Blasted Freeze warning next two nights.

It was 30F when I got up this morning. Predicted was 34, so I am a bit gun shy.
I wish I had a job where I could be wrong most of the time and still get paid.
meteorology is a hilarious science. The best that one could do is work within ballpark ranges. Forecast computer models also go 'rogue' quite often and give contrary forecasts vs the active teleconnections (madden julian, ENSO, PNA, NAO, PDO), more often than not, simply following the basics of madden julian/enso and referring to the most recent gfs/ecmwf as a tie breaker is more accurate than simply adhering to the computer model as 'the absolute truth' and watching as it changes its mind every 6 hours.

We hit 35 here last night even though the prediction was for 31-32. This is about what I have come to expect as we usually run a couple of degrees warmer than predicted. Still I brought in the BRT and put my maples on the porch next to the sliding glass door. I got burned last year when I left my wisteria out and it dropped to 32 one April night–lost all the flowers and buds on both and they didn’t recover until mid-June. So now I know better than chance it.

My problem is that I do everything to excess. That is what I need to change. Other than the 10 flats and 30 or so large tropicals I need to move inside, I have around 100 JM in one gallon pots, 0ver 50 just potted up from 4 inch, and about 100 more that are in three inch pots with just a primary set of leaves.
Fortunately I have only moved about 30% of my tropicals outside.
Well, back to clearing space now.

I'm (and have been for about 2 years) building landscape and pre-bonsai stock... I aim to "open" in 2025.

So I DEFINITELY feel you on the hundreds of containers moved, daily!

At least the boys help.

🤓

I'm (and have been for about 2 years) building landscape and pre-bonsai stock... I aim to "open" in 2025.

So I DEFINITELY feel you on the hundreds of containers moved, daily!

At least the boys help.

🤓
You definitely need a walk in hoop house if not a full greenhouse fir an operation like that.

You definitely need a walk in hoop house if not a full greenhouse fir an operation like that.

Oh I have/had a decent coldframe.... But I disassemble it to build my benches... Part of it goes to make the temp greenhouse. Then the greenhouse is broken down and the materials harvested to FINISH said benches. 🤣 (Po'folk prollems)

Luckily a good chunk of my plants are in development. (Smaller containers or trays((easier to move))) .. I am building both landscape as well as pre-bonsai and collected specimen tree stock. I just need my stock (minus collected specimen) to be fully rotating before I attempt to "open". My aim is 2025...

Wintering THIS winter will be... A challenge.

I think i'll not 'jump the gun' next season 'round.

Oh I have/had a decent coldframe.... But I disassemble it to build my benches... Part of it goes to make the temp greenhouse. Then the greenhouse is broken down and the materials harvested to FINISH said benches. 🤣 (Po'folk prollems)

Luckily a good chunk of my plants are in development. (Smaller containers or trays((easier to move))) .. I am building both landscape as well as pre-bonsai and collected specimen tree stock. I just need my stock (minus collected specimen) to be fully rotating before I attempt to "open". My aim is 2025...

Wintering THIS winter will be... A challenge.

I think i'll not 'jump the gun' next season 'round.
I always picture it being difficult to operate a nursery in really cold environments. I love watching videos of overwintering techniques, etc, but I'm glad I dont have to do it. I guess it also depends on your plant selection. You going conifer/evergreen heavy I assume?

Go hard with the prep, there's nothing more satisfying than being well prepared and relaxed when adversity shows up.

I always picture it being difficult to operate a nursery in really cold environments. I love watching videos of overwintering techniques, etc, but I'm glad I dont have to do it. I guess it also depends on your plant selection. You going conifer/evergreen heavy I assume?

Go hard with the prep, there's nothing more satisfying than being well prepared and relaxed when adversity shows up.

Hehe! Deciduous trees are my "jam"..

But the collections are a mix of both.

I intend to run a smaller, but consistent and unique operation.

Even planning for smaller... Is a TON of work!

🤓

True words my friend. I constantly need to reign myself in.
2025 is also my target date.
That is SUPER exciting, aen naami ("friend" In Michif), I wish your ventures well, and look forward to being a customer!

As the kiddos say, "We'll RUN this mofo, dawg!"..

....do the kiddos still talk like that?

🤣🤣🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️

I personally couldn't quantify it. The idea is that the water drops on the leaves must freeze- and give off heat- before the water inside the leaves can freeze. If temps are 30ish and I'm comfortable the sun will be warming my bench within 30-60 minutes, I'll spray all the foliage down and leave for work. If temps were colder, I'd probably just leave the plants inside for the day. Hopefully, tomorrow morning is the last time I'll have to think so hard about this :rolleyes: .
Don’t count on it, looks like we will still be low 30’s into next week…

Back
Top Bottom