.

BUT the vast majority of plant people in the USA use crape myrtle.

Last edited:

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

And the crape/crepe debate is exactly the same as the crawdad/crayfish/crawfish debate -- pointless and regional.

I noticed that but did not repair it because I was quoting it. I agree with you on the regional difference like puma/mountain lion etc...

Grimmy

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

Actually (and just to continue with the pedantry) it's Lagerstroemiea indica, since Latin names should be italicized wherever possible.

Also, I maintan that it's not a "debate" in this case, as I'm not saying one is better or that anyone should change, I'm just trying to understand why it is the way it is . . .

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Actually (and just to continue with the pedantry) it's Lagerstroemiea indica, since Latin names should be italicized wherever possible.

Also, I maintan that it's not a "debate" in this case, as I'm not saying one is better or that anyone should change, I'm just trying to understand why it is the way it is . . .

Good point and I understand. I just felt that participating would be interesting as some of these things mystify me as well ;)

Grimmy

Top Bottom