Chinese Elm keeps shedding leaves

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Taken the plunge and change the soil. Took the plant out and the root system seems pretty anaemic. Cleaned it up and cut off some obvious dead roots. Repotted into the original pot secured with wires. Watered it with rainwater and moved it outside. Is there anything else I should do?

I did not trim any branches. Should I?
It doesn’t appear to have enough foliage to matter at this point. These are very vigorous plants so you may get lucky. I had an air layer a couple of years ago that I managed to break off a major root and it didn’t have much to start with. However it is a healthy little tree now and didn’t skip a beat. I started with one Chinese elm and now have 5 as a result of air layers and cuttings. Hopefully you used a well draining bonsai soil with a bit of organic matter tossed in?

terence8888

Seedling
Reaction score

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hi @terence8888

Since you used soil containing a lot of organic material, make sure to water only when it's starting to dry out. The tree should be much happier now that it's outdoors. Hopefully you post another pic once the next bunch of leaves come out. :)

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If I were in England I’d go with #2 or #3 unless you are in a rain shadow. As Wulfskarr said watch the soil moisture if its outside in the rain.

Top Bottom