BRT leaves bouncing back.

stupid

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hello Bonsai Enthusiasts,

Over the span of 5 days, I started to notice that the foliage of my BRT bounced right back out of nowhere, and I am frankly surprised, since I thought it was absolutely done for. I do have a couple questions about this, though....

1. Are these leaves adapted to the new climate? I do recall in one of my previous posts that someone mentioned this, but it would be appreciated if I could get more confirmation on this. I don't want it to be that these leaves drop like the first ones did.

2. Should I cut any old branches that no longer have foliage? I was considering this, but I was also thinking to leave the tree alone and let it do its thing. If I do cut branches, should I cover them with something (like clay), so the cuts don't get infected?

3. Does the BRT growing new leaves guarantee that the BRT is fine now? Should I just keep doing what I have been currently doing?

4. Do I rotate my BRT, so it gets equal amount of light in all of its sides, or do I let it still? I have been leaving it alone.

5. Winter is coming as well and was wondering whether I should use that light I have in that counter next to the BRT for winter or cut all of the foliage off the BRT and prepare it for winter. What procedure do I take when winter gets here?

Again, thank you all for you guys' experience on bonsais, and for any previous comments in all of my other posts. I know I might seem very annoying with all the posts, and I apologize for my lack of knowledge in bonsais.

Hope this all finds you well.

First 2 pictures are from 5 days ago, and the last two are from today.

Aug 26th bonsai top.jpgAug 26th bonsai side.jpgAug 31st bonsai top.jpgAug 31st bonsai side.jpg

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Great news on it responding. These can be finicky.

In general - leave it alone and let it recover. I wouldn’t cut anything or move it around at all. It is trying to get energy positive again…and messing with it may kill it.

Where are you keeping it? Outside hopefully…?

stupid

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Great news on it responding. These can be finicky.

In general - leave it alone and let it recover. I wouldn’t cut anything or move it around at all. It is trying to get energy positive again…and messing with it may kill it.

Where are you keeping it? Outside hopefully…?
Inside unfortunately :(. I'm not allowed to have it outside because of some campus policies. I do try to leave it as close to the window as possible, and it gets the best sunlight you could possibly get in the room. the A/C in my room is set to 70 degrees Fahrenheit. Also, there is a tiny spider making a web in the tree, I'm guessing I should remove that, right?

Russ1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
BRTs have a will to live even when tortured.
The new leaves are adapted to the light it's in, not so much the climate.
I would leave the branches with no leaves until you are sure they are dead, they will turn brown and hard, then cut them.
If you cut into live wood and expose green you can put some cut paste on them.
Yes, turn the plant otherwise it will grow towards one side if in the window.
I would use a light, something like 5000 kelvin is best but any color light, is better than none, the brighter the better, not sure if they like pink grow lights,. I've been using the last few years $24 led shop lights that are 5000K and 4800 Lumins, more or less. I use 3 of those above 2 trees because they are big trees but use to use just one cheap fluorescent shop light until a couple years ago.
I would not cut the leaves off, it may drop them early winter if no lights or mine drop leaves in March under lights but not near a window, though there are 2 windows in the room so I suspect they get there cue from that. You can help it when they start dropping by cutting them but leave the petiole (leaf stem).. This is a good time to see the tree structure and wire and do some minor pruning.
They will also slow down on water usage when the leave are about to drop.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Glad it's recovering. I would second the "do nothing and let it get stronger". Mine really enjoy their time outside. Since you aren't able to do that, give it as much light as you can and keep moist but not soggy.

stupid

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
BRTs have a will to live even when tortured.
The new leaves are adapted to the light it's in, not so much the climate.
I would leave the branches with no leaves until you are sure they are dead, they will turn brown and hard, then cut them.
If you cut into live wood and expose green you can put some cut paste on them.
Yes, turn the plant otherwise it will grow towards one side if in the window.
I would use a light, something like 5000 kelvin is best but any color light, is better than none, the brighter the better, not sure if they like pink grow lights,. I've been using the last few years $24 led shop lights that are 5000K and 4800 Lumins, more or less. I use 3 of those above 2 trees because they are big trees but use to use just one cheap fluorescent shop light until a couple years ago.
I would not cut the leaves off, it may drop them early winter if no lights or mine drop leaves in March under lights but not near a window, though there are 2 windows in the room so I suspect they get there cue from that. You can help it when they start dropping by cutting them but leave the petiole (leaf stem).. This is a good time to see the tree structure and wire and do some minor pruning.
They will also slow down on water usage when the leave are about to drop.
Thank you so much! For the turning, how frequent should I turn my BRT? Since my BRT has more leaves on one side than the other, should I worry about the leaves that aren't getting enough light from one side, or will they be fine? I'm afraid that the side with more leaves will start acting up, and I don't really want that to happen.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thank you so much! For the turning, how frequent should I turn my BRT? Since my BRT has more leaves on one side than the other, should I worry about the leaves that aren't getting enough light from one side, or will they be fine? I'm afraid that the side with more leaves will start acting up, and I don't really want that to happen.
Once a week should be ok but do give it supplemental light. Just the window will not be enough

stupid

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Once a week should be ok but do give it supplemental light. Just the window will not be enough
I have this light about a ruler away from the BRT, will that do, or Should I put it further away? Furthermore, since my BRT is "adapting" to the new light conditions, wouldn't this also maybe cause a disruption in that, or am I overthinking this and my BRT will be fine?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have this light about a ruler away from the BRT, will that do, or Should I put it further away? Furthermore, since my BRT is "adapting" to the new light conditions, wouldn't this also maybe cause a disruption in that, or am I overthinking this and my BRT will be fine?

Keep an eye on the tree, if the foliage gets too close, it will burn the leaves and you will need to move it further away.

You'll need to give it the extra light for best health. It will adapt but it won't adapt to too little and survive. As winter comes, it will get less light from the window due to shorter days, more cloudy days and lower angle of the sun.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@stupid

I keep my BRT in a basement with no windows at all so I provide some pretty strong lighting for them when they are in there for the winter.
Here is a picture of my setup for my tropicals during the winter. Not saying you need anything this elaborate but just as an example

20210104_171651.jpg 20210104_171722.jpg

Russ1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I keep my lights about 4" from the top of the trees but my lights are cool, if your lights get hot I would space it about 6". Light drops off fast, as you double the distance you will get 1/2 as much light. So if you have the light 4" and move to 8" you will have 1/2 the light. If you move it again to 16" you will have 1/2 the light again or 1/4 as much as at 4". Moving from 4" to 2" will double the light. A lot depends on the lights output.

stupid

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I keep my lights about 4" from the top of the trees but my lights are cool, if your lights get hot I would space it about 6". Light drops off fast, as you double the distance you will get 1/2 as much light. So if you have the light 4" and move to 8" you will have 1/2 the light. If you move it again to 16" you will have 1/2 the light again or 1/4 as much as at 4". Moving from 4" to 2" will double the light. A lot depends on the lights output.
Here is my light, and its proximity to my BRT. It is hot to the touch, so I should probably move it further, right? Also, the bottom picture is something I'm beginning to get concerned about. Is the cluster in their fine, or should I do some light pruning to make sure there is better airflow in there?

Again, thank you for helping me out.
light.jpgcluster.jpg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here is my light, and its proximity to my BRT. It is hot to the touch, so I should probably move it further, right? Also, the bottom picture is something I'm beginning to get concerned about. Is the cluster in their fine, or should I do some light pruning to make sure there is better airflow in there?

Again, thank you for helping me out.

I wouldnt move it further away. The leaves shouldnt get burned from it that far away. That usually happens when its a couple of inches away not, 10 - 12 inches as it seems in the picture

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Canadian growing a BRT here. Just my observation that that light does not look very powerful for a tropical. I use spider farmer SF1000 Lights + its next to a window. BRT's are extremely fast growers, (I usually need to prune it 3 times over winter) especially if your keeping it indoors year round, I would suggest a much more powerful light.

Theonly times I have had leaf drop with my BRT is when I repotted it (it was dormant for probably a month) and right before it has a huge flush of growth or when a branch gets too leggy it will usually start killing older leaves.

Top Bottom