Yellow Leaves

Tmacanally

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
IMG_1669.jpegI’m new here… in fact I’m not sure that I’m posting correctly. Anyways… I bought this about a week ago. The nursery had it in a greenhouse at the time of purchase. I have since brought it home and have felt obligated to keep it indoors since it was in a greenhouse. I bought a grow light to give it at least SOME light and have watered it twice since last Monday. Now this with the leaves. I don’t know if I need to react… or is the tree adjusting to a new environment?IMG_1670.jpegIMG_1670.jpeg

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
There are grow lights that can keep this healthy until you can get it outside. I have grown a Chinese elm indoors throughout the winter with the HLG lights. But they are expensive specially if you just want to use them to keep a tree alive for a couple months. Not all “grow lights” can give this the energy it needs. I don’t think it dropping the old leaves is a major concern as it is growing new shoots currently. It’s using the energy it has. Hopefully the lights you have can sustain it until you can get it outside. I’ve had elms hold there leaves throughout winter and drop them in spring when it starts growing new shoots. Similar to what you are seeing. But I don’t think that would happen in Ohio due to how cold it is.

It is actively growing and you probably only have a couple more months until spring. Hopefully this is a good learning experience for you.

At the end of the day I have no idea why the nursery has elms in it’s greenhouse. Waste of space it seems.

Tmacanally

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
There are grow lights that can keep this healthy until you can get it outside. I have grown a Chinese elm indoors throughout the winter with the HLG lights. But they are expensive specially if you just want to use them to keep a tree alive for a couple months. Not all “grow lights” can give this the energy it needs. I don’t think it dropping the old leaves is a major concern as it is growing new shoots currently. It’s using the energy it has. Hopefully the lights you have can sustain it until you can get it outside. I’ve had elms hold there leaves throughout winter and drop them in spring when it starts growing new shoots. Similar to what you are seeing. But I don’t think that would happen in Ohio due to how cold it is.

It is actively growing and you probably only have a couple more months until spring. Hopefully this is a good learning experience for you.

At the end of the day I have no idea why the nursery has elms in it’s greenhouse. Waste of space it seems.
Thank you so much for the reply. Am I right in thinking that it needs to remain inside until Spring? Temps are fairly mild… maybe 25f-28f at night mid 30s to mid 40s during the day. I was told it was a South China import and that he didn’t quite trust it in these temps. In fairness… with wind… it was sub zero a few weeks ago.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Is the nursery local? Maybe they can keep it in the greenhouse for you until spring.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
This is likely just the old leaves falling as the new ones start to grow. Chinese elm is nominally deciduous though they typically don't drop the leaves until spring in warmer conditions so this behaviour is likely normal for Chinese elm kept warm through winter.
Just make sure the soil is not staying wet all the time. Soggy soil can cause root rot which may also cause leaves to drop. Pot should not sit in water in the drip tray. Soil allowed to get almost dry (not just surface soil. Need to check deeper down) before watering again.

Top Bottom