Crepe Myrtle

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
OK, I admit it; I'm still in the "collect the whole set" phase of my bonsai hobby. My only defense is that I'm finding out what works in my conditions and what I enjoy working on. I also may be turning into a bonsai terrorist - beheading everything in sight!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
i've thought about crepe myrtles for years...do you have others? how do they do for you or is this your first one?

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
you'll probably have a lot of nice bonsai in the next couple years if you're willing to hack them back and baby sit them until they become nice!

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Funny. I bought a crepe myrtle today as well. I like the way you describe it as the "collect the whole set phase". I will tell myself I am done and to focus on what I have and then I run across something new and I get the moth-to-a-flame look. "just one more,..it's fine,..you are not an addict,..."

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
ya...there's no denying it anymore for me...although i've gotten a little bit better, only getting different varieties of chinese elm

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
i've thought about crepe myrtles for years...do you have others? how do they do for you or is this your first one?
This is my first. I've often admired the way that the smooth bark looks like a watercolor painting, with blotches of subtly different colors running together.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice start.!

Choppin, loppin, and a gihad!

Sorce

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One was purchased in Florence, Italy back in 83. However in our climate, it seldom holds the leaves year round, nor does it totally defoliate. They have been grown down here for years, since the Indians, came over from India.
We also have really big versions of the shrubs, used for Bonsai, exceptionally beautiful trees, especially during the leafless stage in dry season.

Stick with them, in the Northern climate, they are incredible!!! as Bonsai.
Good Day
Anthony

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
We've posted a good number of pictures of crape (preferred spelling, I believe -- crepe is a fabric and what they decorate funeral homes with, it also is a confectio that is great with strawberry syrup) myrtle here over the years. Search here on the site and you should find some good info.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
We've posted a good number of pictures of crape (preferred spelling, I believe -- crepe is a fabric and what they decorate funeral homes with, it also is a confectio that is great with strawberry syrup) myrtle here over the years. Search here on the site and you should find some good info.
Cool. I love crepes and am under the impression that they are so named because the flowers are crepe-like. If that isn't the case, what the heck is a "crape" and why is it named that?
The dictionary lists "crape" as simply a variant spelling of crepe, so I guess it's just an anglicization thing . . .

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Nice to see bud break on yours. I think the crepe's are the last thing to leaf out down here, besides of course pecan trees(which are the first to lose and last to gain leaves here). Just now starting to see the native maples leaf out.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice to see bud break on yours. I think the crepe's are the last thing to leaf out down here, besides of course pecan trees(which are the first to lose and last to gain leaves here). Just now starting to see the native maples leaf out.
Yeah, those couple of twigs I left are really too long, but the new red leaves are so pretty I wanted to keep a couple for the moment!

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Looks nice! Deaf varieties are a little less hardy, just and fyi if you get a dawrf variety

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have many CrEpe Myrtles... The spelling seems to be a regional preference.. We had a nice little discussion about it previously, and both are acceptable/"correct"...

I have 4-5 medium to larger sized ones in various degrees of training, a couple smaller ones and a few cuttings I took last year... Had two in the ground the past couple years, dug one already this Spring to start an approach graft to improve nebari...

They do take a beating, have great bark, ramification developed pretty fast, leaves reduce well... They are ver brittle and hard to bend without breaking once the wood hardens in my experience, so get your wiring done early! Also, the bark scars easy as it is very thin...

They can take a sever root prune and bounce back pretty fast!

Top Bottom