All aboard the Mugo train!

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Keri are you on AusBonsai too? I think I have read some of your posts over there. Good job on the styling btw, nicely placed branches on the outside of curves and no knobbly whorls. If you're feeling semi cascade can one of those branches become a leader to compress the tree in future?

Photobucket messed my attempt at a semi cascade from nursery stock up, hope you don't mind me posting one up to update:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/XAEiuA] IMG_20160323_132645_zpstoqrnbox by Paul Pashley, on Flickr[/URL]

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
Keri are you on AusBonsai too? I think I have read some of your posts over there. Good job on the styling btw, nicely placed branches on the outside of curves and no knobbly whorls. If you're feeling semi cascade can one of those branches become a leader to compress the tree in future?

Thanks! I don't remember being on there, possible though.... yeah the basic branch selection was the initial aim, I compressed the apex with that last bend and left shoots in place one level down as a place to chop to as a plan B. The whole upper trunk is still pretty flexible though, so it could have an overall curve added to in the future to compress it and add more movement. The top of the current trunk was a branch itself actually thinking about it, there's a chop at the back.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Tough day on the mugo train. Voles stripped all needles and buds on one, its a goner, this one has 3 buds still intact and a few straggling needles, I'm hoping for the best with this guy. All the ones that have been repotted and I'm working on branch structure are still buried in ice and I have limited hope. Its not looking like a good year for me. Not sure how many mugos, 2 hornbeam, a slew of silverberry, every japanese maple, 2 scots in rough shape, found 4 ravaged crab apples. I can only imagine all the trees I planted out in the yard.
Quite depressing to say the least, not sure I will continue this hobby. It brought me serious joy but this makes my efforts over the past few years all for nothing. And thats the worst part. It a devastating feeling.
Moth balls, poison, nothing deterred them this year. I diddnt get a single hit last year, and delt with minor damage the year before.

Attachments

• 0214181521.jpg
    0214181521.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 77

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Tough day on the mugo train. Voles stripped all needles and buds on one, its a goner, this one has 3 buds still intact and a few straggling needles, I'm hoping for the best with this guy. All the ones that have been repotted and I'm working on branch structure are still buried in ice and I have limited hope. Its not looking like a good year for me. Not sure how many mugos, 2 hornbeam, a slew of silverberry, every japanese maple, 2 scots in rough shape, found 4 ravaged crab apples. I can only imagine all the trees I planted out in the yard.
Quite depressing to say the least, not sure I will continue this hobby. It brought me serious joy but this makes my efforts over the past few years all for nothing. And thats the worst part. It a devastating feeling.
Moth balls, poison, nothing deterred them this year. I diddnt get a single hit last year, and delt with minor damage the year before.
That's terrible. I'm really sorry

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Man dude! That's a kick in the crotch!
I know exactly how this feels.
It makes you feel helpless,inadequate and in my case embarrassed. Not to mention very,very angry.
I hate to say it but conifers are the last trees they attack. They eat the sweet trees first. Like hawthorn,maple and fruit trees. Then they move onto the conifers.
I found vole damage to one tree this year when it thawed a while back. My nice hawthorn. The little bastards did it over night. I check every day. It was fine one day. The next it had been cut back hard. They didn't girdle the trunk so I will be able to grow the branches back out again.
I believe I caught it in time. I set traps and got 2. A male and a nursing female. If the babies were that young ,they froze. Too bad. I then made up a mixture of castor oil and water with some strong peppermint oil added in for a deterrent. So far,so good but I check every day.
The little bastards got into my steel enclosure somehow. And I believe the molemax diluted from the rain last month.
I can't say how sorry I am to hear about your run in with the V.C.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Man dude! That's a kick in the crotch!
I know exactly how this feels.
It makes you feel helpless,inadequate and in my case embarrassed. Not to mention very,very angry.
I hate to say it but conifers are the last trees they attack. They eat the sweet trees first. Like hawthorn,maple and fruit trees. Then they move onto the conifers.
The further I dig into the cold frame the worse it gets. This was a killer start to a hornbeam......... Or so I thought

Attachments

• 0214181545.jpg
    0214181545.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 72

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Soldano666 you still have to unlock the power of the Demon. Figure it out!

Just leave em out on the benches!

I have a hose just rolled up empty on the side of the house..all the snow melted around it......got me thinking you don't even have to use hot water ........

You can just run an empty hose from the house, around the pots, and back to the house, so you can have a little fan pumping warm air out thru it.....

Should be enough warm for the roots, and you can keep shit up on shelves.

Though....most shit would be fine just left up and out anyway!

Fuck them Croits!

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Soldano666 you still have to unlock the power of the Demon. Figure it out!

Just leave em out on the benches!

I have a hose just rolled up empty on the side of the house..all the snow melted around it......got me thinking you don't even have to use hot water ........

You can just run an empty hose from the house, around the pots, and back to the house, so you can have a little fan pumping warm air out thru it.....

Should be enough warm for the roots, and you can keep shit up on shelves.

Though....most shit would be fine just left up and out anyway!

Fuck them Croits!

Sorce
I'm thinking of making a box out of 1/8in hardware cloth, bottom and sides, removable, tight top. Stacking mulch straw around that. On the north side ofc my house. Put bait between the wire and straw. We will see.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
How did the Mugos fare? This has been a bad year, we have had as much as a week at a tinme in single digits and below. What I have been hearing hear reenforces what I already knew and believed that cold frames and sheds provide shelter for trees and those things that eat them. One gentleman in our club a number of years ago had built a below ground shelter complete with a close-able lid and door, the critters loved it. I have always told people that you don't want to set up a circumstance of shelter for you trees that in the end proves to make your bonsai collection a buffet for rats, mice, voles, squirrels and any other desperate animals looking to survive a bad winter.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Vance Wood 20180215_070446_Burst01.jpg20180215_070738.jpg20180215_070800.jpg20180215_070809.jpg20180215_070819.jpg

I kinda like how it's rather oval except where the tree will go over the rim....
Pretty swell gift from the Kiln Gods!

With a message to my bros with voles!

Sorce

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Death toll still on the rise. One of the 15 or so I have was untouched. Lucky me

Attachments

• 0215181502.jpg
    0215181502.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 0215181503.jpg
    0215181503.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 0215181503a.jpg
    0215181503a.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 55

herzausstahl

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Death toll still on the rise. One of the 15 or so I have was untouched. Lucky me
Don't let them win @Soldano666 !! I'd say follow Sorce & Vance's advice & try what they do. Or if your afraid the cold will be too much go with Jacob's idea above. Build a 2x4 box. Line the the bottom & sides with 1/4" or 1/8" hardware cloth. Then make a screw on lid also covered with cloth. You could always design it in such a way that each side is a panel so in winter you assemble it & then can easily disassemble it in spring & lean each section against the house somewhere. Just a thought. @M. Frary do you think that would work? Think of it this way, it's an excuse to buy more trees & your knowledge of what to do with them is light years ahead of where it was for the others.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
do you think that would work
It would work great. I thought of that exact thing but there were steel roofing sheets readily available to make my enclosure. Which also acts as a wind and sun barrier. Next year I'm actually going to bury those deeper. I caught 2 voles in there a couple weeks ago. They tore up a hawthorn before I knew it. Those voles are no longer with us. I think they burrowed under or maybe there was a small hole they could get through. If I didn't have the enclosure I would have to just give up because if trees around here are left out they get ate by other things along with voles.
It's the only drawback to living in prime overwintering areas. We get the deep snow and cold that lets the V.C. thrive under the snow. I say prime overwintering area because in places like where I live there is no shuffling of trees in spring nor worries they can handle the cold because of snow cover.
It goes to show that you can't have it all.
I know it sucks @Soldano666 but maybe others will learn from our mishaps with V.C. You and I are prime examples they can learn from.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Going to test my fate by leaving trees on the benches next winter. I will also be adding benches in my cold frame. Nothing on the ground ever again. However (knock on wood) they havent touched any of my larch. Only cold hardy trees will be in my collection now. Which is fine with me. Those are the nest imho

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Going to test my fate by leaving trees on the benches next winter. I will also be adding benches in my cold frame. Nothing on the ground ever again. However (knock on wood) they havent touched any of my larch. Only cold hardy trees will be in my collection now. Which is fine with me. Those are the nest imho
I can't leave trees on my benches. It's just too cold. I tried a couple of Siberian elms and a Mugo 3 winters ago to see.
They all died. Granted they saw temps 35 degrees below zero but that zone 2 rating for those trees is ones in the ground.
I have to put mine away.

Top Bottom