Where to get Ficus Nerifolia in Europe?

Bon Sai

Mame
Reaction score
Catalonia (Mediterranean South-western Europe)
USDA Zone
9a
Interesting species the Ficus nerifolia. I've been researching a little on the internet...

The wikipedia article has this picture.
Ficus_neriifolia_bonsai.jpg

I don't like this kind of fat trunk. The Cloud is not like this, and a question comes to my mind: is it something genetic or is it caused by the way it's been taken care of?

bonsan

Sapling
Reaction score
Interesting species the Ficus nerifolia. I've been researching a little on the internet...

The wikipedia article has this picture.
Ficus_neriifolia_bonsai.jpg

I don't like this kind of fat trunk. The Cloud is not like this, and a question comes to my mind: is it something genetic or is it caused by the way it's been taken care of?

They must have been going for that fancy ginseng look :D.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Copy/Paste from http://ofbonsai.org/techniques/shohin/the-willow-leaf-ficus-–-the-best-ficus-for-shohin-bonsai
"Ficus salicaria was first started as a bonsai by the late Joe Samuels, of Miami, Florida in the early 1970’s. Joe found the plant at that South Florida nursery and over several years convinced the owner to sell the only sample to him.
Joe developed the famous “Cloud” banyan-style bonsai from it. Since cuttings readily root soon many Florida bonsai nurseries and growers developed specimens and started selling them.
There is one common variation in the bonsai trade that is due to some unusual genetic mutation – Ficus 89. This mutation occurred at Jim Smith’s nursery in Vero Beach, Florida, during a freeze in 1989.
The trees appeared to die from the cold, but certain specimens eventually budded again, however the leaves on these changed and returned larger and longer. Jim called them “Ficus 89.”

These Ficus 89 are not ideal for shohin bonsai due to the larger leaf size. While the Ficus 89 will respond to leaf reduction techniques, the smaller leaf variety responds just as well and starts from a smaller leaf, hence better for shohin."
Would there someone willing to participate in a project where willow leaf ficuses of reputable heritage would be shared /spread?
Something along the lines of sending rooted cuttings of willow leaf ficus in normal envelopes. Could that work?
We would have a few months time to figure things out until the temperature is right again for shipping.
My tree is a Ficus salicaria '89.
It is still too small of a tree (has also lost branches) but as soon as there will be branches to be pruned and use them as cuttings, then by all means I will participate.
I have received mine from Florida into a document tube which was posted on May 31 and arrived to my hands on June 15.
The bare-rooted plant and two root cuttings were received in good condition.

Reaction score
My tree is a Ficus salicaria '89.
It is still too small of a tree (has also lost branches) but as soon as there will be branches to be pruned and use them as cuttings, then by all means I will participate.
I have received mine from Florida into a document tube which was posted on May 31 and arrived to my hands on June 15.
The bare-rooted plant and two root cuttings were received in good condition.

Also looking for one... Not at all easy to find in Europe.

I am interesting in getting a cutting if or when possible...

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
... ...I am interesting in getting a cutting if or when possible...
By all means, whenever comes a time I will have to prune it :p
Have you tried ebay?
A bonsai friend here in Greece has lately bought one on ebay.

Reaction score
Looked into several ebays in Europe. Found 2 already bonsai ed and expensive for my wallet :(

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I see... Transport cost to Azores shall be high, too.

You might also consider contacting BNut members who are growing big salicifolias and ask them if they could send to you.

Reaction score
I see... Transport cost to Azores shall be high, too.

You might also consider contacting BNut members who are growing big salicifolias and ask them if they could send to you.
A cutting? sent by post? It would cost me 2,60€ to send to Greece. How much more could it be the other way around from Greece to Portugal (Azores)?

BNuts in the USA is risky... it may be stopped in the customs.

Pads

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Mine has already started growing for the season. No surprise with the mild weather during the last few weeks.

They are surprisingly hardy. I actually have 2 mail order plants now. I ordered the first one and thought it got lost in customs and ordered a second one.

The first appeared 1.5 half months later at my door with no leaves and dry as bone. I left it all winter on a heat mat in good soil and now it is thriving.

The second one arrived in a week from the US! Customs in Greece are not very predictable.

I will probably have some cutting by the end of the summer.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Jeez, you think he would be impressed if the so called 'first willow leaf in the UK' got shipped to Spain. lol

Can anyone identify where those tags are from, who shipped them to him?

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hmmm, run into this today. It looks these figs are rare here and MISLABELED?

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Still looking for some?
ebay.de is listing some F. sikkimensis again. After some research, there's nothing like F. sikkimensis, sikkimensis is a synonym of f. neriifolia, neriifolia is salicifolia or salicaria etc...

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Well subulata is a stand alone species as is nerifolia and salicifolia, they are all different to salicaria but yeah the naming thing is a nightmare.
Either they are mislabeled salicaria or a true subulata. They could even be an actual salicifolia perhaps.
I have no doubt some people do use those terms to describe salicaria and well they are technically wrong in doing so but I do have salicifolia seeds somewhere which are the true South African species, these came from Germany(Peter Krebs, sunshine seeds. Not sure if it is the potter.) so that can be thrown in for extra confusion too.

Better buy one to find out once and for all. ;)

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well subulata is a stand alone species as is nerifolia and salicifolia, they are all different to salicaria but yeah the naming thing is a nightmare.
Either they are mislabeled salicaria or a true subulata. They could even be an actual salicifolia perhaps.
I have no doubt some people do use those terms to describe salicaria and well they are technically wrong in doing so but I do have salicifolia seeds somewhere which are the true South African species, these came from Germany(Peter Krebs, sunshine seeds. Not sure if it is the potter.) so that can be thrown in for extra confusion too.

Better buy one to find out once and for all. ;)
Yeah and it's even more complicated.
If sikkimensis is the synonym of subulata, why the leaves of subulata look like this?

Also found one interesting IBC thread.
http://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t8733-willow-leaf-ficus-nomenclature

Attachments

• Ficus salicaria.pdf
    111.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Top Bottom