Crepe myrtle leaf drop

MomoBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I have a broom style crepe myrtle that was a gift, came from Eastern leaf or something. Anyway had it prolly 2 years now it’s trunk is only maybe 1/2 or less thick and it’s only 5-6 inches tall. I don’t remember it losing leaves last winter (im also not positive it’s actually a crepe) cause the leaves are TINY). Anyway in the last month ALL leaves have dropped (growing in central Florida mostly outside). The pot it came in has a attached water catch that just holds water. Also upon digging it out of the pot in the last days I found not as many roots as I would like to see generally, as well as the soil mixture looked like miracle grow with bonsai rocks on top of it IE they made it look good and put cheap soil underneath. This confused me so I guess I’ve been overwatering because the cheap miracle grow looking stuff was extremely damp. I pruned some roots and moved to an organic potting soil in a pot where it is much easier to monitor moisture with several holes in the pot. Here’s to hoping it recovers. Open to suggestions. Will post a photo tonight

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Always a good idea to put your general location in your profile so people can provide more specific advice. I see you mentioned Florida, but I missed it first time through. Crepe myrtle are deciduous, so I'd expect leaf drop in autumn. You should be growing this outside ALL the time, not just most of the time. Your instincts to increase drainage are correct. Next repot I'd suggest moving it into a mostly INorganic soil mix. Pics would be great. Good luck with it.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My mistake. Upon more reading some crepe myrtle can be evergreen. It might even depend on microclimate. Still, I wouldn't worry about leaf drop.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Crape myrtle is mostly deciduous, or even completely deciduous depending on what you read. This could be why your tree is losing leaves. Also, it could also be under stress. Grown "mostly" outdoors is a hint of possible issues. Soil sound like junk that needs to be replaced in the spring--dense potting soil is a big source of root issues in bonsai. Regular potting soil is far too dense and soggy for bonsai.

At this point, I'd leave it outside, wait to see if it starts pushing new growth. Repotting before any new buds open--if that happens before winter's end, repot and have frost free quarters for it.

MomoBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
yes thank you I will monitor and update. also I have updated my profile location now :). Sort of low on funds at the moment so I kind of have to roll with what's on hand. I do probably have enough bonsai soil to pot it but I didn't want to waste the soil on a lost cause so if it recovers I'll just remove loose dirt and repot with bonsai soil mix. See attached photo of when it looked good, now it's absolutley no leaves. I removed what I thought to be dead stuff when the leaves dropped so it's a little thinned out now but remains mostly the same shape. Ill get a current photo when I get home. You can see in this photo the old pot that just held water in the bottom, why a professional bonsai seller would put in this pot is beyond me.... wish i still had the receipt so I could question them about it...

In my area we get frost MAYBE once or twice a year if we're lucky but getting even to low 40s is rare

Attachments

• IMG_3346.JPG
    IMG_3346.JPG
    220 KB · Views: 54

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
yes thank you I will monitor and update. also I have updated my profile location now :). Sort of low on funds at the moment so I kind of have to roll with what's on hand. I do probably have enough bonsai soil to pot it but I didn't want to waste the soil on a lost cause so if it recovers I'll just remove loose dirt and repot with bonsai soil mix. See attached photo of when it looked good, now it's absolutley no leaves. I removed what I thought to be dead stuff when the leaves dropped so it's a little thinned out now but remains mostly the same shape. Ill get a current photo when I get home. You can see in this photo the old pot that just held water in the bottom, why a professional bonsai seller would put in this pot is beyond me.... wish i still had the receipt so I could question them about it...
Is the plant in the middle the one you're talking about? If so, I don't think that's a crape myrtle. Looks like an Australian Brush Cherry (syzgium paniculatum or Eugenia Myrtifolia) an Australian native that is in the myrtle family. It is not a crape myrtle. It is a tropical and evergreen species. It should not be exposed to frost. It also drops leaves if kept too wet and with not enough light.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is the plant in the middle the one you're talking about? If so, I don't think that's a crape myrtle. Looks like an Australian Brush Cherry (syzgium paniculatum or Eugenia Myrtifolia) an Australian native that is in the myrtle family. It is not a crape myrtle. It is a tropical and evergreen species. It should not be exposed to frost. It also drops leaves if kept too wet and with not enough light.

Also FWIW, the brush cherry is fairly common at volume bonsai dealers. Don't be too discouraged if this one keeps limping along. It's not really an easy species to keep. I speak from experience. I've killed several. Leaf drop is a big problem and it's usually due to wet soil. That makes it a bad choice for beginners, since learning to water bonsai takes time.

Also, ditch the 'water cache' or humidity tray. Those don't do much of anything and can complicate care by keeping the soil soggy...

MomoBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B

yes thats the one. Looking at the fourth picture on the bonsai empire link if you hit the arrow below the pictures that looks very much like it, and it was definitly too wet and we have had a fair amount of overcast days so that could possibly be my answer.

"If it is allowed to grow as a tree, it has a single trunk and a bushy, oval canopy."<< description on bonsai empire, that's basically it to a T. I suppose perhaps what confused me is the paperwork sent with the tree when I got it for care said crape myrtle so perhaps, they were just lazy and put one of the myrtle family guidelines in there.

Thank you so much for the advice and possible proper ID of my tree for me! those stupid phone id apps arent worth a crap when trying to ID bonsai haha

Will update tonight with a current photo and if it recovers will post update 🤞☺️

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
yes thats the one. Looking at the fourth picture on the bonsai empire link if you hit the arrow below the pictures that looks very much like it, and it was definitly too wet and we have had a fair amount of overcast days so that could possibly be my answer.

"If it is allowed to grow as a tree, it has a single trunk and a bushy, oval canopy."<< description on bonsai empire, that's basically it to a T. I suppose perhaps what confused me is the paperwork sent with the tree when I got it for care said crape myrtle so perhaps, they were just lazy and put one of the myrtle family guidelines in there.

Thank you so much for the advice and possible proper ID of my tree for me! those stupid phone id apps arent worth a crap when trying to ID bonsai haha

Will update tonight with a current photo and if it recovers will post update 🤞☺️
You're not alone. Many mass volume bonsai sellers provide instructions that are haphazard or simply wrong. They likely saw the Latin name "Eugenia Myrtifolia" and assumed it was a crape myrtle.

MomoBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
side note question, is there a fast way to dry soil thats too wet safely? or is it best to just do what I did and remove the soil, without summer heat it was never going to get dry especially when the plant is dormant or at worst dead

MomoBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Also FWIW, the brush cherry is fairly common at volume bonsai dealers. Don't be too discouraged if this one keeps limping along. It's not really an easy species to keep. I speak from experience. I've killed several. Leaf drop is a big problem and it's usually due to wet soil. That makes it a bad choice for beginners, since learning to water bonsai takes time.

Also, ditch the 'water cache' or humidity tray. Those don't do much of anything and can complicate care by keeping the soil soggy...
I'd love to but its fused to the pot lol. It's in a common clay pot with bottom and side holes for the moment

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
side note question, is there a fast way to dry soil thats too wet safely? or is it best to just do what I did and remove the soil, without summer heat it was never going to get dry especially when the plant is dormant or at worst dead
Best way to dry the soil is not to water it. I'd let it sit out on the balcony where it should getat least four hours of sun a day. Watch the temperatures and wait until the top inch of the soil is dried out. Then water and repeat. The process can take varying amounts of time, so there is no real way to schedule watering. Summer is the best time to repot tropical evergreen species. I would hold off on that for a while.

Coooltan

Seedling
Reaction score
I have a broom style crepe myrtle that was a gift, came from Eastern leaf or something. Anyway had it prolly 2 years now its trunk is only maybe 1/2 or less thick and it’s only 5-6 inches tall. I don’t remember it losing leaves last winter (im also not positive it’s actually a crepe) cause the leaves are TINY). Anyway in the last month ALL leaves have dropped (growing in central Florida mostly outside). The pot it came in has an attached water catch that just holds water. Also upon digging it out of the pot in the last days I found not as many roots as I would like to see generally, as well as the soil mixture looked like miracle grow with bonsai rocks on top of it IE they made it look good and put cheap soil underneath. This confused me so I guess I’ve been overwatering because the cheap miracle grow looking stuff was extremely damp. I pruned some roots and moved to an organic potting soil in a pot where it is much easier to monitor moisture with several holes in the pot. Here’s to hoping it recovers. Open to suggestions. Will post a photo tonight
I also live here in the Orlando area. The past month was cooler than average temps which I think triggered a leaf drop on some crepes. I have two mature trees in my front yard that dropped as well as the cuttings I took from them earlier this year.

Crepe Myrtle also like to be on the dry side and are prone to root rot. If you’ll notice, our soil here in the Orlando area is essentially sand and the Myrtle thrive in it. Definitely switch it out to some high draining non organic soil.

MomoBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Looks like a dwarf myrtle communis
you could be right, its one or the other I might be leaning your way (dwarf myrtle) now though, bc i dont ever remember the foliage going to red at least not prevelantly as is part of the brush cherry. I borrowed these pictures from https://a-z-animals.com/plants/myrtle-bonsai-tree/ the first photo is exactly how it would look when it was in the growing season. I am trying to see if the person who gifted it remembers the supplier she used. anyway fun to research and learn regardless of what it is they both hate to be in damp soil so that's taken care of and hopefully it will return so we can really look at the foliage and determine its true identity haha

thanks all

Attachments

• Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 36

MomoBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
They are soooooo close in leaf shape but if you zoom my live photo and zoom the capture3 photo vs a brush cherry photo i believe the capture3 photo is the closest match assuming it truly is the dwarf myrtle communis "compacta"

I'm so happy i found this site I would like to thank everyone for making me completely unproductive at work today and all I've done is geek out on bonsai. Oh well! Happy Thanksgiving ☺️ :oops:😆🌳

MomoBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
So update the myrtle did not make it. Repotted and waited a few weeks and checked for a cambium layer throughout the tree, found nothing sadly all grey and dead. I blame the supplier and myself for not checking for the regular potting soil below the rocks on top and being waterlogged. Anyway this taught me something because my juvenile pomegranates are having the same issue so at least I learned something. I hope I caught them in time I think I did they are still green under bark

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I don't like that seller, imo they are deceptive with their age claims and way overpriced. Sorry you lost your tree. Don't let it keep you down!

Repotting (i.e. taking soil off roots and trimming) is dangerous in the winter and even moreso on a weak tree.

You're in the perfect climate for tropical bonsai, try some portulacaria afra, and especially ficus. Wigerts is a great local source, and their quality is 10x, 100x bbony. Prices are great too, you can get a nice starter tree for like $40 shipped.

Top Bottom