action plan for a fir

BonsaiBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hi to all,

After taking care of my Chinese elm for three years I have decided to take bonsai more seriously. For my most resent learning project I bought a Abies koreana at a garden center in Germany. Right now it looks like a little Christmas tree. For the direction I want to go it has to be shortened some and has to lose at least 50% of its branches and some serious wiring. I took it from its plastic container to check the roots. They look ok but the soil is like a block of concrete, even difficult to remove with a root hook. So I just let it for now a put it in a same size pond basket.

I would like some advice when to do what. Do some of the structural pruning now and roots in early spring? Just the roots in the spring and let the tree for a whole year? Or what? I would like to move forward of course but without killing it.

By the way. There is almost no frost in the winter here in Holland. I can’t put my trees inside but I do have a patio where it is protected from the wind and it’s close to a glass sliding door. So it should be a bit warmer there.

Thanks

czaczaja

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pond basket definitely a great option. Maybe to avoid too much stress on the tree don't to roots and pruning at the same time. If your winters are mild, it shouldn't matter what you do in what order. Maybe clean it up and check the branches. Wire them while you can before they get too thick. Maybe post some pics so we can help better.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi to all,

After taking care of my Chinese elm for three years I have decided to take bonsai more seriously. For my most resent learning project I bought a Abies koreana at a garden center in Germany. Right now it looks like a little Christmas tree. For the direction I want to go it has to be shortened some and has to lose at least 50% of its branches and some serious wiring. I took it from its plastic container to check the roots. They look ok but the soil is like a block of concrete, even difficult to remove with a root hook. So I just let it for now a put it in a same size pond basket.

I would like some advice when to do what. Do some of the structural pruning now and roots in early spring? Just the roots in the spring and let the tree for a whole year? Or what? I would like to move forward of course but without killing it.

By the way. There is almost no frost in the winter here in Holland. I can’t put my trees inside but I do have a patio where it is protected from the wind and it’s close to a glass sliding door. So it should be a bit warmer there.

Thanks

Wait till early spring to repot and late spring/early summer to prune. If your temperatures don't drop below freezing very often, then you should leave your tree outside in its normal spot, and set it on the ground if you expect temperatures much below -5°C. Without leaves, you won't need to water very often—maybe a couple times per week depending on the amount of wind and sun.

Where I live, winter low temperatures are often below -10°C, and I just keep my temperate trees on the ground with a bit of mulch around the sides of the pots. I know that people in at least the southern parts the UK leave their Chinese elms outside year-round, and your climate would be similar to England and Wales, right?

BonsaiBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I agree with your plan. I figured that if the tree starts growing the roots should be fine. I don’t want to let it any longer than necessary in the current soil. I think I will do the minimum of amount pruning needed early summer so I can see where I want to go with the initial design.

Top Bottom