All aboard the Mugo train!

I assume you understand that this tree is really just a blank slate as far as bonsai is concerned. If you cannot see a direction the tree should be going at this point you need to start thinking about a programed and conceptualized reduction of material to encourage and develop the best aspects of the tree.

Last edited:
image.jpg
She.....has long wangs!

@Vance Wood , WTF! Should I have candles so long? They are just starting to move.

Sorce
This means the tree is vigorous, what's the problem? You wait till the middle of July then you cut the candles off just above the point where they started growing this spring. The goal is to encourage a bunch of back budding all over the tree which will give you a bunch of options you will wish you had latter on.

what's the problem?

Just that its not mine!

Seriously....
Ours up here just aren't going yet?
My Amur is almost leafed out, I kinda expected ole Muugs to be going already.

Do you have any growing yet?

Sorce

Just that its not mine!

Seriously....
Ours up here just aren't going yet?
My Amur is almost leafed out, I kinda expected ole Muugs to be going already.

Do you have any growing yet?

Sorce
I reply to the posts as I see them. If you, or anyone else posts something between my fat fingering the key board and what I post does not refer to your post does not mean I am ignoring what you wrote. I cannot always get to these things as soon as myself or others may want. Having said that you are right; Mugos up in this part of the World are doing nothing more than having the buds swell at the moment. They, meaning the buds, will not break till around the middle of April and will not candle, as thopse shown previously, till June.

I think Vance wanted to demonstrate how to "grow" jin with some character showing the latest set of pics. If you remove the buds on the left lowest branch, you will have simple jin. If you leave them develop and grow the secondaries and then jin it, the result will be the jin with some smaller jins. Plus sth about a live vein... We'll see.

Yes I got that.
I was just pointing that @Vance Wood was speaking of a branch being more or less 30% of the tree, so I don't think we were speaking of the same branch :)

But actually regarding this little stump I am still not certain what I'll do with it so for the moment it will keep growing its bud(s). I don't think I will want a jin on this stump anyway, may be more a cut directly on the trunk in order to try to have a nice round scare...
Will see.
Something I learned about bonsai at least: 'emergency is rarely part of the vocabulary' :D

If you want to cut it flush make sure it is totally dry, you can do as you wish but sometimes the wounds will not heal the way to desire. That's why I prefer a jin, that way there are not "oops" or excuses.

I assume you understand that this tree is really just a blank slate as far as bonsai is concerned. If you cannot see a direction the tree should be going at this point you need to start thinking about a programed and conceptualized reduction of material to encourage and develop the best aspects of the tree.

Yes, so far I'm hoping to keep it alive, haven't decided much past that. Just happy to have one, and glad yall say she's healthy!

I know the subject of Jins and similar elements keeps coming up so I think I am going to post a series sub-articles on the Jin and the Mugo Pine. If you are interested keep posted but it is going to take a little while because most of my trees are still under shelter and will remain there until April.

I can't wait to see what mine does!
This'll be my first....and only....pine into spring!

I have 2 (both mugo) but the 2nd one doesn't seem to have bud for the moment.

This 2nd is a real shorty (like 10 cm high - that's about 2 or 3" right? -) but has already much more character: more evolved bark and trunk, shorter, greener needles and a much more 'tree' shape overall.
It seems to be in perfect health but no bud, future candles though.
All that is because I got the 1st one at Home Depot for approx 15-20 bucks while I got the 2nd one at the Hidden Garden Nursery and, despite its close to mame size, it was already $12...
:)

I may try to take pictures but I still don't understand well my camera for such small things like that...

@Vance Wood : so 'cut it flush' is the term for cutting right to the trunk, get a round scare and make a nest for a howl like in most Disney cartoons.
Thanks for that! It's not always easy to describe what I've got in mind without the right vocabulary :)

And also thanks for the totality of your posts/threads/videos/work it makes me really love pines and want to get more! :cool:

Last edited:
@Vance Wood I bought my first ever pine from a garden centre maybe 5 years back because of you and this year I have thought it good enough to go in it's first bonsai pot. Thanks for sharing the wisdom to get it to where it is :) If interested I'll take a pic tomorrow.
Please I would very much like to see a picture.

Sweet Marie!

Is that collected?
Nursery?

I like it!

Sorce

Sweet Marie!

Is that collected?
Nursery?

I like it!

Sorce

It was a bush with one long skinny branch jutting out that I got from a garden centre. Rather than cut it off I decided to go semi cascade with it.

Here it is, just potted up a few weeks back from a pond basket. I'll hopefully be in a position to remove the visible root when I next repot. Any tips other than increased ramification / reduction in fert to reduce needle size?

You have done very well, I am impressed. This is exactly how a nursery Mugo should start looking. It takes a little time but it is worth it. Can you tell me any other tree available to you that can look like this in what---five years?

Let's wait and see how it responds this season. Around July we will cut back the new growth.

You have done very well, I am impressed. This is exactly how a nursery Mugo should start looking. It takes a little time but it is worth it. Can you tell me any other tree available to you that can look like this in what---five years?

Let's wait and see how it responds this season. Around July we will cut back the new growth.

Thank you - the Scots is another Pine that does well here. I have grown some from seed that will (with the right techniques) in time be good trees.

I am currently trying to prove @Smoke wrong that I can grow a passable Black Pine so I hope @Adair M continues to post his informative threads.

I don't know why you cannot grow a decent JBP in your area as long as you are aware that really cold winters can be a problem on them and that your winter storage will have to be good.

Back
Top Bottom