Coast Live Oak from Santa Cruz

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
This oak was collected in the Santa Cruz, California area by our GSBF President and he sold it to me last year. This Spring I wired it, changed the front, and put it in this Max Braverman pot I've had for about 25 years.
This is a variety unique to the Santa Cruz area with atypically rough bark for a Querus agrifolia and very tight, small foliage.
5-15-13 011.jpg

Nice bark and a twin trunk as well ! Would like to see it with the leaves gone, but it looks great right now. Thanks for sharing.

Nice bark and a twin trunk as well ! Would like to see it with the leaves gone, but it looks great right now. Thanks for sharing.

As always with live oaks, I defoliated it when I re-potted it this spring. Also as always, I forgot to take a picture.... Sorry.

Great tree, Paul. You've created a nice oak-ish image. I like the pot, too!

Cory

Wow, I really like that tree! Very nice bark on it.

The bark is truly an eye catcher on that oak. A nice tree all around!

ed

You could photo shop this onto a hillside and it would look like it belonged there. Very nice work, and love that bark.
Do you have any other photos of this? I'd love to see the base and bark closer, as well as other sides, or leafless...
Thanks Paul.

Very nice tree (and I agree, that bark is spectacular). Count me in as one who'd like to see a photo of the branch structure in the leafless phase.

Chris

Like most, I also love the bark and wish more of the branch structure is visible. Nice leaves as well. :cool:

Since Live Oaks aren't fully deciduous this tree is only leafless when I defoliate it. I'll try to get a picture next time.

Wonderful tree I'm glad you posted it, I am also glad that you have the tree. In my opinion one of the most under-rated trees in bonsai.

As always with live oaks, I defoliated it when I re-potted it this spring. Also as always, I forgot to take a picture.... Sorry.

It isn't obvious to me that this is necessary if you repot early in the spring. I suppose they are going to fall off before too much longer anyway, but it seems like a lot of trouble to go to just for the fun of it. I'd just like to know the underlying thinking for this as I have no experience with any of the varieties of live oaks.

It isn't obvious to me that this is necessary if you repot early in the spring. I suppose they are going to fall off before too much longer anyway, but it seems like a lot of trouble to go to just for the fun of it. I'd just like to know the underlying thinking for this as I have no experience with any of the varieties of live oaks.

I think it accomplishes a few things. First, it stops transpiration, allowing the roots to get going. Second, it tricks the tree into a sudden spring, pushing new buds. It also makes wiring a lot easier. Experience with live oaks has taught me that transplanting them with the leaves on often leads to a dead tree... I haven't lost a defoliated live oak yet.

Paul,

Hope you can take and post a pic or 2 of this oak while "naked".

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom