When your significant other likes a "different" tree of yours than you do....

So this has me wondering if there are any couples were both are equally into bonsai?

I think my wife acknowledges them in a distant way - as something that looks nice but she doesn't really understand. However every now and then something really catches her eye. Right now, for example one of my azaleas is blooming and she wanted to move it into the house :) When I explained all the reasons why that wouldn't work (except for a few hours at a time) she had me move an outdoor table in front of one of the sliding glass doors and put it there for display :)

Last edited:
So this has me wondering if there are any couples were both are equally into bonsai?
My wife is into houseplants and into bonsai enough to tag along when I go to a bonsai nursery, but never when Im collecting, watering, working on them. She'll sometimes buy a mallsai and just put it on my bench and expect me to care (about) for it.
CW
PS she has no bonsai tools @Smoke.

My wife will come out when its nice and talk to me while sitting in a chair or just read a book and take pictures when I need them. Back in the day she used to distract me by slowly taking off articles of clothing till I cracked. I was usually back working on bonsai in about 7 minutes.....

" I was usually back working on bonsai in about 7 minutes....."

WOW... seven minutes, yer' a "stayer" man! ... I've got a hair trigger; once that bullet is chambered... ha ha...

Hm.. My wife very much dislikes bonsai. So if she would ever see a tree that I can afford and she likes.. It is coming home.
Even if 3 other trees have to be discontinued.

My wife doesnt understand why a western man likes what her grandpa would like. Doesnt know how to grow a weed.......so doesnt have a clue about bonsai........fortunately they tend to accumulate in numbers by themselves.....ummm....found this one wandering the street dear.....will just keep it till I find the owner.

My wife can't keep anything alive to save her life (even her pet goldfish committed suicide, it's like the fish knew that it would die slow like the plants, so it took matters into its own fins)....at least she is aware of it and doesn't even try anymore....
She does like that I can keep things alive, but she's not too keen on all my trees...too many for her liking.... and of course she thinks I spend too much time on the subject of trees...
So I'm already in the mode of dwindling down the number of trees on the deck, and looking to keep fewer, nicer trees....
She'll go the the arboretum with me though, and enjoy it...
Something tells me that she might be more intrigued than she let's on though...

I have enough trees so i can bring them in to work on without she knows if it's a new tree or not. Sometimes she says it's ugly and sometimes she says its nice. When she likes one tree more than i do i might give that tree some more attention. It might be that there is hidden beauty in it i don't see yet. Sometimes i have trees sitting on the bench without working on it because there is nothing in there. I find it amazing that on a certain point the light goes on and you turn the wilderness in a bonsai.

My wife is generally encouraging and often will say that the bench with the trees look quite nice but I have heard the phrase "Stop with your bonsai" far more often. :D
It can even be used in a joking manner as a punishment for the kids, "If you don't behave I'll get you a bonsai for Christmas" kind of thing. In fact I brought a Crabapple for just that reason, they kept moaning at the garden center because they wanted an apple tree but it wouldn't fit in the car so I brought a bonsai instead.

I think she is waiting for me to lose interest and move on but at the same time I get horticultural related gifts so it is not all that bad.
Spring may come as a shock though.

My Wife likes plants and trees - most all but the ones that give her trouble not becoming what she "thought" they would. She leaves my plants alone but is more then willing to help when asked and has her own tools.
I most often care for 95 percent of her plants as far as water, fertilizer, and providing indoors Winter quarters(I am retired she is not). She trims, wires, and pots her own. I ask her on occasion about plants/trees I am growing and I get straight up answers so we interact a LOT when it comes to our "hobby".
When it comes to shopping for any plants, either while out, on vacation, or online we are always together on it and when possible take the dog along :rolleyes:
I feel Blessed after reading the "differences" many have ;)

Merry Christmas!

Grimmy

" I was usually back working on bonsai in about 7 minutes....."

WOW... seven minutes, yer' a "stayer" man! ... I've got a hair trigger; once that bullet is chambered... ha ha...
It's probably a long walk from the bonsai area to the boudoir...:rolleyes:

I have enough trees so i can bring them in to work on without she knows if it's a new tree or not. Sometimes she says it's ugly and sometimes she says its nice. When she likes one tree more than i do i might give that tree some more attention. It might be that there is hidden beauty in it i don't see yet. Sometimes i have trees sitting on the bench without working on it because there is nothing in there. I find it amazing that on a certain point the light goes on and you turn the wilderness in a bonsai.
That's pretty good! Dazzle her with sheer numbers. ;)

This reminds me about a convo my husband and I had about my trees.

One late fall, early winter night, we were outside the open garage door. I had recently put my trees in there for the winter. He looks in the garage and asks me about how much money I figured I had invested into all those trees? I did a quick mental calculation and gave him an honest number.

I figured out later he was trying to justify a purchase for a new hobby he was starting....lol. Not that I would give him grief over it. Our bills are paid and he had the extra money. If it gives him something he enjoys to do besides sitting in front of the TV, it's a good thing.

This is how the neighbour worked it out --------

They had a maid.

He gave her an account for the house and a separate account for her.
He paid the maid.

When they went abroad, he gave her money for spending.

No joint account.

They are still together, happily --------- 55 years.

Aint luv a many splendid thing.
Natale.
Anthony

One late fall, early winter night, we were outside the open garage door. I had recently put my trees in there for the winter. He looks in the garage and asks me about how much money I figured I had invested into all those trees? I did a quick mental calculation and gave him an honest number.

I figured out later he was trying to justify a purchase for a new hobby he was starting....lol. Not that I would give him grief over it. Our bills are paid and he had the extra money. If it gives him something he enjoys to do besides sitting in front of the TV, it's a good thing.

So! He's taking up woodcarving?
;):D

Do you have any sisters? ;)

Back
Top Bottom