Five year native tree challenge: Harwood Hobbyist's Corylus cornuta

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Beaked hazelnut bought as stick last winter and wire experimentally applied.

I read on some Instagram account that the leaves don't scale down ever. I have read on bonsai nut.com that the leaves may scale down...

Post in thread '5-year Native Tree/Native Pot - Corylus Americana Considerations.. (HorseloverFat)' https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/5...onsiderations-horseloverfat.46307/post-869288

Attachments

• DSC_0651.JPG
    DSC_0651.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 8

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Beaked hazelnut bought as stick last winter and wire experimentally applied.

I read on some Instagram account that the leaves don't scale down ever. I have read on bonsai nut.com that the leaves may scale down...

Post in thread '5-year Native Tree/Native Pot - Corylus Americana Considerations.. (HorseloverFat)' https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/5...onsiderations-horseloverfat.46307/post-869288
Nice!

My foliage is still small.. AND another trunk sprouted. :)

The ONLY leaf-reducing variable I altered was substrate, so far..

It seems like they’ll “play”

🤓

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice!

My foliage is still small.. AND another trunk sprouted. :)

The ONLY leaf-reducing variable I altered was substrate, so far..

It seems like they’ll “play”

🤓

What is your substrate? Looks like gravel with some errant sticks from a photo in your other thread.

I have settled on using diotomaceous gravel for tiny pots, diotomaceous gravel and perlite for training pots, and diotomaceous gravel and pumice for "nice" trees. After killing several trees, seemingly from over watering, I have abandoned organic components.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
That’s My standard inorganic mix, (Diatomaceous earth, Perlite, Azomite, Osmocote) Pimped out for Rhododendron use (mixed with some half-composted pine bark, and some Peat)... I used the extra soil for some of my collections.. waste not, want not.

🤓

Top Bottom