Corylus avellana 'Contorta'

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you, Alain, it sounds good - now it's an advanced cutting.:)

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Is your tree fruiting? I.e. does it have maturing nuts on it? I have the literal "bonsai nuts" forming on mine...

Not yet, but I can bet I saw some male catkins in spring. Or was it a willow that grows next to it? They are a litlle bit unknown to me because I see them once or twice a month. I'll know more next year if it survives.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Is your tree fruiting? I.e. does it have maturing nuts on it? I have the literal "bonsai nuts" forming on mine...

Mine had a load of catkins, and yes, mine has 4 hazel nuts on it. They were nice to see.
2 bunches of 2. One of the bunches is on the branch that's being layered too.

@AlainK when you say, refreshed the callus, what do you mean by that?

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Cut into it to expose cells... See what I mean?

Ah ok, I understand. I didn't know that was a thing.. never heard of that before.
I guess you'd just make little horizontal cuts down the callus with a knife to expose cells and let them form roots?

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'll have to have a better look in a few weeks and if I'm still worried, maybe take action. I'm trying not to disturb the layer, as much as I can.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Alright so I am quite worried..
By now, I had expected a lot of roots but have none.
Plenty of callus but no roots. As far as I can see. I don't think the sphagnum is packed tight enough, it's not pressed up enough against the callus.

I'd like some help.. this branch would be somewhat heart breaking to lose. I think I should redo the air layer "housing" entirely, fresh moss and some rooting hormone for luck.
For the time, I have roughly cut away at parts of the callus to expose cells and rubbed some powder, packed more moss in to the air layer.
What do people think I should do at this point?

With its callusing, I'm hoping with the right care, it can start rooting very quickly and I won't do any damage, and hopefully still seperate it in time before winter.
Thoughts and advice please?

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
What do people think I should do at this point?

Keep your fingers crossed!

But I think what you did was the right thing. If it doesn't produce enough roots, maybe you should wait until late winter, and protect it with bubble plastic against low temps...

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Keep your fingers crossed!

But I think what you did was the right thing. If it doesn't produce enough roots, maybe you should wait until late winter, and protect it with bubble plastic against low temps...

Do you think I should rewrap with fresh moss and enclosure? As there's no roots to damage, seems like no reason not to redo the moss and cling film it's wrapped in.

My worry is, how is that branch staying alive? With no feed from the rest of the tree.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Lol, alright. Thanks for your advice any way.

I'm not who on here is the air layer guy... I don't remember seeing someone who really knows his stuff when it comes to air layering.

I must consult the oracle...
@sorce whose the air layer genius on this forum? And how're you with them? :)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it's still alive.....I'd just leave it till next year...
Sure no separation this year.

More callous more flare....
No die....no worry...

Or is that...
No worry....no cry?

Oooo yea!

whose the air layer genius on this forum? And how're you with them?

I qualify as the most amazed.....

If one question...
"What can I do to make this work more efficiently towards my end goal?"

We can all be genius!

Bloody hell!

Sorce

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If it's still alive.....I'd just leave it till next year...
Sure no separation this year.

More callous more flare....
No die....no worry...

Or is that...
No worry....no cry?

Oooo yea!

I qualify as the most amazed.....

If one question...
"What can I do to make this work more efficiently towards my end goal?"

We can all be genius!

Bloody hell!

Sorce

Ok I think it's been too long since we spoke Sorce, I'm starting to lose touch with translating your posts lol. Although I'm sure you just said bloody hell at the end, cos I'm English lol.
Hopefully you are right, more flare. Will just have to see how it goes then I guess.. I still think it'd be worth while to redo the housing on it.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Little bit of crisping and yellowing going on but all over, not just the branch I'm layering.

IMG_6412.JPG IMG_6413.JPG IMG_6414.JPG

I think it's just natural and normal. I don't think anything is wrong.. it's been in it's pot a while, strong rootball, very organic medium, should be very healthy.

Interesting the new growthes leaves. They are unfolded and massive. But leaves growing from old wood, are all folded and 1/3rd the size because of it.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
What ever happened with this one @ConorDash ? Just was thinking of yours...when a client asked me to go nursery shopping with her to find one for her own yard. After I explained she wanted one for landscape without a graft. But...local nurseries aren't open with material just yet in my neck of the woods. Seen one on eBay...which also reminded me of your project.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Specimen-C...:fngAAOSwjI5avIzc:sc:USPSPriority!44615!US!-1

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey,

I started an air layer but it failed due to me not paying attention. It was kept too wet.. j guess I should probably start it again now if I’m going to do it. To be honest I don’t see how the whole branch is surviving but it certainly is.. do you think I could do an air layer at the same location?
8146E241-E0B4-43C7-8E20-0AC826D73D4E.jpeg
57BD820F-BBB7-411C-8086-2AF21854A23D.jpeg
7D77691E-1869-4CB3-8F33-AD618881C808.jpeg

Aside from that, it’s just popping buds now.

255AFEF0-AF5F-420E-BA28-9953606E3715.jpeg
329EF0F5-6B46-45E3-A3BB-0B6D55749A9E.jpeg
A74F1305-F4D1-4F20-AF3B-E717D52AD963.jpeg

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Weird, that tree linked in your post @Cadillactaste is like 1/3 the size of my tree yet my tree was £40, roughly $70.
That tree is way over priced on eBay!!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Weird, that tree linked in your post @Cadillactaste is like 1/3 the size of my tree yet my tree was £40, roughly $70.
That tree is way over priced on eBay!!
Way over priced...he had one for even more I found later. Forget what I paid for mine...but think around $70 myself give or take.

Top Bottom