What's wrong with my bonsai?

Reaction score
I got both of these bonsai a few days apart and have taken care of them the same way; same watering schedule and same soil. The only difference has been placement around the house. The right one sits in the kitchen with no direct sunlight. The left one goes from a room with no direct sunlight to another room near a window with almost no sunlight. That spot does get reflected sunlight (off another building). I've since moved it from sitting in that spot. Both started out looking green and healthy, but the one on the left has looked brown for months. I've had both since around July 2020. What's wrong with the left bonsai? Was the reflected sunlight enough to damage it? Is there no bringing it back? Is it just dead?

IMG_3091.jpeg

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Probably an issue with the roots. These are outdoor trees, and while they may survive inside, they will not thrive they will ultimately die long before they actually "show" it.

If you're looking for an indoor bonsai, you'll need a different species of tree. But even "indoor" bonsai would rather be outdoors during the late spring/ summer months

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Welcome, wanderer! The Woody Dwarves are “chompin’ at the bit” to pass information to you. So I will not take too long with pleasantries. :)

As stated above.. these are (Appear to be)outdoor trees, temperate species...they REQUIRE light (beyond normal human-ly possible artificiality) and a very strictly defined dormancy... this is going to be ALMOST-all.. if not ALL of your problem.

There is a resource available on this site.

I’m betting... based on your screen name, that moving these guys outside would be no problem, climate-wise. If it is actually COLD by you, you may have to attempt to provide the MOST indoor light (south-facing window-supplemental grow lights within 12”) and “limp” til spring.... but I’m bettin’ it’s fairly warm.

Pleasure to make your acquaintance.

🤓

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I would put this in the basement/ coldest area you can for a month. I understand that might not be that cool in your situation. Water lightly. After a months time, fertilizer and water and reintroduced to direct sun.
Prune off death.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
There is no place in So Cal that these can't immediately go outside and the near dead one may, or may not survive with the possible exception of up a mountain. Look outside. If you don't see snow, put them outdoors in full sun and water when the media is dry to the touch of your finger, probably every day or every other day if the humidity is below 70%. Only the very best bonsaiist could keep a Juniper alive indoors, and none would try. Go buy a fig for the bright room and a plastic plant for the low light room.

Top Bottom