You did not grow that trunk!

Weta

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Some fine Kiwi humour.
Ahh remember games of skill before the Wallet Warrior entitlement.
Soo did ya fill ya car up ready to pick up that tree 😉

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Some fine Kiwi humour.
Ahh remember games of skill before the Wallet Warrior entitlement.
Soo did ya fill ya car up ready to pick up that tree 😉
Yeah go get that tree. We all can’t be @BobbyLane and find fantastic trees like that for $300 at the nurseries. :D

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Some ppl don’t have 20-40 years to spare. And I find just as much enjoyment viewing and working on a purchased tree vs one I grew from seed or a small cutting as long as it is healthy and suits the style/look I’m going for. I just enjoy trees, doesn’t matter if I, someone else, or Mother Nature grew it.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I get it can relate it to my dragbike racing days. I designed and built everything myself because you couldn't buy that stuff back then and what you could buy I couldn't afford.
Then the aftermarket companies made it all available to anyone w/cash. People w/no skills showed up with "catalog bikes" with the best of everything.

My VW rail buggy was high maintenance and you needed skills to drive and maintain it. But pretty cheap fun. Then comes the SXS side by sides w/awd All you need is 30k and you can go anywhere. I call those handicap vehicles as they make trails and hills accessible to anyone w/cash. When they break you wait for months for the shop to fix it for you at $120hr labor rate.

Credit card riders and racers. Maybe I'm just jealous but they don't get much respect from me when I was fixing my broke junk in the woods to get home.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I don't have a problem with buying good bonsai. My problem is with the people that have a mere passing fancy of bonsai and will drop 6 figures on a tree and professional styling to win a trophy at a big bonsai show. Personally, I like the process of taking something that to others may be a basket case and then making something interesting out of it. Not perfect, not in keeping with the rules, not state of the art artistic perfection..............interesting.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don't have a problem with buying good bonsai. My problem is with the people that have a mere passing fancy of bonsai and will drop 6 figures on a tree and professional styling to win a trophy at a big bonsai show. Personally, I like the process of taking something that to others may be a basket case and then making something interesting out of it. Not perfect, not in keeping with the rules, not state of the art artistic perfection..............interesting.
I do like a good bones to build on...but just can be said I can see potential in an ugly duckling. We all know...or most do. I've bought some dang ugly material over the years. 🤣🤣🙃

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My main issue starts to be mediocre trees are expensive and they will never be great, something that can be great will be very very expensive. So I’d rather stick with what I grow myself from seed, nursery stock or garden collected and an occasional collected tree.

Probably I am simply not rich enough.

Top Bottom