What did you do today? Show us Pic Required

Fell in love with Dogwood Kousa

View attachment 543711
View attachment 543712

The overall structure, flowering pattern, color harmony, all of it is pleasing to the eye and I need one in my life.

View attachment 543713
View attachment 543714
View attachment 543715

“It will be mine. Oh, yes. It will be mine.”
The structure on these is always so good. I say they look like a really nice layered haircut (but then I'm bald, so, really, haircut jealousy).

I don't know about internode length on Kousa, but it's a big problem with Cornus florida making into a bonsai. I have 2 of those as yardadori and will be attempting defoliation this summer in an effort to manage nodes.

Today I decided to produce a chamaecyparis forest over slab. I will be building it in the next days....

IMG20240501185205.jpg IMG20240501185828.jpg IMG20240501185627.jpg

Also, when the trees are perfectly located, I will prune (about 40% of that foliage), and add lava stones, driftwood and moss. Those saplings are cuttings I took from their mother tree 2 years ago:

IMG_20211114_112126.jpg

and this is the mother right now:

IMG20240426200634.jpg

Whenever it is assembled I will post a thread in the forest forum to explain the process and final result.

DSC_1503.JPG

DSC_1502.JPG
Today I went pot shopping online. Many hours later I prepped a pot I already have on the left. Right is identical mica pot already in use.
Hate being ill prepared this time of year, but pots are one thing I've never had enough of.
Didn't want this big a pot as I was hoping to barely step down in size rather than barely up.

I found some more dirt cheap 3 gallon Acer's today, I know one is shin deshojo, the other two I don't know because they weren't labeled. Maybe you lovely people could help identify them. There really should be an app of some kindIMG_20240501_174452.jpgIMG_20240501_174610.jpgIMG_20240501_174703.jpg
$28.75 each tax in (USD converted)

Last edited:
I wasn’t happy with my cutting setup from yesterday. I redid them in new, taller boxes with deeper substrate. Nishiki gawa, deshojo, Beni maiko, sangu kaku and corallinum. Hoping I get something out of this this season. IMG_2274.jpegIMG_2275.jpegIMG_2276.jpeg

I wasn’t happy with my cutting setup from yesterday. I redid them in new, taller boxes with deeper substrate. Nishiki gawa, deshojo, Beni maiko, sangu kaku and corallinum. Hoping I get something out of this this season.
I saw a really good setup using tubs like that but they put the substrate in clear plastic cups with holes drilled in them and they kept about a half inch of standing water at the bottom of the tub so the cups could wick up water as needed

Today I decided to produce a chamaecyparis forest over slab. I will be building it in the next days....

View attachment 543723 View attachment 543724 View attachment 543725

Also, when the trees are perfectly located, I will prune (about 40% of that foliage), and add lava stones, driftwood and moss. Those saplings are cuttings I took from their mother tree 2 years ago:

View attachment 543726

and this is the mother right now:

View attachment 543727

Whenever it is assembled I will post a thread in the forest forum to explain the process and final result.
This might be a dumb idea, but....

Maybe you could do a photo shoot one night... put a tiny tent in there and a flickering LED campfire that lights up the surrounding trees. Might make for a cool pic.

Okay, when's the last time you saw one of these!?
Had to call AAA on this one. It's been a rough day. LoL
Almost everyone on this mountain has done this at least once. Today was my turn. If you zoom it up you can see the hog wire fence that kept us from going all the way over and into the creek. Soft shoulder after a lot of rain! No damage to persons or vehicle.

Okay, when's the last time you saw one of these!?
It’s been about 5 years.

While coming off the flats following a solo trek out to our oyster farm, my wife decided to be the courteous one and moved to the (very soft) shoulder to allow a group of beach-going youngsters the room to pass. Needless to say she was too generous in giving up her piece of the road. She felt too embarrassed to call me for help so, like in your situation, Triple “A” was recruited for the task.

Back
Top Bottom