Did more bending on juniper today

Paulkellum

Mame
Reaction score
Here is my none tradition cascade juniper. Still got a ways to go but love crazy trunk line I was able to get.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 312
Looks like a pretty decent sized trunk too. I like the start to this! How many stages did you do this in?

I really like this tree! Seems the only things left to do are to lower the entire top/apex and pull some branches in front of the main cascade branch so it breaks up the descending trunk line.

Rob

I really like this tree! Seems the only things left to do are to lower the entire top/apex and pull some branches in front of the main cascade branch so it breaks up the descending trunk line.

Rob

I know apex is high put need some new growth so I don't remove to much. Already reduced entire tree to let light in and get back budding for apex. Once I take wire off I'm hoping get back budding on right side main trunk to break up trunk line and balance out. Right now all the branches are on left side main trunk.

Here is it when I started.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 243
I know apex is high put need some new growth so I don't remove to much. Already reduced entire tree to let light in and get back budding for apex. Once I take wire off I'm hoping get back budding on right side main trunk to break up trunk line and balance out. Right now all the branches are on left side main trunk.

Here is it when I started.

You did a really nice job on this tree. As far as back budding, in my opinion, I would have a back up plan. Not that you won't get back budding, you probably will. However, it will be many years before those buds become adequate and proportionate branches. Also, they may not be where you want. If it were my tree, I would evaluate if one branch can be swung over to the other side, then let it ramify to fill in the area. Actually, you might not have to swing a branch over, but let one of those pads greatly ramify and sort of grow to fill in the other side. Eventually, all you will really need is one pad to look like it is on the other side. Even if it is not growing from that side directly. In any case, there is plenty of time to evaluate things as the tree rests over the next year.:D

Rob

You did a really nice job on this tree. As far as back budding, in my opinion, I would have a back up plan. Not that you won't get back budding, you probably will. However, it will be many years before those buds become adequate and proportionate branches. Also, they may not be where you want. If it were my tree, I would evaluate if one branch can be swung over to the other side, then let it ramify to fill in the area. Actually, you might not have to swing a branch over, but let one of those pads greatly ramify and sort of grow to fill in the other side. Eventually, all you will really need is one pad to look like it is on the other side. Even if it is not growing from that side directly. In any case, there is plenty of time to evaluate things as the tree rests over the next year.:D

Rob

You think I should pull the apex down as is and work it from there or reduce and grow new one

You think I should pull the apex down as is and work it from there or reduce and grow new one

The short answer is yes, the apex should be pulled down. However, I probably should mention some things. Depending on the tree, you could pull the whole apex down and forward. This means taking the vertical branch that the apex is coming from and pulling it down/forward. If need be, then curve it slightly back up. The goal is to get the to sit on the of the top of the rest of the tree. Now, another method, once again depending on the needs of the tree, would be to wire apart the apex. Wire the interior side branches of the apex down. Also, you will need to somehow wire a pad right underneath the apex. It can be a branch from either the current apex or maybe that other main branch below it on the right. This pad underneath the apex is very important. Trees tend to look very awkward when they have this long neck look and empty space underneath the apex. It is not pleasing to have a visible long neck vertical branch then an apex that sits on top of it.

Personally, I would go with fine wiring out the apex and creating a nice structure. Then re-evaluate again. From that point, if you need to reduce the silhouette of the apex or pull something down, you can. Initial structure is always most important. Also, make sure that you take into consideration wiring and bending, before you do any cutting. These things shorten branches. Here is a virt of the side apex branches wired down.

Attachments

• image - Copy.jpg
    image - Copy.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom