What did you do today? Show us Pic Required

Nice work, my man.
Thanxya! Started out this morning, and created a new partially jinned branch on the right.
DSC_1434.JPG
Bad angle. There's more movement to the trunk than this. See last 2 pics

DSC_1436.JPG

DSC_1435.JPG

DSC_1437.JPG
Still have to use sandpaper on the jins and lime sulphur. This too began from a 1 gallon nursery can.

I spent the whole day dealing with pests!
First I had a tree missing! The pot was left behind
20240427_092257.jpg
Oh what is in my Thuja?
20240427_092308.jpg
The remnants of my mulberry 🤬
20240427_092333.jpg

City squirrels are the worst. They get fat on pizza and old burritos which means they have time in their day for mischief.
As my dad would say, "Nothing beats a fail like a try." And it is pretty lucky I just got a new pack of x-acto blades. So we'll see how this goes.
20240429_190912.jpg 20240429_190923.jpg

I also had to [ask my girlfriend to] move a few trees into shade or protection so I could spray them.

The juniper we dug out of the front yard came with scale. Moved to shade and treated with Orthene 97 acephate.
20240429_190134.jpg
My limber pine bunjin also has scale on the new growth. I couldn't figure out why it looked so weird. Moved into the shed and treated with Orthene 97 acephate.
20240429_190207.jpg

And my barberry has mealybugs. Moved to the shed. Treated with Orthene.
20240429_190236.jpg

Tomorrow I'm hoping to have a little more energy to get out the rubbing alcohol and clean off as many bugs as possible. Ideally you'd do that before treating with a systemic, but I'm still struggling with fatigue.

I spent the whole day dealing with pests!
First I had a tree missing! The pot was left behind
View attachment 543405
Oh what is in my Thuja?
View attachment 543406
The remnants of my mulberry 🤬
View attachment 543407

City squirrels are the worst. They get fat on pizza and old burritos which means they have time in their day for mischief.
As my dad would say, "Nothing beats a fail like a try." And it is pretty lucky I just got a new pack of x-acto blades. So we'll see how this goes.
View attachment 543408 View attachment 543409

I also had to [ask my girlfriend to] move a few trees into shade or protection so I could spray them.

The juniper we dug out of the front yard came with scale. Moved to shade and treated with Orthene 97 acephate.
View attachment 543414
My limber pine bunjin also has scale on the new growth. I couldn't figure out why it looked so weird. Moved into the shed and treated with Orthene 97 acephate.
View attachment 543415

And my barberry has mealybugs. Moved to the shed. Treated with Orthene.
View attachment 543416

Tomorrow I'm hoping to have a little more energy to get out the rubbing alcohol and clean off as many bugs as possible. Ideally you'd do that before treating with a systemic, but I'm still struggling with fatigue.
I have been using this with some success for all types of squirrels...

1714510675449.png

I just srpay it on the base of the tree and they leave it alone.... so far...

Today I ditched the long lived mica pot for a little smaller much heavier pot.
This is my longest running bonsai
I've had it since about 1998. A large apical jin is in the near future for this procumbens.
View attachment 543500
Apical Jin is a very nice idea 🎯 Will the overall shape be triangular still and wider at the bottom portion? Am curious to see more trunk line. Circular/oval pot looks really good and am assuming a slender trunk line? 👍

Edit: added pic for rules

Attachments

• IMG_5414.jpeg
    IMG_5414.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 16
Apical Jin is a very nice idea 🎯 Will the overall shape be triangular still and wider at the bottom portion? Am curious to see more trunk line. Circular/oval pot looks really good and am assuming a slender trunk line? 👍

Edit: added pic for rules
Thanx I go out of my way to bring my trees to full health the year prior to a planned repot or reduction.
So they will look like they need detailing because they do :)
"Just do it! Your tree is more than ready"
I let my trees rest after such an incursion to gain vigour back prior to another insult.
This gives more foliage to collect energy from the Sun.

I do not thin or cut back on my procumbens prior to Summer for the most part, usually July.

I am a big fan of pots with a rim rather than a vertical edge. Gives me handles.
The slender trunk is as it looks, slender. 25 + years in a pot does not allow nana to gain girth.

DSC_1493.JPG

DSC_1495.JPG
Today I also reduced multiple candles down to 2 on this JWP and Scotts pine.

I wasn’t planning on doing cuttings tonight, ended up trimming back my nishiki gawa tonight to help get more light into the canopy.
View attachment 543548
View attachment 543550View attachment 543551
So I haven't had much luck with cuttings myself so just wondering are those large enough to strike? I like The humidity lid setup. I have tried plastic bag but a pain to remove to keep moist. Your setup looks like would work well.

So I haven't had much luck with cuttings myself so just wondering are those large enough to strike? I like The humidity lid setup. I have tried plastic bag but a pain to remove to keep moist. Your setup looks like would work well.
We will see, I wish I had a taller dome but it is what it is. I’m like 1 in 10 on JM cuttings so I’m interested to see how these go myself.

We will see, I wish I had a taller dome but it is what it is. I’m like 1 in 10 on JM cuttings so I’m interested to see how these go myself.
I had a huge jump in success when I set up a misting system. Standard hose timer set on 4 or 6 hour increments for maybe 5 minutes. The past 2 years I used a saw horse covered with a piece of plastic, moving to a larger more permanent set up this year, almost finished, just need some more misting nozzles
20240428_144730.jpg20240428_144817.jpg

I had a huge jump in success when I set up a misting system. Standard hose timer set on 4 or 6 hour increments for maybe 5 minutes. The past 2 years I used a saw horse covered with a piece of plastic, moving to a larger more permanent set up this year, almost finished, just need some more misting nozzles
View attachment 543565View attachment 543566
Hot damn that’s a pretty sweet setup. Next year when I remodel the second half of my nursery area I would like to include a setup like that. I may have to pick your brain when the time comes.

Had a great day! Hung out while Mauro Stemberger worked some yamadori today, then went out and had an amazing dinner at a local Honduran restaurant.
View attachment 543560
View attachment 543563View attachment 543562
That's really cool, a workshop with Mauro would be amazing. Mauro seems like such a top dude, and puts in a ton of airmiles when some pros are maybe travelling less frequently for various reasons.

Photo tax: new tree day! (Actually couple of days ago) Korean Hornbeam material that I can't wait to start work on. Need to clean up a few wounds and figure out the future branching. It is only just budding out because its been in the container from JP, a few weeks behind regular deciduous here.

IMG_20240428_182143.jpg

Back
Top Bottom