2018 from seed!

Rip

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I see you have some Rainbow eucalyptus seeds. I am really curious to see how they will turn out. That is one of my top 3 favorite trees of all times. I do not thing there is a bark that is as pretty as that tree! If you get multiple plants to survive please shoot me a message. I would love to purchase one from you!

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
LOL

I thought you posted the wrong photo: I'm waiting for Acer seeds, that's probably why.

Never heard of "Tipuana tipu ou palo rosa ou tipa" before...

Ginkgo biloba:

Scarification + stratification froide à 3°C/5°C pendant 2 à 3 mois ou trempage des graines pendant 48 h dans eau + stratification froide 60 jours et semis en avril-mai à l'extérieur

No problemo to understand/translate from the French?

Haha, yeah I can see the similarity there. It made for a fun time when I was trying to ID the trees last year.
They are a common street tree around here which shows a certain type of Spanish logic as they are almost guaranteed to destroy the pavement around them. I only grabbed the pods as we parked under one of them the other day so no harm in giving them a go.

Cheers for the info for the Gingko, I was also reading about a period of warm stratification too but I guess that could be considered the time it has been laying in the pot.
Also no worries with French for me, my wife is from Grenoble and the kids are half French.

I should be better with the language but just as I was getting used to it we moved to Spain so now I can confuse myself in 3 languages. :D

Maybe @Bonsai Nut could merge this thread with the one I started on the same topic. You were 1st ;)
https://bonsainut.com/threads/from-seed-2018.30833/

Let's hope for 100% germination with this batch :D

Ahh didn't see the other thread, no matter though. Two is better than one or it can be merged, whatever bossman decides.

One seed, no pressure. lol.
I have no idea if it is even a viable pollinated seed but will try it out nevertheless.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I see you have some Rainbow eucalyptus seeds. I am really curious to see how they will turn out. That is one of my top 3 favorite trees of all times. I do not thing there is a bark that is as pretty as that tree! If you get multiple plants to survive please shoot me a message. I would love to purchase one from you!

Well this will be my third attempt at them, one year they were done in by the cold and another a windy patch where I guess they dried out but I do really want to get one into it's second year at least and hopefully beyond. I believe it is possible to grow these here but I am right on the brink so they need some extra care so I will keep on trying.
I'm in Spain though so not overly sure how easy it would be to ship to the US but I guess that can be thought of if I get any survivors.

Just if anybody is interested I know the Rainbow Eucs get a lot of attention because their colours are amazing but this is also a great quality of many Eucalyptus species, even though the colours may not be as vibrant they can certainly be spectacular in their own right and are probably a lot more hardy and easier to grow than the Rainbows.
Some examples below taken from google....

E. pauciflora or the Snow Gum is definitely a good example.
eucalyptus-pauciflora-2.jpg

eucalyptus-snow-gum-ACA_original.jpg

Eucalyptus Coccifera or Tasmanian Snow Gum
9559517941_8ceb649085_b.jpg

1336ae3408d55fbdc924f53424ea9d39.jpg

And there are many others that will exhibit similar colours too after a few years.
Plus you can get some amazing smooth barks like this....

tintinnans2a.jpg

Angophora costata
6a00d83454714d69e20148c7fbf870970c-600wi

And I haven't even started with the Iron and Stringy barks yet either, lol.
Sorry to go off tangent a bit but Eucs are probably my favourite trees and it would be great to see them used more, and they are easily grown from seed, fast growers and definitely interesting.
I think that anyone interested by the Rainbows should check out other varieties too because the Rainbows are very tropical and I have found tricky to keep alive. Most other species are far more forgiving and some even cold hardy to a degree.

JakeH

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
In November I collected about 100 seeds from a red lace-leaf Japanese Maple on my way home, and just popped them in the fridge yesterday. Probably should have gathered more, but I'm hoping for at least a small hodgepodge of maples. Also collected some Japanese Cedar seeds, but I'm not sure if I have enough to get some seedlings. Should be fun nonetheless :D
IMG_9415.jpg

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
28 different species of Acer waiting to be stratified. Some of the bags contain very few seeds (4-5), but hopefully some will germinate:

MapleSociety_2018.jpg
I also have about 150 samarras from Acer p. 'O-sakazuki', and some Acer triflorum and A. p. 'atropurpureum in the fridge.

Will make the mix and put them in plastic bags this weekend.

Sn0W

Shohin
Reaction score
Scotch Pines
Japanese Black Pine
Norway Spruce
Japanese Maple
Chinese Juniper
Chinese Lacebark Elm
Paulownia Elongata
Trident Maple
Zelkova
Paper Birch
Dwarf Pomegranite
Japanese Flowering Quince

Got a lot going on!

DeanoAZ

Yamadori
Reaction score
28 different species of Acer waiting to be stratified. Some of the bags contain very few seeds (4-5), but hopefully some will germinate:

View attachment 173058
I also have about 150 samarras from Acer p. 'O-sakazuki', and some Acer triflorum and A. p. 'atropurpureum in the fridge.

Will make the mix and put them in plastic bags this weekend.
Where do you get so many different maples?

theone420

Shohin
Reaction score
Which ones are those? They look like the southern live oak I have sprouting.

You have this to look forward to also.....
Some of the cork bark I sent you from the same source. They seem to be the fastest growing oak that I have.

20180105_213623.jpg 20180105_213601.jpg 20180105_213833.jpg

And the coast live oak from same source I sent you. This one is a double from one acorn

20180105_213519.jpg 20180105_213430.jpg

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Where do you get so many different maples?

I'm a member of the Maple Society. Each year, there's a "Seed distribution scheme" for the members.

This year, I got 28 different species, last year it was 42 but I didn't stratify them until about 2 months I recieved them and didn't put them in the fridge, so I very few of them stayed viable.

But this year:

25 zip-lock bags with 50% aquarium sand, 50% peat plus a pinch of "Bouillie bordelaise" and a handfull of activated carbon (both against fungus) are now in the fridge. From 6 to over 90 seeds in each bag.

Germination rates vary from one species to another, from what I read from seed providers on the web, some like A. shirasawanum need 2-3 months temperate stratification then 3-4 months cold stratification, and some even take over two years to germinate. But this is just an indication.

I suspect (I hope!) that species that are persistant or semi persistant in their native environment will take less time: I'd love to have Acer fabri or Acer laevigatum for instance ;-)

"Saussages in the fridge". Fingers crossed.

UBC_seeds2018.jpg

DeanoAZ

Yamadori
Reaction score
I'm a member of the Maple Society. Each year, there's a "Seed distribution scheme" for the members.

This year, I got 28 different species, last year it was 42 but I didn't stratify them until about 2 months I recieved them and didn't put them in the fridge, so I very few of them stayed viable.

But this year:

25 zip-lock bags with 50% aquarium sand, 50% peat plus a pinch of "Bouillie bordelaise" and a handfull of activated carbon (both against fungus) are now in the fridge. From 6 to over 90 seeds in each bag.

Germination rates vary from one species to another, from what I read from seed providers on the web, some like A. shirasawanum need 2-3 months temperate stratification then 3-4 months cold stratification, and some even take over two years to germinate. But this is just an indication.

I suspect (I hope!) that species that are persistant or semi persistant in their native environment will take less time: I'd love to have Acer fabri or Acer laevigatum for instance ;-)

"Saussages in the fridge". Fingers crossed.

View attachment 173613
Thanks for the info.

Sn0W

Shohin
Reaction score
My black pine seeds arrived and these are the instructions provided. Was wondering if anyone had tried this method?
20180110_231548.jpg

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Soaking today: Acer ginnala, tsuga occidentalis, ficus benghalensis.

The maple and hemlock will be going in the fridge for 60 days starting tomorrow (ziplock and spaghnum moss... I hope that I don't regret the moss when it comes time to get the seeds out).

The ficus will be planted tomorrow. Right now I'm thinking of just sowing them in a training pot,and transplanting to 3in pots when they have some true leaves.

IMG_20180113_125506.jpg

IMG_20180113_125729.jpg

DeanoAZ

Yamadori
Reaction score
Lets see.....I think I got my JBP seeds into a germination media back when I was in high school (I'm 78 now) and I have a couple of "things" poking up through to the light. That follows up weeks of scarification/stratification. I hope they are not weeds.

Reaction score
I cannot find suppliers that deliver to my location - Bucharest, Romania - but I will probably use a forward my package service.

Top Bottom