Anything to worry about? Curling new growth. Chinese Elm

bennybonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-9
Hi there. All new growth on this elm seams to be curling. We've had some Coltishall weather lately temps getting around 4 degrees at night. Not sure what else could be. Does new growth sometimes come out like this?

Attachments

• 20240422_083630.jpg
    20240422_083630.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 20240422_083617.jpg
    20240422_083617.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 20240422_083610.jpg
    20240422_083610.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 38

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I can make out a few leaves that are curled down a little but there only seems to be a few of them.
We sometimes see spiders curling leaves.
Zinc deficiency cause new leaves to roll downward but you'd also see yellow between the leaf veins and they all look healthy green so unlikely to be nutrient deficiency.
I'm not aware of any real problem pests or diseases that make leaves curl.
Check to see if there are any bugs hiding under the rolled leaves.
Otherwise just keep an eye out to see if the curled leaves straighten out or in case you start to get more.

bennybonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-9
I can make out a few leaves that are curled down a little but there only seems to be a few of them.
We sometimes see spiders curling leaves.
Zinc deficiency cause new leaves to roll downward but you'd also see yellow between the leaf veins and they all look healthy green so unlikely to be nutrient deficiency.
I'm not aware of any real problem pests or diseases that make leaves curl.
Check to see if there are any bugs hiding under the rolled leaves.
Otherwise just keep an eye out to see if the curled leaves straighten out or in case you start to get more.
Okay 👍

I noticed a small spider on the tree this morning but I didn't think spiders were harmful so left it. Do you think I should remove it?

Thanks Shibui

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Nothing too unusual there. I see a little bit of damage at the edges of a couple of the older leaves, but I don't see anything I would particularly worry about.
We've had cold weather the last week or so (I'm close to you), which might be slowing down the new leaf development a bit.
Spiders are no problem.

bennybonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-9
Nothing too unusual there. I see a little bit of damage at the edges of a couple of the older leaves, but I don't see anything I would particularly worry about.
We've had cold weather the last week or so (I'm close to you), which might be slowing down the new leaf development a bit.
Spiders are no problem.
Awesome.

Thanks Tom. Yes we did have a little warm sunny spell before the cold too so I think you're right.

Cheers.

Top Bottom