Chinese elm bark turning brown

Kevtan650

Seed
Reaction score
Hi all
I have this “Chinese Elm” squeezing on the rock and branches are drying out and I see brown bark here and there on the tree, what should I do?

Attachments

• IMG_4366.jpeg
    IMG_4366.jpeg
    306.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_4361.jpeg
    IMG_4361.jpeg
    241.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4357.jpeg
    IMG_4357.jpeg
    213.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_4358.jpeg
    IMG_4358.jpeg
    308.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4356.jpeg
    IMG_4356.jpeg
    213.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4363.jpeg
    IMG_4363.jpeg
    271 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4362.jpeg
    IMG_4362.jpeg
    287.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4364.jpeg
    IMG_4364.jpeg
    273.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4365.jpeg
    IMG_4365.jpeg
    282.9 KB · Views: 53

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The areas of brown spots are lenticels, specialized tissue that allow gas exchange between the atmosphere and the interior of the tree.

Kevtan650

Seed
Reaction score
The areas of brown spots are lenticels, specialized tissue that allow gas exchange between the atmosphere and the interior of the tree.
Is it normal process on Chinese elm tree?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It looks pretty normal to me. It COULD be there are a few sunspots, but I do not think so.

I would focus my attention on a goor pruning session though. Else you run the risk of loosing the low branches.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Agree that it is natural for this sort of Chinese elm bark to change colour at certain times of the year. The older, outside layers of bark die and change colour then peel off in patches leaving new bark in oranges and grey colours. It's one of the features of this form of Chinese elm.
Some dead branches are to be expected on Chinese elm. It will usually be lower and inner branches which don't get enough sun. The tree doesn't waste energy on branches that don't produce food because they are too shaded so they die.
Looks like this tree has been allowed to grow as much as it can with little or no pruning. You may be able to reduce dying branches by pruning the longer branches more to allow more light into those lower and inner branches.
Chinese elm respond very well to pruning so you can chop all long branches way back to bare wood if necessary. It will make lots of new buds on the remaining bare sections and keep growing.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree that the top of this tree is in desperate need of a very hard pruning. You're losing branches because the top growth is shading them out. I'd reduce all of those branches by at least half, probably more. The tree looks pretty healthy and will likely respond with heavy backbudding on what's left.

Chinese elm is sold as "lacebark" elm at nurseries because of the exfoliating bark. As the tissue underneath the exterior bark grows and expands, the outer portion (which is dead and is no longer useful in circulating nutrients) is sloughed off. The patchy character of that shedding gives the name lacebark, as it produces a multi-colored surface. The process is like painting a balloon, when the balloon (tree) expands with more volume, the paint cracks and peels off.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Is it normal process on Chinese elm tree?

Yes. Some cultivars flake more, some flake less. It is one of the characteristics of the species. I just snapped this photo of one of the trees in my nursery. On older trees the bark displays a puzzle-piece pattern.

On your tree I believe some of the marks to be minor scarring from when they wired the tree to the stone.

elm-flake.jpg

Kevtan650

Seed
Reaction score
This is the top of the tree, I see lots of new grow

Attachments

• IMG_4360.jpeg
    IMG_4360.jpeg
    367.5 KB · Views: 15

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is the top of the tree, I see lots of new grow
yes, as mentioned, you need to really brune this back so it can be a bonsai, rather than turn into a shrub without any lower or inner branches.

Top Bottom