Wiring Question - Did I doom these branches?

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I’m still fairly new to wiring, even more so with using copper wire. I just did my first major wiring job on a shimpaku juniper I’ve had for a bit.

Are these branches doomed? What can I do in the future to avoid this happening?
9174FAC6-65EF-4DAA-99EA-90B715260BE1.jpeg540D041A-5236-4069-8749-BE070BBA657F.jpeg1F881D9E-F56A-4F7B-81FD-DF34C075AF51.jpeg

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good you are practicing hanging wire. Practice and study is the only way to get better.

Not to feel too bad, this is a fairly common mistake, esp when laying heavier wire on junipers and bending right at tree junctions, radically forcing larger sub branches out and away from each other. I’ve made this mistake myself, particularly when working in tight spots and bending aggressively without carefully studying the layout. 😉

The easy answer is likely not if the branches are bent back together right off. Even have slipped zip ties over the junction similar to #3 after rejoining split to ensure junction is closed. Works. Needs about a year to seal… or more depending on tree growth.

Junipers are tough and the sub branches may survive if not bent back together , but likely structurally integrity will be compromised for one or both branches. If not dead, when removing the wire the most affected sub branch, even if not dead, may break the .

Good Luck!

Cheers
DSD sends

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
If the tear isn’t greater than 50% of the diameter of the branch, it’ll probably be fine. Moving it back to close the year will help, as will applying some cut paste. As DSD said above, it’s a common mistake to make. The trick moving forward is to envision where you’re moving/bending the branch before applying the wire, then applying the wire to facilitate the bending safely… easier said then done!

czaczaja

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Should be fine judging by the size of the tears and especially that the foliage is still present on branches to help healing. Not sure about aesthetics down the line. I've had a juniper with a broken apex this summer and it healed well but formed a nasty looking bulge..

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
One of the reasons your branches tore at the crotch is because you placed wire too far down the crotch. You support the crotch (THE weak spot on junipers) better when you place the wire further onto the shoulders (legs?) of the crotch. It doesn’t look like much but if I’d placed this wire further down the trunk the crotch would’ve split.

When they split, seal it. Depending on the situation you may want to put a toothpick or something in the crack (to force the angle and solidify what is cracked) or you may want to adjust the branches so that the crack closes back together. In either case I’d suggest puttying over/around the crack.

Attachments

• 02C29381-3385-4D00-AA99-257E2DF305BB.jpeg
    02C29381-3385-4D00-AA99-257E2DF305BB.jpeg
    213.3 KB · Views: 38

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
From the pictures it would appear the wiring is not properly anchored prior to the figure three used for the two branches in the crotch sections. This will contribute to the type of breakage shown as the branches easily move independently rather than as a unit.
Not certain if that is the case but I do not see a third similar diameter or heavier wire on either side of the figure 3 wiring pattern. Figure 3 is the common term used for the loop over or under at the beginning of the crotch. The picture above clearly ( post #6) shows the application of a figure three wiring pattern without a proper anchor coming from below the crotch.

Reactions: n8
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I had a similar issue when I was wiring one year. I actually saved a branch with two toothpicks and ducktape. It was basically a splint holding things together. I left the tape on for about a year. Used a knife to cut it off and the branch never died or browned.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The other trick you can use to prevent similar occurrences during bending is positioning your hands prior to the bend. Secure the joint with a thumb and forefinger and then bend in areas that have wire on the outside of the bend with the other thumb and forefinger.
If it happens and it does to all of us. Secure tightly, use some liquid cut past and wait. Most of the time it heals just fine over time. My favourite method for securing tightly is electrical zip ties.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
From the pictures it would appear the wiring is not properly anchored prior to the figure three used for the two branches in the crotch sections. This will contribute to the type of breakage shown as the branches easily move independently rather than as a unit.
Not certain if that is the case but I do not see a third similar diameter or heavier wire on either side of the figure 3 wiring pattern. Figure 3 is the common term used for the loop over or under at the beginning of the crotch. The picture above clearly ( post #6) shows the application of a figure three wiring pattern without a proper anchor coming from below the crotch.
Figure 3 LITERALLY is depicted the way I showed it above.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-11-11 at 10.35.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-11-11 at 10.35.44 AM.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 30

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Figure 3 LITERALLY is depicted the way I showed it above.
Exactly, without any additional anchor to secure that portion of the wiring. Figure three by itself is only effective with small weak branching that requires very little bending. I believe that is the point I was trying to make. Without the anchor from further back in the branch it is less effective and will not provide protection for the crotch. The anchor would come from wire securing the branch prior to the bifurcation, a minimum of 1 1/2 turns extending on one side of the bifurcation. As illustrated in the attached picture that illustrates the continuation of using figure three to secure branches. generally speaking the wire from the previous branch is a bit thicker in diameter and provides a good anchor for the next piece of wire used for the next figure three that wires together two branches. My comment was that if the anchor was missing it would contribute to the issue experienced. Hope that helps if my comment was misunderstood. When figure three is properly anchored it is obvious from one side showing two wires for a distance. One is usually thicker than the other and extends from the thicker portion of the branch closer to the trunk.336271818_1254987105109709_1956413834129285056_n.jpg

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does anyone know what happened to the wiring video lesson that was on Instructables.com? I went looking for it recently and couldn't find it. It was a good resource to teach the basics of wiring.

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I should have stated that pic 3 was not wire related but just me being dumb and trying to visualize and moved those branches with my hands and it tore. I’ll raffia that portion. I’ll try and keep that wrap tighter at the crotch, which I think was my biggest issue. The other issue was knowing which direction things were going to end up and wrapping clockwise/counter-clockwise in accordance with the direction the branch ended up needing to go. This was just an initial wiring job on this juniper. I gotta say, I have REALLY started enjoying wiring though. I only have a few trees that require a lot of heavy wiring, so it’s nice to get some practice with copper.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions!

Top Bottom