All aboard the Mugo train!

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
I can't leave trees on my benches. It's just too cold. I tried a couple of Siberian elms and a Mugo 3 winters ago to see.
They all died. Granted they saw temps 35 degrees below zero but that zone 2 rating for those trees is ones in the ground.
I have to put mine away.
I doesn't get quite that cold here. Occasional Teens below zero at night is normal thru jan and feb. Perhaps this year i can make a better plan, I have a bulk head to my basement. And was thinking I could make a room in my basement sealed off from the inside temps using the draft from the bulk head to keep that room cooler. If I can seal it off real good I could leave the inner bulkhead doors open and keep consistent 30 degree temps, just not trying to burn up all my oil, if its too drafty, plus I only have space for a 10x10 room, it can only house some of my trees. I dont know why I diddnt start that project last fall. I had no vole hits last year and figured i was okay.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
One of the benefits of urban living, my neighborhood is loaded with feral cats. I think I have 3 to 5 different cats that visit my backyard daily. I only had squirrel, rabbit or vole damage of over wintering stock once. I do get the odd cat sitting on a tree, or leaning against one and ''re-arranging'' the branches. Squirrel damage to the trees for me comes mainly in autumn, when the squirrels are frantically burying food for the winter. Then they climb on my benches and plant things in my bonsai.

tree4me

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know it's probably too early but are these buds/branchlets old/strong enough to cut back to? I have quite a few through out the tree.

IMG_0475.jpg IMG_0476.jpg IMG_0477.jpg

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I know it's probably too early but are these buds/branchlets old/strong enough to cut back to? I have quite a few through out the tree.

View attachment 178862 View attachment 178863View attachment 178864

Is this a Mugo Pine? Looks more like a Red Pine. How much sun does this tree get during the growing season. The needles do look Mugo but definitely not getting what it needs. I would like to see the tree straight on, all of it not just a branch or two. You are talking about cutting it back now and has it actually started growing? My Mugos are not growing at all yet and probably will not grow at all till April and the earliest.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
At about 16 needle pairs I think you’re approaching a bare minimum to remain after a cut. It’s risky and I’d probably wait one more growing season.
The question about growing location has not been answered yet. Cutting back a tree without a good build up of resources is futile and even detrimental. Mugos like and need good exposure to sun light, if they do not get it they weaken and decline.

tree4me

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How much sun does this tree get during the growing season. The needles do look Mugo but definitely not getting what it needs. I would like to see the tree straight on, all of it not just a branch or two.

Excellent observation. They, I have 3, are set in an area of the yard that was only getting 3-4 hours of direct sunlight a day through winter, but were out of the wind. I tried picking the lesser of 2 evils. I'm glad they are still with me though.
IMG_0486.jpg IMG_0487.jpg

You are talking about cutting it back now and has it actually started growing?
I wasn't looking to prune now per-say, just trying to get a feel of size and health that would make it viable to trim back safely.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Excellent observation. They, I have 3, are set in an area of the yard that was only getting 3-4 hours of direct sunlight a day through winter, but were out of the wind. I tried picking the lesser of 2 evils. I'm glad they are still with me though.
View attachment 178923View attachment 178924

I wasn't looking to prune now per-say, just trying to get a feel of size and health that would make it viable to trim back safely.
View attachment 178923View attachment 178924

how much sun do they get during the growing season. During the winter it's not so important. You should not think about a cut back till summer.

tree4me

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
how much sun do they get during the growing season.
They get a good 10-11 hours of sun. Another issue maybe I stopped fertilizing around mid October. Could be these are my first pines and I don't know what I'm doing.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
@Vance Wood When we have a new nursery Mugo, this summer when I saw the root ball in half... how much foliage can I also take off?
In most cases as much as two/thirds, one half is safe enough. People will tell you not to cut at all; don't listen to them unless they have a back yard full of Mugos. Don't saw the root ball in half until the first of July.

Reaction score
Look what found it's way home with me.
qr0EXft.jpg

zJA2VyI.jpg

Should I be worried about the slight yellowing? Thanks!

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
In most cases as much as two/thirds, one half is safe enough. People will tell you not to cut at all; don't listen to them unless they have a back yard full of Mugos. Don't saw the root ball in half until the first of July.
Good day Lord Mugo. Pissy selection here this year, so far, but went ahead and picked up a pumilio just for kicks.
What in the world, cold? making the shoots curl over like this?
My guess is was green house grown and moved outdoors in Feb with the warm temps, then froze...
My plan is to divide 2 or 3 trees from this (multiple individuals) and plant 1 or 2 in ground. July as with repotting I suppose.

Attachments

• DSC_1908.JPG
    DSC_1908.JPG
    196.1 KB · Views: 54

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Good day Lord Mugo. Pissy selection here this year, so far, but went ahead and picked up a pumilio just for kicks.
What in the world, cold? making the shoots curl over like this?
My guess is was green house grown and moved outdoors in Feb with the warm temps, then froze...
My plan is to divide 2 or 3 trees from this (multiple individuals) and plant 1 or 2 in ground. July as with repotting I suppose.
It is difficult to tell you exactly what is going on here but I seriously doubt that the tree is in question. If you lose the new growth it will back bud and give you a bunch more. Probably stress from being shipped in a truck.

Top Bottom