BRT in Utah

CarsonH

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Would this be a good tree to work with for years to come? I live in Utah as well.

dfg.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yup.....

And I dig it!

Sorce

CarsonH

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Inside in winter if you have the proper setup... I would talk to some peeps that grow them inside and see if you are ready for that kind of adventure.

I have room for some grow lights and I have a humidifer.... I've read a couple post here. If I did get it I would have them hold it until summer came so I could read up and be prepared for next winter.

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don't know the Utah climate but I had my BRT inside, without special light and not too much heat in IL last winter, it lost all its leaves but survived perfectly and grew like weed all spring and summer.
For the present winter it is in a room in my basement (hottest part of the house) with some special plants growth light (cheap from Home Depot, nothing fancy) and it is perfectly healthy.
I even have a little handful of cutting from one of its pruning growing on.
So IMO no problem having one in Utah :)

CarsonH

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know the Utah climate but I had my BRT inside, without special light and not too much heat in IL last winter, it lost all its leaves but survived perfectly and grew like weed all spring and summer.
For the present winter it is in a room in my basement (hottest part of the house) with some special plants growth light (cheap from Home Depot, nothing fancy) and it is perfectly healthy.
I even have a little handful of cutting from one of its pruning growing on.
So IMO no problem having one in Utah :)

Any clue on what the humidity needs to be at when inside a forced air house?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have one inside in Ohio (dry forced air all the time!) and no humidifier. Simple light from South exposure window and a regular florescent light fixture above. No issues, had it for many years in this situation. Outside in the summer of course.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have 3 larger ones and 3 seedling BRT. The longest one I have had for 3 years.

Outside in summer
Inside in my basement under 4 foot fluorescent daylight bulb shop lights. The lights are on for about 15-16 hours per day.
No humidifier but the trees are in plastic trays to catch the water that goes through the pots when I water so there is some humidity from that.

They grow constantly under those conditions. In fact I have to trim them back....

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Any clue on what the humidity needs to be at when inside a forced air house?

I just water my tropical once or twice a week during winter.
Also I put some water in a container underneath the pots in order to have some humidity.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Would this be a good tree to work with for years to come?

Yes, and I would recommend bringing it inside when the nights go down to the low 40's F. Put it on a counter shelf or table near but not on a windowsill for a couple of days and then put it under a light. Humidity is a good question especially if you look at South America and how it varies. Either way Brazil today varies from 78 percent to 94 percent and Southern South America is at 31 percent. If you average the whole country today it is an average of 69 percent. :confused:
http://www.intellicast.com/global/humidity.aspx?region=samer
Unless you have an extremely dry house or place where you are keeping it I suspect the spot will be an average of 35 - 40 percent and just a tray filled with pebbles/stone under the plant will catch water and also allow you to fill it providing plenty of humidity.
That will be plenty good enough for the Winter. We have a room that has Humidity ranging from 50 to 65 percent for plants and I am certain the Dining room at 40 percent would be just fine as well. Keep in mind that plant was most likely grown here in the States and has never seen real high humidity levels over 65 percent.

Grimmy

CarsonH

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you everyone for posting your ideas! Ill most likely purchase one when its not 10F outside :)

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
I like that little tree. I imagine you'll be ale to grow it quite nicely in Utah.

Top Bottom