Corylus avellana 'Contorta'

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sorry, I was talking about the propagation flats/trays Bonsai Nut showed pictures of.
They had a few sizes: https://www.stuewe.com/products/anderson.php

Oh yes the aflat5 look rather perfect. Great size too. I think I've seen that size and pot mentioned before on here, months ago,, I remember the site layout. Would be very interested to know if they ship to U.K. I will find out! Cheap too.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you repot...I certainly would refrain from an air layer.

Yeh, if I repot it this spring, I wouldn't be able to, or want to air layer.. I wouldn't think the root system would be strong enough to do both. I think the cascading bottom branch bit is certainly the most attractive idea. Aside from the fact that that style is so cool and unique to the usual stuff, it also just looks perfect for it. But I think I will exercise patience still.

I might repot, potentially in to a colander style large pot to help with growing it as strong as possible, set it up well for future work to be done to it, like the air layering etc. I would wait at least a year after repotting, to do anymore work to it.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The problem (?) with this kind of contorted tree is that you can't really think of a design.

Kind of a free-wheeling bonsai. In a way, not so different from old trees in a pot from centuries ago as far as you look at the bare tree, but the leaves are very big in the summer, and not easy to reduce.

A late winter display when the straight vertical yellowish catkins hang from the twisted branches. Why not if it evokes an emotion?

freewheelinfranklin.jpg

That picture is so random lol.
What would you do with this tree sir?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Personally...I'm not sure I'm patient enough on air layers if I seen the gem of a tree inside. I would sacrifice all for the direction I wanted. But many air layer...so it's the route many would take. I was told it puts stress on a tree. So let the desired air layer be what your after. Which was never my case.

I am training an American wisteria in ground suckered. Two years and the trunk is crazy thicker than one I stuck in a pot at the same time. That said...I tossed the one in the pot in the ground jeep climb a fence after seeing the ground results of the one in training. The air layer will test my patience...but end results is my desired tree. So it will wet my feet on the experience.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
What would you do with this tree sir?

Don't sir me, will you :rolleyes: I'm afraid I was too blunt again... :(

I mean it's very hard to make a decent bonsai from this kind of tree, except a "totally free" tree.

That is, it's very nice as a tall potted tree in late winter but I've never ever seen a convincing one when in full leaf.

I've got a potted one in my garden, so I understand why you bought it in the first place :D

I also have a Salix matsudana, I will post pictures some time.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Don't sir me, will you :rolleyes: I'm afraid I was too blunt again... :(

I mean it's very hard to make a decent bonsai from this kind of tree, except a "totally free" tree.

That is, it's very nice as a tall potted tree in late winter but I've never ever seen a convincing one when in full leaf.

I've got a potted one in my garden, so I understand why you bought it in the first place :D

I also have a Salix matsudana, I will post pictures some time.

You'd rather I call you Madame? Lol. Ok I don't usually say sir much, just a bit random :).

Yeh it certainly seems difficult. The whole leaf reduction looks to be impossible. Every thread and forum I see, it says it's been tried and no one does it.. someone said maybe 30 years lol. So I'm not gonna try really, or not yet.

I'll embrace the uniqueness and work with it :). It seems literati is best for it but the bottom branch I have, can also be used for a cascade and it looks good..

But I'll wait for now. It's a winter silhouette type, not so much full leaf, I'd say :)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Personally...I'm not sure I'm patient enough on air layers if I seen the gem of a tree inside. I would sacrifice all for the direction I wanted. But many air layer...so it's the route many would take. I was told it puts stress on a tree. So let the desired air layer be what your after. Which was never my case.

I am training an American wisteria in ground suckered. Two years and the trunk is crazy thicker than one I stuck in a pot at the same time. That said...I tossed the one in the pot in the ground jeep climb a fence after seeing the ground results of the one in training. The air layer will test my patience...but end results is my desired tree. So it will wet my feet on the experience.
Crazy phone auto correct...what in the world could I have typed that...changed to jeep

Cattwooduk

Shohin
Reaction score
I was over at my in laws today clearing out their front garden - their new cottage has had no attention inside or out for a long time! I took a couple of pictures of the contorta they have as I thought it'd be interesting to see what state they grow into when left to their own devices.
Baring in mind this one is FULL of dead branches and has old dry bind weed tangled up in it from last year- something I'm going to clear up next time so it won't be so congested. I spent about an hour's just pulling up damn Elder saplings everywhere!!
IMG_20170228_162515029.jpg IMG_20170228_164247640.jpg IMG_20170228_164237255.jpg IMG_20170228_164258664_HDR.jpg

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I was over at my in laws today clearing out their front garden - their new cottage has had no attention inside or out for a long time! I took a couple of pictures of the contorta they have as I thought it'd be interesting to see what state they grow into when left to their own devices.
Baring in mind this one is FULL of dead branches and has old dry bind weed tangled up in it from last year- something I'm going to clear up next time so it won't be so congested. I spent about an hour's just pulling up damn Elder saplings everywhere!!
View attachment 134054 View attachment 134055 View attachment 134056 View attachment 134057

Very cool looking. Now if we can just miniature that, stick it in a pot, job done :)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Couple beefs....

Of the styling difficulty.....
All you Really have to know is what you are manipulating.

It doesn't just keep circling, it seems to switch curve at nodes....

If this is so, you have all the information about what you are manipulating to manipulate it.

Also.....

I don't think Airlayering slows development as much as some think.

The science just isn't there....

35 points for anyone that can explain why this may be so.

Besides the fact that anything below the layer Will only thicken via leaves below the layer.....

What other part of the development is slowed?

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've always heard it weakens the mother plant.

In the sense that you are cutting a branch off...yes.

But I don't see how an airlayer specifically weakens it any more so than cutting a branch.

The only thing I can see it "slowing development" is if it is shading out the lower parts you wish to keep.

plant. Everything below the air layer thickens evenly?

I do not understand this part.

Sorce

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
In the sense that you are cutting a branch off...yes.

But I don't see how an airlayer specifically weakens it any more so than cutting a branch.

The only thing I can see it "slowing development" is if it is shading out the lower parts you wish to keep.

I do not understand this part.

Sorce

Id agree with your first part.
I would think the energy being put in to callousing and pushing out new roots to the air layer, would make development slow at that time. Perhaps not weaken the tree, just simply slow it down.
If there was no air layer, that energy would be pushing new growth, leaves and generating more energy through its leaves.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would think the energy being put in to callousing and pushing out new roots to the air layer, would make development slow at that time.

Any callousing below the girdle takes place after a branch is lopped too.

And the New roots are powered by the layer.

So energy is not really changed in any manner.

I believe.

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think producing roots for an air layer...would be harder recovering and using energy than healing a scar. Personally...thinking. But...my gerbil stumbles occasionally.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think producing roots for an air layer...would be harder recovering and using energy than healing a scar. Personally...thinking. But...my gerbil stumbles occasionally.

But all that energy comes from above the layer.

The only extra energy spent, would be on rehealing the wound after the layer is removed.

But I don't see healing as energy spent anymore either...
It's just growth.

Sorce

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
But all that energy comes from above the layer.

The only extra energy spent, would be on rehealing the wound after the layer is removed.

But I don't see healing as energy spent anymore either...
It's just growth.

Sorce

Oh, yes, what you said just clicked.. Energy for roots and callousing comes from the TOP, air layered portion, not BOTTOM original tree. A simple concept that took me more than a few seconds to understand lol.

We need an expert in here! Sorry Sorce and Cadillac! lol

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Oh, yes, what you said just clicked.. Energy for roots and callousing comes from the TOP, air layered portion, not BOTTOM original tree. A simple concept that took me more than a few seconds to understand lol.

We need an expert in here! Sorry Sorce and Cadillac! lol
It's not clicked with me yet...still my gerbil is stumbling on his wheel. Lol

Top Bottom