Chinese elm

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
$10 for tree + $20 shipping for central & East coast / $30 for west coast

Tree is probably 3/4” diameter and have many long branches for cutting. I will have to bend them to ship. I just want a coffee and a donut for my time really. I just want a tree that survived multiple hurricanes to live on. If there is no taker I will chop it super short and stick it in the grow bed.
IMG_1326.jpeg
IMG_1327.jpeg

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I vote for low chop and grow bed.

I collected a dozen Chinese elms seedlings last year, probably have 8 now, they're fun.

I actually dug one yesterday about that thickness but ramrod straight, way less foliage.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I vote for low chop and grow bed.

I collected a dozen Chinese elms seedlings last year, probably have 8 now, they're fun.

I actually dug one yesterday about that thickness but ramrod straight, way less foliage.
It appears there is no interest by others. Since the tree has been in a huge high pot, I think there is profuse long roots under. I am going to attempt to create a neagari. Stay tuned :)

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
It is no longer available. As I suspected, there is a massive root system under the tree for it to survive in in huge pot without any watering beside rain for 3 years.
IMG_1404.jpeg

Roots and trunk were wired. Tree was potted in an oversized pot to keep the roots.
IMG_1405.jpegIMG_1406.jpegIMG_1407.jpeg

Roots protected by a t-shirt until they harden. The top will be wired and trained later.
IMG_1408.jpeg

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Awesome root structure... Lots to work with.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Very cool!, I’ll be following your progress!
Better already with the top cut off.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Base of tree is now 10” above soil line and roots protected with my old t-shirt. Plan is to move soil line down another 3-4 inches later. The trunk will be drastically changed once the roots get healthy.
IMG_1411.jpeg
IMG_1412.jpeg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
@bonsainut
Can you move this thread to the Elm forum? I would like to continue with this tree there.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I had to make two large wedge cuts to bend the trunk. That top may not survive this bend. I may have to rebuild the trunk.

Top Bottom