Bald Cypress - nursery stock

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
In my first year of the hobby last year I purchased a bald Cypress from a nursery as one of my first few trees to develop some skills. It was a little late in the season to work on but it seems to have survived, I repotted it today. The roots are undercut on the backside so may not have a future by itself. I purchased a few whips last year too so I could add this as the #1 tree in a forest if I want to go that way. Hoping for some vigorous backbudding and growth this season. It's 18" to the chop.IMG_20180212_173832.jpgIMG_20180212_180721.jpgIMG_20180212_180949.jpg

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
what is the soil you used? BC like A LOT of water and that doesn't look like it holds alot. Id worry about it drying out

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That's 8822 dressed on top, it's got quite a bit of peat mixed underneath, I will also find a tray to set it in. I'll certainly post an update after it leafs out.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't know what 8822 is, but it's too coarse for BC development.

FWIW, I use 20 percent regular old bonsai soil with 80 percent crappy potting soil or topsoil...BC soil doesn't--and shouldn't--drain all that well.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Don't know what 8822 is, but it's too coarse for BC development.

FWIW, I use 20 percent regular old bonsai soil with 80 percent crappy potting soil or topsoil...BC soil doesn't--and shouldn't--drain all that well.
Thank you for the input, I'll certainly include more organic when I repot the others.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I do have a question concerning the bark of bald Cypress. The trunk up to about the top of the can in the photo was previously potted below the soil surface. What time frame could I expect for that newly exposed area to bark up?

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That looks awesome! Any plans for wiring?
Thanks, it's just been clip and grow to this point. Maybe I'll put some wire sometime but I don't want to flatten out the branches but keep them moving up maybe with just a little nicer wiggle.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I think I remember you layered one, correct? Did it root pretty easy?
I layered 3. They root AND bridge easily so an absolute clean up of the cambium layer is a must. With your tree I think it is best to just get rid of the circle part. You still have a good base flare after that part is cut out. A layer get you a weak base.

Top Bottom