Bonsai/trees/shrub suggestions for newbie to practice on?

Scaryface

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hiya Guys

So as the heading states, any trees shrubs or plants of different types that I should look at that which are relatively hardy and easy to work with?

imo: Chinese elm for outside, Ficus for inside, both are virtually indestructable. And if your really bad in plants maybe a succulent :)

My definition of a good tree to learn with..

Is a crappy tree of the same species you wish to keep nice.

If you want a nice _______.
Practice on a crappy ______.

That said.....not only is the "one insult" per year philosophy good to keep a healthy tree.
It is essential to learn.

If you prune, wire, and repot all at once...
You'll never know what killed it.

You MUST know what harmed your tree.
THOSE are the very limits we must push to create interesting trees.
Pushed limits kill trees.....

Better to find those limits on a crappy one! And just meet them with the nice one.

Nice Avatar.
http://www.bonsainut.com/threads/of-toads-and-other-pets.20633/

Sorce

For your side - there is a large S.A Bonsai society.

I offer - Pomegranate, Olive, Pine, Indoor Oak [ was Nicodemia d - google ]
I am sure Herman [ Yuki,,, ] and Fredman can fill in lots more............
Good Day
Anthony

** Ficus is easy to grow, not easy to train, often all root design with a green hat.

@Cypress187 - Thanks will keep my eyes peeled for those don't want an expensive tree to die because I made a tiny mistake. But as Sorce put it. I should just practice on "crappy" stock.

@sorce I see. So keep a prize and keep a guinea pig. Makes sense. And don't do too much at once, got it.

As for my avatar that blue guy was starting to creep me out. So a great dane for Dane.

For your side - there is a large S.A Bonsai society.

I offer - Pomegranate, Olive, Pine, Indoor Oak [ was Nicodemia d - google ]
I am sure Herman [ Yuki,,, ] and Fredman can fill in lots more............
Good Day
Anthony

** Ficus is easy to grow, not easy to train, often all root design with a green hat.

Awesome thanks !

@Cypress187 - Thanks will keep my eyes peeled for those don't want an expensive tree to die because I made a tiny mistake. But as Sorce put it. I should just practice on "crappy" stock.
Well, i bought 2 elm's and someone gave me a ficus (2 to be precise). And i collected some crappy material also. So i had plenty tree's to kill the first year :p with the lowest cost. I can recommend to try to propegate any branch or twig you prune, so you can practise some more or trade.

@ Geo - Was thinking of the Black Monkey throne as it is indigeonous

@Cypress187 - lol. My aim will ultimately be not to kill anything :p but I don't think it's gonna pan out that way.

@milehigh_7 - so much of options :D

Back
Top Bottom