BRT's covered in black spots

MikeInFLA

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
I've got about 15 BRT's on my back screened in porch. Under the leaves most of them have tiny black spots with white edges. While cutting it out I've come across a few tiny white flying bugs that aren't whitefly. Not sure what this stuff is but it's very sticky to the touch. Any thoughts? I'm in the process of defoliation as I'm not sure what else to do. I'm in South Florida so we don't really have winter. The plants are otherwise very healthy.

Attachments

• BRTCloseUp.jpg
    BRTCloseUp.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 64
  • BRT2CloseUp.jpg
    BRT2CloseUp.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 63

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks like scale to me too.

Scrape them off with your fingernail and kill them

MikeInFLA

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
It might be scale. I can scrape some of them off with my fingernail. Some of them won't scrape off, the leaf just tears apart. Considering how much there is, my guess would be if I worked 8 hours a day scraping the leaves it would take me about a week. I may have to keep trimming. Thanks for the advice.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It might be scale. I can scrape some of them off with my fingernail. Some of them won't scrape off, the leaf just tears apart. Considering how much there is, my guess would be if I worked 8 hours a day scraping the leaves it would take me about a week. I may have to keep trimming. Thanks for the advice.

Use both a topical and a systemic fungicide.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i think these are maybe eggs... scale tends to stay off tender leaves

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Use both a topical and a systemic fungicide.
NO!! Fungicide does what it says on the can- it kills fungi NOT insects LOL
These black scale like objects are the nymphs/pupae of a type of whitefly - you can also see some of the adult flies in your pictures.
See this info link https://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES...iteflies,reduce but not eliminate populations.
I think it could be this species or something similar :-
Mulberry whitefly
(Tetraleurodes mori)
Pupa of mulberry whitefly.
Host plants: avocado, citrus, mulberry, other trees.
Characteristics: Nymphs have blackish, oval bodies with white, waxy fringe. Adults have reddish to gray wing markings.

Last edited:

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
These black scale like objects are the nymphs/pupae of a type of whitefly - you can also see some of the adult flies in your pictures.
See this info link https://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7401.html#:~:text=Reflective mulches can repel whiteflies,reduce but not eliminate populations.
Mulberry whitefly
(Tetraleurodes mori)
Characteristics: Nymphs have blackish, oval bodies with white, waxy fringe. Adults have reddish to gray wing markings.

Oops. Meant to say insecticide. Sorry for the confusion.

Reactions: AJL

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
See this info link https://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7401.html#:~:text=Reflective mulches can repel whiteflies,reduce but not eliminate populations.
Mulberry whitefly
(Tetraleurodes mori)
Thanks for clarification!

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
It might 'take care ' but be aware that its not the safest chemical to use in your garden! Its been banned in Europe and Britain due to its negative impacts on beneficial bees, and other pollinators.
There are various safer alternatives - see the link https://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7401.html#:~:text=Reflective mulches can repel whiteflies,reduce but not eliminate populations
I believe OP stated that the trees were in a screened in porch.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Imidacloprid should take care of that.

This is a good choice for application where over spray and the plants are not accessable to honey bees. Generally our small bonsai collections pose no threat if we don't over do chemical applications. You don't want excess running off out into the yard. If our bonsai are not flowering when we spray, it is unlikely bees will be attracted to them, the bee health risk is minimal.

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
If your trees are not in flower and they are separated from the surrounding environment by the screened in porch the risk of unintended impact is minimal to nonexistent. Imidacloprid systemic granules are very effective against piercing sucking insects when not over used and when care is taken to not expose beneficial pollinators.

*edt: what @Leo in N E Illinois said!

MikeInFLA

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Granules are arriving today. Will report back. Thanks everyone!

MikeInFLA

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
I ended up going with the Imidacloprid granules. A few days after application there were very few (if any) adult whiteflies left. A few days more and there were none. The black spots on the leaves began to shrink and are barely there now. The new growth is clean and the few plants I defoliated have new growth with no issues so far. I'm going to do one more application this weekend just to ensure they are kept at bay. Thanks for the suggestions.

RT111023.jpg

Top Bottom