Contest Rules

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Just asking, is there a deadline for starting entry threads or is this unlimited?

No deadline from this point until the end of the contest. You just couldn't start EARLY.

Lol. Me or the seeds?

Your seeds :) It was the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw your few "early" seeds floating around in the big container of water :)

Mihai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Quick question guys. Didn't get my seeds yet, but hopefully they shouldn't be too long in getting here.
How do you feel about hidrogen peroxide mixed in the water when soaking? Is it used for pines? I used it on pepper seeds with good results. Not one bit of mould to be seen.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Quick question guys. Didn't get my seeds yet, but hopefully they shouldn't be too long in getting here.
How do you feel about hidrogen peroxide mixed in the water when soaking? Is it used for pines? I used it on pepper seeds with good results. Not one bit of mould to be seen.

Late reply but I don't think it would hurt. I use sphagnum moss in my cold stratification bags for the same reason - it has natural anti-fungal properties.

Reaction score
Last time i had some fungal growth. I've added sphagnum as recommended now. Lets hope...

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do they have to be JBP seeds for the contest?

Reaction score
Will you start other seeds? Difficult to compare growth rates but might be interesting nonetheless.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
... ...How do you feel about hidrogen peroxide mixed in the water when soaking? ... ...
... ... I use sphagnum moss in my cold stratification bags for the same reason - it has natural anti-fungal properties.
Last time i had some fungal growth. I've added sphagnum as recommended now. Lets hope...
FWIW and for your information I would like to give you a link or two to the old IBC where a fellow bonsaist Giang (of Lotus Bonsai, France) who grows from seed, cuttings etc is presenting his methods.
He uses horticultural charcoal which limits the growth of the micro organisms and he also waters seedlings with garlic water which has anti-fungal properties but it is mild for tender seedlings just sprouting.
Unfortunately some photos are no longer visible, though.
http://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t8531-maples-bonsai-from-seeds
http://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t12444-pines-from-seeds
http://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t8553-bonsai-seeds-stratification

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I use sphagnum moss in my cold stratification bags for the same reason - it has natural anti-fungal properties.

How much of a difference does it really make? I have had mold grow on my pitch pine seeds during stratification and it didn't seem to have any ill effects.

Mihai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the answers guys (and gals :) ). Did it anyway. No mould after a week cold stratification... so I have that going for me.
Thanks for the links @my nellie .

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Sounded good , I’ve got to start getting up to these shows around the country ! I’m trying to get some more material together to start vending

Bilbo_Baggins

Sapling
Reaction score
Both: Trees will be judged on quality and trunk caliper at the highest surface roots. The fattest tree will not necessarily win, but the contest focus is on getting maximum growth and development out of JBP in 6 years, so no skinny literati trees (for example).

This challenge is about getting the most development out of a JBP in 6 years. Methods to increase trunk caliper fastest are usually directly contrary to methods to develop refinement. That is why it is hard :) The "gold standard" if you will, is to try to replicate this tree from Bonsai Today #20:

Because of the way this contest is organized, everyone is going to be developing shohin JBP trees, just because you can only do so much in 6 seasons. However there is no restriction about other styling.

Judging will be subjective. First criteria will probably be trunk caliper... and then trees of a similar trunk caliper will be judged based on finished quality. A slightly thinner tree may win because it is higher quality than a slightly thicker tree. But both trees in this example will be among the thickest set of entries.

I hope that this contest will get people to really stretch their JBP development skills (if they already have some) or get them to try JBP for the first time (if they don't).

I understand the picture in the article is of a 6 year old shohin, but you would mind please elaborating on your thoughts about why these contest rules would seem to dictate a shohin result?
I don't necessarily have any problem with a shohin, but as part of my processes, I intended to do some not as shohin with the hypothesis that more tree (larger than shohin) above the nebari encourages or drives fatter nebari.
Or is it that you suspect that between two trees with similar girth, one a shohin and the other not, the shohin would likely be judged superior because it is a "smaller" tree?

Perhaps I'm missing/misunderstanding something.

Thanks!

Top Bottom