What's the most you have ever spent on a single tree? (finished or pre-bonsai or yamadori or raw stock)

What it the most you have ever spent on a single piece of material/tree? (results will be anonymous)

• $10,000 or more

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • $5,000 - $9,999

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • $2,000 - $4,999

Votes: 21 7.6%
  • $1,000 - $1,999

Votes: 30 10.9%
  • $500 - $999

Votes: 54 19.6%
  • $200 - $499

Votes: 72 26.1%
  • Less than $200

Votes: 88 31.9%

• Total voters

circledisk

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
If my husband spent that much on a dress for me (which would never happen BTW) I would make him take it back immediately and buy me a tree.
We all have different priorities!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I never understood why people have fights over trees and money. Very early on we decided we would not want to have discussions over money for personal purchases. So we each have our own bank account next to the joint account. Married, yes, individual life, yes too. Fights over money spent on hobbies; never.

Kievnstavick

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I never understood why people have fights over trees and money. Very early on we decided we would not want to have discussions over money for personal purchases. So we each have our own bank account next to the joint account. Married, yes, individual life, yes too. Fights over money spent on hobbies; never.
That's what my wife and I do. We have separate accounts to pay for things of our own accord. We just make sure that the bills are covered.

The most she really does is try to make sure I am making a decent purchase and am putting some money in my savings. I am a little bit of an impulsive buyer in all things and she is a loose leash to keep me from getting myself in trouble.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am much more likely to spend money on a tree than expense clothing.

We also have the same arrangement with separate accounts. As long as the bills are paid, money set aside for savings/emergencies/repairs/retirement, we can use the rest of our own money for hobbies, etc.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Not that I'm really in the market, but I wouldn't even know where to buy a more finished tree (other than Wigerts and maybe a few on Brussels). All I really see are varying degrees of pre-bonsai. Don't get me wrong, I love my Brussels' specimen trees, but they are just pre-bonsai in my eyes and end up with serious work done to them. So where are you all finding these $5k+ trees?

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not that I'm really in the market, but I wouldn't even know where to buy a more finished tree (other than Wigerts and maybe a few on Brussels). All I really see are varying degrees of pre-bonsai. Don't get me wrong, I love my Brussels' specimen trees, but they are just pre-bonsai in my eyes and end up with serious work done to them. So where are you all finding these $5k+ trees?

Mirai, Bjorn before his move, Todd Schlafer, the FB auctions have higher end material recently as well.

There aren't a whole lot of vendors selling these trees. I'd guess bonsai networking is what opens the door to a lot of these purchases.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
HOBBY reminded me of the time I met Shinji Suzuki and we were having coffee and having a good talk. Then I used the word HOBBY 趣味 to describe my bonsai interest and he got up and walked away. Did he have to pee? we may never know.
Maybe he had heard this word preceded by おじいさん one too many times...one of the few phrases I know in Japanese after mentioning I do bonsai in Japan a few times

baron

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Closest nursery near me and I spend every saturday there 😅
Could easily drop 50k there in a blink

edit: yes, this is Europe. I have a feeling theres a lot more 'mature' nurseries in europe (Italy, Spain,...)?

bdmatt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'm guessing most of the high end finished trees (10k plus) are sold through networking. At least that's how my teacher does it. He has an established set of clients that he offers trees to. He recently increased the number of trees imported from Japan, stuff that easily belongs at the Kokufu. The trees are only at the garden for a month before they're shipped off to a client. Rarely does he advertise them publicly.

mj_barb

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I’m very interested in the number of trees everyone is buying per year. After a few years of having a proper yard I am out of space, so really focusing on buying 1 or 2 better trees per year.

My wife and I keep “Fun Times Funds” (I call mine bonsai bucks) spreadsheets for money to spend on our hobbies. This is more to encourage us to spend rather than restrict. We usually gift each other money for holidays and add things we sell, gifts from others, fantasy football winnings, etc. Obviously everyone’s financial situation is different but this works for us.

For the record I have won fantasy football 3 out of 4 times since we enacted this.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm guessing most of the high end finished trees (10k plus) are sold through networking. At least that's how my teacher does it. He has an established set of clients that he offers trees to. He recently increased the number of trees imported from Japan, stuff that easily belongs at the Kokufu. The trees are only at the garden for a month before they're shipped off to a client. Rarely does he advertise them publicly.
That's mostly how several high end sellers I know of around here sell trees. I know one nursery that only sells high end trees (over $5000), but mostly cares for those high end trees for their owners.

There is a shadow market, of sorts, for really really good trees that isn't seen much at shows or local clubs. Owners of those trees tend not to want to let people know they have what they have. They're not online either (or at least not very intentionally visible), for the most part.

Doug Paul, who owns the Kennett Collection has an astounding collection of extremely high end imported (and domestic) bonsai, is in that crowd, but he's generous with time and visibility of his trees. He's is also one of the first Americans to have a tree exhibited at Kokufu (about 15 years ago now)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
As long as all your expenses are paid for in life why not spend it on a hobby. You folks planning on taking those numbers in your bank account with you when you die?
You'd be surprised how quickly one medical incident can change your life (if you're in the US that is)

Top Bottom