What's wrong with this Amur?

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I got this Amur from Brent at gardenworks. It came leafed out in the mail. I slip potted it into a bigger pot, and now it has stalled. Any idea what night be going on?
IMG_5204.jpegIMG_5206.jpegIMG_5205.jpeg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
When slip potting into a larger pot, I run into the issue that the core or the plant sometimes doesn't get enough water, because the rest of the soil drains too fast.
This might be a similar case. One of the few cases where I think a watering tray could help.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A quick look at Denver weather says you all are getting nights into the low to mid 30's. The plant came from an area that is ten degrees warmer than that. The plant is likely reacting to that change. Cold slows the down.

I'd also check that soil or gravel you have it in--if you surrounded the existing root mass with the same, roots might be suffering from being dry on the outer portion of the root mass and wet interior. Far different soil types in the same container can kill plants or slow them down. Root are very reluctant to cross over into different soil types.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Slip potting is always unnecessary.

Sorce

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thank you, @Wires_Guy_wires and @rockm. The root ball is getting enough water, as per the chopstick I have in it. Temperature might be the issue, although I have been protecting all my plants when it drops under 30 degrees. Temps should be going up soon. Hopefully, it will rebound

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A quick look at Denver weather says you all are getting nights into the low to mid 30's. The plant came from an area that is ten degrees warmer than that. The plant is likely reacting to that change. Cold slows the down.

I'd also check that soil or gravel you have it in--if you surrounded the existing root mass with the same, roots might be suffering from being dry on the outer portion of the root mass and wet interior. Far different soil types in the same container can kill plants or slow them down. Root are very reluctant to cross over into different soil types.
I did use a similar potting soil, not inorganics nor a bonsai mix. If anything, the root ball might be too wet

Top Bottom