ficus clump - where to from here on?

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
dug this out someone's garden during covid... have no clue what to do with it... the trunks are too straight.
should i get that middle one to keep growing and step the others down to the shortest on the outside?
any and all suggestions welcome.20231116_073540.jpg20231116_073605.jpg20231116_073635.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My desired front...great potential. Put some movement in those branches that are there. Even if just the secondary branching if unobtainable with the trunks. I like the movement found at the top of that far right trunk. It adds a good visual. And the scar...had me at hello 🥰Screenshot_20231116_014211_Firefox.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'll note...I'm drawn to obtuse triangle canopies. I personally wouldn't make the center trunk my apex point.

That said...this isn't on my bench. Chew over all guidance and find your own vision. And move with it on that direction with a solid conscious

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
It is likely you will need to go backwards a little in order to move forwards with a tree like this.
Developing ficus trunks and branches can be a lot like deciduous trees. Cut straight trunks and branches back to a side branch that gives better bend and taper, grow and repeat. fortunately most ficus are really good at growing back after a chop. A larger pot and plenty of fert should see it grow much faster to build your new structure.

For any multi trunk bonsai the trunks and branches should look natural ie not grow toward a larger trunk or in, under another larger branch. To that end you'll need to chop some of the trunks to a leader that moves out and away from the larger trunks nearby as a first step.

Here are some of my suggestions. As already mentioned, Take all advice with plenty of salt. Look at the actual tree before chopping as often what we see in a photo is not what's really there in 3D
ficus.png
Red lines - chop to remove - straight sections, too tall, growing toward other trunks.
Blue line - chop? Check where that trunk goes before chopping. Does it have a space to grow without interfering with other nearby trunks?
Pink arrow - Shorten the back trunk substantially - to reduce the straight section and to reduce height to leave the 2nd trunk right as dominant.
2nd right trunk - I can't see much of the structure. Look for a spot to reduce the straight parts (even if taht reduces the height to less than others. If that is necessary allow the replacement leaders to grow and develop back to dominant status.
2nd trunk from left - need to decide which way to direct the new trunk (forward, back, etc) Pick one dominant new leader that grows in the desired direction and chop the trunk to that. Grow and chop cycles to develop a better new trunk.

It will still take a few years to change this to a better tree but it can be done.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It is likely you will need to go backwards a little in order to move forwards with a tree like this.
Developing ficus trunks and branches can be a lot like deciduous trees. Cut straight trunks and branches back to a side branch that gives better bend and taper, grow and repeat. fortunately most ficus are really good at growing back after a chop. A larger pot and plenty of fert should see it grow much faster to build your new structure.

For any multi trunk bonsai the trunks and branches should look natural ie not grow toward a larger trunk or in, under another larger branch. To that end you'll need to chop some of the trunks to a leader that moves out and away from the larger trunks nearby as a first step.

Here are some of my suggestions. As already mentioned, Take all advice with plenty of salt. Look at the actual tree before chopping as often what we see in a photo is not what's really there in 3D
View attachment 517540
Red lines - chop to remove - straight sections, too tall, growing toward other trunks.
Blue line - chop? Check where that trunk goes before chopping. Does it have a space to grow without interfering with other nearby trunks?
Pink arrow - Shorten the back trunk substantially - to reduce the straight section and to reduce height to leave the 2nd trunk right as dominant.
2nd right trunk - I can't see much of the structure. Look for a spot to reduce the straight parts (even if taht reduces the height to less than others. If that is necessary allow the replacement leaders to grow and develop back to dominant status.
2nd trunk from left - need to decide which way to direct the new trunk (forward, back, etc) Pick one dominant new leader that grows in the desired direction and chop the trunk to that. Grow and chop cycles to develop a better new trunk.

It will still take a few years to change this to a better tree but it can be done.
I like your direction. I also am drawn to this part I've circled. Its the only thing. I disagree with. I would keep that movement in the upper section. I see more movement leaving it.
Screenshot_20231116_022954_Firefox.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I would keep that movement in the upper section. I see more movement leaving it.
Good point. There are almost always a number of good potential trees in any raw stock so your choice is definitely valid but I still stand by my original choices.
My reasons for shortening that trunk are:
that the movement it has, appears to be turning toward a larger trunk which, in my view, complicates the overall flow.
It is way out on the right side. While that's not always bad I prefer to have the main trunk a little away from the edge of a group or clump.
The 2nd right trunk is the fattest down low so, to me, appears to be the best candidate for main, tallest trunk.

Hope @jason biggs will consider all options offered and work out what suit the real tree and his tastes.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Good point. There are almost always a number of good potential trees in any raw stock so your choice is definitely valid but I still stand by my original choices.
My reasons for shortening that trunk are:
that the movement it has, appears to be turning toward a larger trunk which, in my view, complicates the overall flow.
It is way out on the right side. While that's not always bad I prefer to have the main trunk a little away from the edge of a group or clump.
The 2nd right trunk is the fattest down low so, to me, appears to be the best candidate for main, tallest trunk.

Hope @jason biggs will consider all options offered and work out what suit the real tree and his tastes.
2D and perception is clearly a lacking factor. I seen it as coming towards the viewer.
I think this clearly shows how perception of 2D is seen by different individuals. Which in and of itself...I find fascinating. 🙂

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
cut most of the trunks shorter... i'm thinking the 4th from the left should be cut off??
@Shibui gonna fertilize big time and get the growth going.. (well done with the cricket,
please accept my deepest apology for our useless performance )20231117_064353.jpg20231117_064505.jpg

Top Bottom