Coast Live Oak from Santa Cruz

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it accomplishes a few things. First, it stops transpiration, allowing the roots to get going. Second, it tricks the tree into a sudden spring, pushing new buds. It also makes wiring a lot easier. Experience with live oaks has taught me that transplanting them with the leaves on often leads to a dead tree... I haven't lost a defoliated live oak yet.

Wish I had seen this post about a month ago!

Attachments

• Dead oak.jpg
    Dead oak.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 85
  • Dead oak2.jpg
    Dead oak2.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Since Live Oaks aren't fully deciduous this tree is only leafless when I defoliate it. I'll try to get a picture next time.

Missed this but don't your oak at least drop some leaves at spring? Our live oaks here does, some go totally leafless and some just drop some percentage of leaves. My small one still have about 50% leaves and it is budding already. :)

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Missed this but don't your oak at least drop some leaves at spring? Our live oaks here does, some go totally leafless and some just drop some percentage of leaves. My small one still have about 50% leaves and it is budding already. :)

Ours are the same.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi Paul, one more defoliation question, how do you know when the tree is ready for it? Will the new buds show up and swell, or do you just take them off when you're ready to repot, and then the buds show? My cork oak still has all it's very green leaves...

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Paul, one more defoliation question, how do you know when the tree is ready for it? Will the new buds show up and swell, or do you just take them off when you're ready to repot, and then the buds show? My cork oak still has all it's very green leaves...

Cork oaks are a little different, I think. I've never completely defoliated mine. I have done a partial defoliation where I removed all the old and larger leaves and it responded well.

As far as being ready for defoliation there are to times and reasons for defoliating live oaks that I know of. The first is at collection, Which for live oaks is best in spring when the weather is warming up. Defoliating at this time helps the tree survive by stopping transpiration and giving the roots a chance to get going. Note that this would kill a lot of species, but live oaks (and olives too) seem to have a ton of stored energy and it works well. The second time I defoliate is in summer on very healthy trees to increase ramification. Though I have completely defoliated trees in summer it weakens them and its probably best to partially defoliate to remove too large leaves and allow light into the tree's interior.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you, I will wait a bit and see what the tree decides to do, I may not repot this year in any event. I imagine if it wants to shed old leaves it will.

esons

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I've just defoliated and dug up an oak. It's a weird little one, has a ton of little branches all over the place. Should I cut some or most of these back now? Or is it important to let it heal first.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
So I've just defoliated and dug up an oak. It's a weird little one, has a ton of little branches all over the place. Should I cut some or most of these back now? Or is it important to let it heal first.

If this tree has just been dug up and defoliated I wouldn't do anything else to it now. Unless you hear from someone else with experience with this tree who tells you otherwise now is the time to let it recover.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

I always say concentrate new growth where you want it. Remove anything you do not need (as long as the tree species will allow it).

Not sure what Oak it is but that is what I do on my Live Oak. I even stump chopped 2 live oaks with ZERO leaves or branches left. The timing is perfect too...weather wise and since it is defoliated already anyways.

Good luck!

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
PaulH,

Any chance we could see this winter sillouette?

I decided to go ahead and defoliate. So here it is nude.

[
3-26-14003_zps3a737c84.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Looks great Paul. I have an affinity for Max Braverman pots...I think it goes back to my rec.arts.bonsai days. This one is sweet, and a very good pairing with the oak.

Top Bottom