2018 from seed!

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Just about time for next years edition I guess, what are you all going to be sowing next year?

This is me being conservative....

I absolutely wont buy any more seed. I literally have thousands left to pick from last year too but this year I am going to make a concentrated effort on getting my survival rates up and not be as overwhelmed as last year.

IMG_20171222_125037716.jpg IMG_20171222_124919154.jpg IMG_20171222_124928492.jpg

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For us 2018 is another step off the road to locate 3 to 5 natives that have
Bonsai as their middle name.

Ended up with 200+ J.B.pines seeds and depending on germination, 5/10 will be selected
the rest given away as gifts.

Actually compacting for 50 / 60 efforts. The new stands reflect the single tree
interest as they are designed at only 35 cm wide.
The placement then allows for sun from east to west / morning to evening.

No new seeds, no new cuttings.
Good Day
Anthony

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
lol, yeah it is a bit but I let myself down with prep last year and toxic seaweed juice so learn from mistakes and all that.
Stocking up on soil and nursery containers over winter so I can actually plant the majority out this time.

theone420

Shohin
Reaction score
Pomegranate
Japanese Persimmon
Baja Fairy Duster (Calliandra Californica)
Coast Live Oak
Southern Live Oak
California Black Oack
Cork Oak
Red Oak
Willow Oak
Water Oak
Jeffery Pine(local wild tree)
JBP,MikawaJBP,Mkawa Kuromatu JBP,JBP,JBP,JBP ahhhhhhhhhh:eek:

............I hope that's it, I doubt it.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Black pine for the contest. full moon maple, princess persimmon and standard j. maple.
I have poor results with deciduous from seed, hopefully this year is different!

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Fairly similar list as theone420.
Pomegranate
Japanese Persimmon
Princess Persimmon
Coast Live Oak
Southern Live Oak
Cork Oak
Willow Oak
JBP

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I have pinus thunbergii for the contest. I also picked up some ficus benghalensis (indian banyan), acer ginnala (amur maple), and tsuga heterophylla (western hemlock).

I'm wavering in my commitment to the non-pinus species. Right now, I don't have enough lights to overwinter a bunch of baby ficuses, and I don't know that I want to purchase more. And I can buy established maple and hemlock nursery stock easily enough. I'll see how I feel closer to spring.

DeanoAZ

Yamadori
Reaction score
Looking for help. Fairly new to this forum, so I'm not sure if this is the right place to start. Doing bonsai for a few years, but want to start growing from seed. I read a lot of internet information on getting seeds to germinate. I think I understand the scarification/stratification steps and planting. I see recommendations for ~70-80 degree for getting the seeds to germinate, but want to know if that is for a 24 hour period or can the temp's go down to normal night time temp's? I have a couple of germinating mats, but am building a sort of seed germinating area under a workbench in my workshop with a space heater. Not sure if I am going to have to keep it on all the time or not. Need advice.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I picked up some JRP and ginkgo seeds when I ordered my JBP for the 6 year contest. That should be enough to keep me busy. I still have my pitch pines that I started a few years ago and a couple of other random seedlings. I'm trying to keep from having too many seedling projects going at once.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
JBP
Trident maple
Olive
Zelcova
Japanese maple
American hornbeam
Bald Cypress
Elm

First year in bonsai, decided I needed some material, hopefully some success

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
D1ABB68A-B555-4B8F-9307-DC0216DEC9E5.jpeg Got these in the crisper waiting for March to start the 60 day stratification.
To mix things up a bit ,I purchased Korean Hornbeam and European Beech seedlings from Bill Valavanis.

Mr.E

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I was walking by a house down the street and their landscape trident maple was over flowing with seeds. Not sure how many I grabbed but I know it was a lot because when I was ripping the wings off I contemplated throwing Half away. I also found some southern and coast live oak acorns from trees with nice bark. Not to mention JPB for the contest.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Collected a few Tipuana Tipuana seeds today. They are the only legume to have winged pods I believe, being a legume I assume an overnight soak is in order. Don't know really but they can be highly invasive so shouldn't be too hard.
Funny tree really, they have blood red sap and are known for their destructive shallow root system.

Also there is my one Gingko seed, not real sure if I need to put it in the fridge now or not.

IMG_20180102_154513246.jpg

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gonna plant some acacia trees (black monkey thorns). I will only get my seeds when i go home in a month though.

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
going to try lots of seeds and start a grow out bed this year in the yard...

seeds:
trident maple
jbp
sergeant crabapple
chinese elm

some of my other containerized plants will be put in the ground too

I'm thinking about starting some of the seeds in trays this month and then putting them under my grown light until the weather warms up to give them a big head start :)

happy 2018!

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Collected a few Tipuana Tipuana seeds today. (...)
Also there is my one Gingko seed, not real sure if I need to put it in the fridge now or not.

LOL

I thought you posted the wrong photo: I'm waiting for Acer seeds, that's probably why.

Never heard of "Tipuana tipu ou palo rosa ou tipa" before...

Ginkgo biloba:

Scarification + stratification froide à 3°C/5°C pendant 2 à 3 mois ou trempage des graines pendant 48 h dans eau + stratification froide 60 jours et semis en avril-mai à l'extérieur

No problemo to understand/translate from the French?

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
going to try lots of seeds and start a grow out bed this year in the yard...

seeds:
trident maple
jbp
sergeant crabapple
chinese elm

some of my other containerized plants will be put in the ground too

I'm thinking about starting some of the seeds in trays this month and then putting them under my grown light until the weather warms up to give them a big head start :)

happy 2018!
That’s a good idea it is my experience with crab apple and Quince‘s and such like that they get attacked by aphids really early on.

Top Bottom