Dwarf Crepe Myrtle

crab apple

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
What are the growing characteristics of these dwarf Crape Myrtles. I bought a couple different variaties last summer, plan to get some in bonsai soil this spring and ground plant others to start their bonsai paths but am wondering why they don't seem to be going dormant, at least not loosing their leaves. My full sized crapes are always bare this time of year.

Attachments

• dwarf Crepe Mrttle.jpg
    dwarf Crepe Mrttle.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 29

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What are the growing characteristics of these dwarf Crape Myrtles. I bought a couple different variaties last summer, plan to get some in bonsai soil this spring and ground plant others to start their bonsai paths but am wondering why they don't seem to be going dormant, at least not loosing their leaves. My full sized crapes are always bare this time of year.
I wouldn’t worry to much about it’s late dormancy. As long as it’s been outside. Specially since you’re in Florida. I still have leaves on some deciduous. But they are almost all fallen.

There are a good amount of crape myrtle varieties. And they vary in their dwarf characteristics. This looks like a semi dwarf variety. Compared to the variety like ‘pocomoke’. That one grows more like a bush. If nobody can give you the answer you are looking for. I’d take note on how it behaves as you are working it as a bonsai. Treat it similar to a standard crape myrtle.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm trying some for the first time myself. We'll have to compare notes in a few years.

crab apple

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I'm trying some for the first time myself. We'll have to compare notes in a few years.
I prunned this one after it was completly done flowering last summer to see if there was time enough to do so before winter and it responded realy well, compacting and hardining off before it got cold. It started off as leggy as the one pictured above. They all have pencil thin trunks so I'll probably just let them grow a few years.

Attachments

• dwarf crepe 2.jpg
    dwarf crepe 2.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 21
Top Bottom