All aboard the Mugo train!

Just t browsing through some of my Pictures from two years ago. These were taken in the summer of 2014 in Iowa.DSC_2990 copy.JPG
This is the maturing seed cone in July

DSC_2988 copy.JPG
These are the polen cones expended July 2014

DSC_2987.JPG
This is the terminal bud July 2014

Part 3, the Mugo walk. Most of these appear to be Pumilio though there are about ten more shots in this sequence some of which may be the more dwarf varieties. Most of the trees shown here are in excess of ten feet tall.

DSC_2996.JPG
DSC_2997.JPG DSC_2998.JPGDSC_2999.JPG DSC_3000.JPG

I don't have a lot of time so I will explain later. The development of The Angry Bird Mugo.

View attachment 98354 View attachment 98355 View attachment 98356 View attachment 98357

I just realized that I have not presented the response to why you allow growth to form on a cut stub is it appears. If you follow the progression from the drastic reduction where the Y was cut by 50%, which was substantial. I left the tree alone after that for a while and then look what happens. This one little lonely branch appears at the end.

As I have mentioned numerous times cutting branches flush, especially large branches can cause some die back right down to the ground and the entire life line associated with this branch dies. This small branch was allowed to stay and at one point I entertained the option of doing something with it. In letting it stay the life line was kept active.

At one point it was mentioned by one of my brutal critics I have on this site that the tree reminded him of the cartoon character The angry Bird. Once I stopped jumping up and down and cursing the INTERNET I realized he was right. I then started to recognize the possibilities without this branch and a changed position and design. So I cut the now fairly well developed left side branch on a stub by reducing every thing down. At this point I realized possibly the trunk portion would not die.

Her are some close ups of the results of the kind growth from the kind of buds you see in the previous post featuring the three year old growth cutback.

View attachment 98232 View attachment 98233 View attachment 98234 View attachment 98235 View attachment 98236 View attachment 98237 after reduction from three year old growth.

You may notice that I have a little bit of Pine scale that I have to treat. We have a neighbor in the neighborhood that has a large Mugo with a large dose of scale. Every year my Mugos catch it from the neighbors tree. You may also notice some wire scars; these too will disappear in a year or two.

Here is the results of this last weekend's styling effort. I'm not sure I really like where this is at the moment, but things can change.

DSC_0088MugReject2016.jpg

Here is the results of this last weekend's styling effort. I'm not sure I really like where this is at the moment, but things can change.

View attachment 99107
I have a question Vance. I've been meaning to ask this for a while but keep forgetting.
Have you ever grew out a mugo pine in the ground?

No. I usually find Mugos that are at the reduction point of development. The closest I have come to growing one out in the ground is putting it into one of my training planters. The one I am showing here I have had for about 15 years. I started it out in a custom made planter and grew it in there for a number of years and reduced it down into a smaller planter. The tree was originally a fairly large balled in burlap tree. aka mud ball Mugo.

B&BMugoII.f.jpg

10 posts till @Vance Wood hits 8k posts!

Legendary Net Bonsai Wank Status!

The train oughtta see the #8,000.

Somebody post a Mugo!

Let's throw some trash can lids!

Sorce

Throwing trash can lids is not as much fun as it used to be. Now days, because they are all made of plastic, they only make this kind of hollow thunk when they hit the ground and not that wonderful crash, swish and rattle the old aluminum ones do.

Throwing trash can lids is not as much fun as it used to be. Now days, because they are all made of plastic, they only make this kind of hollow thunk when they hit the ground and not that wonderful crash, swish and rattle the old aluminum ones do.

We found one in that shit cave of an old oil tank at my work, half corroded, I couldn't help but think of Oscar the Grouch.

It's been about that long since I seen one too!

Sorce

Mugo (Pumilio) in the snow storm. I had just started to gradually pull things out from under cover and low and behold; snow, April 2-3. Spring in Michigan is such a trip.

View attachment 100051

Looks like a Xmas card :)

Spring in Michigan obviously continue its trip down to Illinois yesterday :( Best blizzard of the year tabarnack! :mad:

I went on a the weather sucks and I'm bored net search. After a day of looking at everything the the search Mugo Pine issued I found some interesting things I am ashamed to admit. I did not know that there were about fifteen different cultivars of Mugo Pine, a lot of them seem to be European issues. Follows is the list. If you know of otheres please let me know, I have been meaning to compile this for some time. Mugo cultivars: Benjimin, Gnome, Humpy, Mops, Mughus, Ophir, Turra, Alpanzwerg, Montana, Laurin, Carstine Wintergold, Tyrolian, Typ Tirol, Varella, Valley Cushion, I think I remember running into a Tom Thumb dwarf. Of course there is the Unchinata considered by some to be a separate species, and the Pumilio which is the most often encountered cultivar in America, and natural growing, and most often collected in Europe. Any others you can think of; I would like to hear about. I of course have not fooled around with all of these listed, from the photos I have seen many of them do not look so different from each other.

According to my knowledge Mughus, Uncinata and Pumilio are subspecies (e.g. Pinus mugo ssp. mughus). I' ve got a much longer list of mugo cultivars somewhere in my notes, the availability depends on the market. There're some 'Gnom', 'Curly' and 'Wintersonne' cultivars on my shelves.

According to my knowledge Mughus, Uncinata and Pumilio are subspecies (e.g. Pinus mugo ssp. mughus). I' ve got a much longer list of mugo cultivars somewhere in my notes, the availability depends on the market. There're some 'Gnom', 'Curly' and 'Wintersonne' cultivars on my shelves.
Montana is supposedly the species according to a Gymnosperms book I cannot now locate.

Back
Top Bottom