New dwarf crepe myrtle tree

I'm with @Bonsai Nut on this one. I would want to chop it way back. I usually don't agree with the standard advice around here of chopping the crap out of everything, but in this case, that's what I would do. The compact growth and fine twigging really lend themselves to a mame or shohin size tree. Here is an example of one I did. This is the pokomoke dwarf variety. Just don't make the mistake I did and let it get too dry over the winter. The small pot doesn't leave a lot of margin for error and mine was just starting to get good after 3 years of work before I killed it

2017-05-28 10.04.12_zpsvwh55tuc.jpg

20170615_190242_zpshzbzi43w.jpeg

2018-10-06 07.24.37.jpg

2018-06-06 18.55.08.jpg

2018-08-18 13.35.30.jpg

2018-10-06 08.44.39.jpg

20200626_162337.jpeg

This is the pokomoke dwarf variety. Just don't make the mistake I did and let it get too dry over the winter. The small pot doesn't leave a lot of margin for error and mine was just starting to get good after 3 years of work before I killed it
Yikes, that's a tough loss. I recently got a pokemoke, and I am delighted with it.

Yikes, that's a tough loss. I recently got a pokemoke, and I am delighted with it.

It was a tough loss but all part of the game. That's not nearly the nicest tree I've killed over the years.

Pokomoke is a nice variety to work with. They develop really fast.

Dwarf crape myrtle in December 2021 and in July 2022. I've never tried to shape in but I cut blooms off daily. Too much of a drain on the tree. I call it my Doctor Suess tree.IMG_4202.jpgIMG_4509.jpg

Aptly named. I like it. But I disagree with flower cutting unless a tree is very weak.

I'd just finished removing a bunch of flower clusters. I leave the buds and let it bloom but then take them off long before they die. There's just way more than the tree needs.

I'll remove a few branches but people had suggested I chop it aggressively in the beginning but I saw something in the tree and kept it intact. I'm glad I did.

It's odd but I like it too. Thanks Penumbra.

I'd just finished removing a bunch of flower clusters. I leave the buds and let it bloom but then take them off long before they die. There's just way more than the tree needs.
That makes perfect sense top me. I see that you are enjoying the flowers.

Back
Top Bottom