Blasted Freeze warning next two nights.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I mean 39 and 38 … not 308 lol. These are the ones that survived when my greenhouse got down to 28 over Christmas.

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Sending prayers to the cold weather homies, good luck. 😢

check the madden julian oscillation for 10-20 day weather trends, looks like this was definitely triggered in part by phase 1 MJO (extreme cold anomalies east of the rockies)

Here in south florida it has been monsoon for the past two weeks but it is settling down (phases 7 and 1 MJO)
Phase 6 seems probable after the first week of May which would imply elevated heat for everyone in the US except along the edge of the west coast.

We are also transitioning into El niño very aggressively for the first time since 2019 so there will be many moving parts this year.
62% chance of El Niño developing during May-July 2023 according to the CPC/NCEP. If that evolves into a strong ENSO into winter, it could mean dangerous cold for the southern half of the country combined with extreme precipitation, which would be the equivalent to subtracting 1-2 USDA zones for some.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Last night only hit 36F. Tonight is going to be a little colder. Calling for 30s on Tuesday night as well.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Last night only hit 36F. Tonight is going to be a little colder. Calling for 30s on Tuesday night as well.
I ended up putting all the broadleaf trees back into the high tunnel. I’ll know next year not to bring them out until May.

- S

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have freeze/frost warnings all week now. Ugh... At least I'm home on vacation this week.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
29 tonight. Going mushroom hunting before the freeze tonight. Coming home and shuffling trees again.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
good thinking. in MA we are getting high 30s a few nights. ill position my shelf a bit more protected and my
toms and pepper starters ill put in the garage overnight

1682349690456.png

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What is it about the physiology of Japanese maples that makes them unusually sensitive to a late-season freeze? All three species of Ficus trees that I keep easily handled a late frost that wilted the new leaves on my Japanese Maple seedlings. The seedlings bounced back with more new leaves, so there was nothing ultimately lost, but it just seems weird that a temperate species would have so much trouble with normal springtime temperature fluctuations, whereas a tropical species can handle it without any sign of frostbite.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Hard frost this morning, glad everything was tucked in the garage. We should be Ok now 🤞, lows the rest of the week in the mid forties.

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
What is it about the physiology of Japanese maples that makes them unusually sensitive to a late-season freeze? All three species of Ficus trees that I keep easily handled a late frost that wilted the new leaves on my Japanese Maple seedlings. The seedlings bounced back with more new leaves, so there was nothing ultimately lost, but it just seems weird that a temperate species would have so much trouble with normal springtime temperature fluctuations, whereas a tropical species can handle it without any sign of frostbite.
(off top of my head from anecdotal maple vs ficus facts)the waxy vs 'unwaxed' cuticle probably plays a role in the vulnerability. maples dont have thick waxy cuticles that ficus have, so they lose a lot of strength if they invested in early spring growth and get hit with a frost, but can handle plenty of cold if it comes during mid winter dormancy. Possible that the increased sap flow during spring can conduct the cold through the vascular system via the damaged buds in younger trees resulting in more damage.

Ficuses do have the milky sap flow, it's active year round for me, im not sure if the sap slows down in colder climates or if it can be a vulnerability. During the 3 or 4 unusual 'cold fronts' in my area this winter (~35-40F lows at night which my trees aren't used to at all), my tiger barks and benjaminas were unharmed, bucida spinosas got some browning/graying of leaves and lost a few twigs. They have tiny leaves with a very thin cuticle.

Would be good to hear someone else who is actually familiar with the situational physiology differences chime in.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
My problem is that I do everything to excess. That is what I need to change. Other than the 10 flats and 30 or so large tropicals I need to move inside, I have around 100 JM in one gallon pots, 0ver 50 just potted up from 4 inch, and about 100 more that are in three inch pots with just a primary set of leaves.
Fortunately I have only moved about 30% of my tropicals outside.
Well, back to clearing space now.
Easy solution here Sir. Just leave them outside. I'm tempted to do that all the time. 29 F here tonight.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wish I had a job where I could be wrong most of the time and still get paid.
Ha ha yes, And I have never heard one of them say, "Well we sure blew it on yesterdays forecast again didn't we?" 28 here. I moved a bunch but 2 large ones recently repotted stayed out because I was tired. LOL

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
How much watering represents a thermal barrier?
I personally couldn't quantify it. The idea is that the water drops on the leaves must freeze- and give off heat- before the water inside the leaves can freeze. If temps are 30ish and I'm comfortable the sun will be warming my bench within 30-60 minutes, I'll spray all the foliage down and leave for work. If temps were colder, I'd probably just leave the plants inside for the day. Hopefully, tomorrow morning is the last time I'll have to think so hard about this :rolleyes: .

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It was 30F when I got up this morning. Predicted was 34, so I am a bit gun shy.
I wish I had a job where I could be wrong most of the time and still get paid.
I bring trees in when temperatures are forecast to be 36 and below. I know my microclimate runs a bit colder and a bit warmer than the official forecast. I also look at National Weather Service forecasts--which issue frost and freeze alerts specifically county by county.

Top Bottom