All aboard the Mugo train!

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
Actually you did not. You had permission from someone who had no authority to give it and when that individual went to explore further ran into an obligatory crap sandwich from his employer and you got to pay the price for it.
Fortunately, he did not have to nibble on the crap sandwich!

herzausstahl

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Well here I go being contradictory again

I water my trees once a day, every day in the morning. That includes ALL of my pines, every single one (JWP, JBP, Mugo, Scots and Pitch pine).
If we really start to get hot here, I may go to 2x a day (morning and 2-3PM).
Whoever told anyone that pines get watered 2 times a week was an idiot because that will kill any pine that is out in 80+ degree weather.
Most people water JBP at least once a day not 2x a week. Of course this also depends on the soil mix used.
I also use akadama in my mix once I get my trees into smaller training pots. It does not turn to snot here.

My mix for large training pots is pumice, lava and gravel in equal parts.
My mix for smaller training pots is pumice, lava, akadama and gravel in equal parts
My mix for regular bonsai pots is pumice, lava and akadama.

Late reply as I had my brothers wedding last Sunday & still playing catch up. Sandy I actually believe you are reaffirming Vances water schedule. As for the Akadama he's said you need the hard calcined kind to avoid it turning to mush, perhaps that's what you have? As for the lack of organics perhaps we can go with the idea not just one soil mix is the be all, end all as both of yours are growing trees in them. I believe Vance is just a big proponent of the fact you don't have to skip all organics as many would have you believe. Yet he isn't fertilizing with organic cakes as a lot of them are. So my guess is it evens out with both methods adding organic material to the mix.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My other eff rooted pumillo is Also putting roots out the basket.

Frigging dope that one!

Awwwww summer in the outhouse shiiiit!

Hot stank!

Sorce

tree4me

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've been watering daily and have given them a 2nd watering with Miracle Grow. Looks like some buds maybe at the ends but I haven't seen any interior budding yet. Fingers crossed.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Hey Vance,

My friend just loaned me the photo album from Mr. Valavanis' 2016 National Bonsai Exhibition. Your tree is beautiful! Mr. Noga's photos can't be beat.
Thank You. I appreciate the recognition. I also want to think Mr. Valavanis for allowing me to show the tree, my little tree looked kind of lost in an ocean of really large masterpieces. And yes my book did show up.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Pretty sure it's a Scots though the two species have been known to shack up and make babbies. It could be one of those hybrids. Very unique looking tree, the needles seem to be more blade like than needle like, kind of reminds me of Yew foliage on a needle by needle comparison.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've had a couple Mugos and growth and other characteristics seem a little "co-mixed"...needles a little different but kind of similar, tight growth, but not as tight as I've seen on most mugos, that sort of thing...

But it's time for some new soil and container...glorified slip-pot most likely.:eek::eek::eek:;):D:D:D:D:D:D

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
There were some truly spectacular trees there and I don't want anyone thinking I am claiming my tree is better or only slightly on the same level with most of them. This was a world class show.
And that is why you belonged there front and center!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
We're going to be there or at least I am assuming that Mike is still coming I havn'e spoken to him directly in a week or so.
And that is why you belonged there front and center!
Kind words my friend, I hope you will be there as well.

Top Bottom